SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE šŸ’€

Iā€™m a big tunes person but when struggling at a boss I kill all sound so thereā€™s nothing but movement, usually get snappier

75% Unheard Aid

1 Like

Iā€™ve been lamestyling certain minibosses by drawing a bunch of aggro and killing all the mooks and then running away until their awareness resets and getting the backstab in and then fighting them normally for their one remaining health bar.

Iā€™m not good at the combat but the combat feels so good for me. Instead of multiple attack buttons and one avoid-damage button this game has 3 avoid-damage buttons and only one attack button.

1 Like

ok so maybe i spoke too soon about the frustration thing lmao

iā€™m stuck on the same boss as Rye. iā€™ve gotten it down within a few hits of death, and not succeeded. didnā€™t realize sneaking up was possibleā€¦

iā€™ve tried between 20 and 30 times. itā€™s kind of nuts.

anyway, my biggest issue is that it feels like some attacks just lock on to you and it doesnā€™t matter how much or when you dodge, youā€™re just fucked, which i donā€™t really love, because the mechanics donā€™t seem ideal for what theyā€™re asking me to do. kind of wish all combat stuck to the deflect -> attack concept, which is fun and feels good.

that said, idk if iā€™d say itā€™s ā€œworseā€ than Souls or BB. mostly because iā€™ve always thought From bosses are kind of bullshit.

Iā€™m really not good at deflecting or reading the visual cues so I usually end up blocking and eating a bunch of posture damage. Iā€™ve had much better luck keeping my distance from some minibosses, dodging their slow wind-up ā€˜close the gapā€™ attacks and punishing from there. Once you unlock the skill tree it becomes really easy and safe to punish those deadly thrust attacks from minibosses.

Which boss are you two talking about?

It runs marvelously on my laptop (which, to be fair, is an expensive gaming battlestation). Iā€™m loving it so far, Iā€™ve found the battle tutorials to be helpful, I understood how to mitigate rot a bit before the game explained it. Itā€™s only after meeting a couple other minibosses I understood that general dude was supposed to be one. In fact it was at the shinobi hunter, who needed a dozen tries but even without getting the counter my approach was to backstab him for starters and then chip away at his health between his attacks. I had to see the fog before I got that he was a boss and I kinda count that as a good thing.

The level design is great. Finding the snake skin [hint at a future boss] was wonderful.

I am loving it. When Iā€™m at my most stealthy Iā€™m actually running and flying all over the place, itā€™s a spiderbatman game.

3 Likes

technically not a boss, itā€™s the first armored dude you encounter on the outskirts who has two healthbars.

okay i went back, i used felixā€™s tip there and ended up crawling around the rooftops and getting the jump on him. after that, it was much easier to finish him off with the upper hand.

that was the gameā€™s first clue to me: hey! donā€™t progress through this thing like you did a souls level, walking through and taking down hazards as you came to them.

weā€™re given lots of movement tools for a reason: sneaking around and picking your fights is much more conducive to survival. as opposed to having one or two paths through an area, now youā€™ve got ten or twenty. be on the lookout for ways around stuff, in some situations you can often avoid conflict entirely.

5 Likes

oops, no, i misread. iā€™m on the Oni

well iā€™ll look forward to that, haha

1 Like

Second night of playing, I have improved with the combat and took down two miniboss dudes and the Ogre. Getting much better at utilizing the gameā€™s phenomenal moveset to traverse the levels unnoticed and get those stealth kills. Seriously just moving around in this game is 100x the joy of a Souls game (which at a certain point will stop being a useful comparison).

I donā€™t think what youā€™re referring to as lamestyle up there is lame at all, itā€™s the way itā€™s supposed to be done! Being bumrushed by all the enemies in a given place is never going to be easy to deal with, and getting deathblows is the point. The combat is about efficiency and maximizing your advantages.

I did get to the first Real Big Boss and shit thatā€™s gonna be a challenge. I watched Chris Person do it on stream earlier though so I know it can be done. A hint is to get the Firecrackers, which will scare the horse.

1 Like

I noticed then=m pushing the mouthful ā€˜fight cleverlyā€™ as a tagline, I assume they meant it but also had trouble communicating the exact pace it expects.

Demonā€™s Souls was famously good at teaching its tricky pace, Iā€™m not feeling that way about this as the stamina/finisher combat encourages strong aggression while the stealth kills discourage it, and then bosses toss a lot out. Mixed teaching signals.

if youā€™re not aggressive in your stealth, re-evaluate how you pursue stealth.

I took down the shinobi hunter on my second try, felt like a total pushover.

This game doesnā€™t actually need to be as aggressive in combat as you think, because you can totally whittle minibosses down so that their posture never improves. Thereā€™s this great push-pull with vitality and posture where different enemy fighting styles demand you fight them in different ways.

Played this for a couple hours and a bunch of thoughts are swimming around in my head, but one that keeps bubbling to the top is:

ā€¦You have to hold Square to vacuum in money (like a Cave shooter!)? Really? Itā€™s the one design choice so far I canā€™t reconcile the value of. Any ideas? Maybe itā€™s to prevent hit 'n run abuse and make sure the area is semi-safe before you earn your spoilsā€¦? But then why have the vacuuming part.

vacuuming up money also alerts enemies that are already suspicious, so it has a risk-reward element to it.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t gotten to anything challenging yet, Iā€™m in the area where you get the shuriken wheel - if youā€™re thorough in your exploration at least

And so far I like this more than any souls game. (have never played BB though) I like the setting way more and also the gameplay, itā€™s no comparison really, so Iā€™ll stop comparing them. Iā€™m excited to find out how many seconds Iā€™ve got left until I hit a wall and bounce off of this!

1 Like

Itā€™s a very different mode of play, though, and Iā€™m struggling to see how theyā€™re teaching the player to perform it correctly, more than struggling with my own performance at it.

i think i love it? iā€™m getting annihilated repeatedly by the Chained Ogre but it has never at any point been unenjoyable? think iā€™m gonna continue playing in a few minutes

5 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve been having a great time with this too. The three modes of dodging are a bit much to process sometimes, but once you learn a boss itā€™s pretty doable. Tulpaā€™s tip about punishing them to chip off their health helped a lot.

Just got through the snake encounter, that shit was cool as hell.

Sekiro sekirowns

4 Likes

Ok, got to that familiar point of ā€œwhich boss will you beat firstā€ andā€¦the one I chose was the fairest, coolest challenge so far. imo one of the very best theyā€™ve done. I must tried 40-50 times and could only keep banging my head against that wall because itā€™s that much of a dance. Not exactly super fun but phew wires and daggers lady butterfly - I got a good method before long but lasting almost to her 2nd deathblow died so so many times

Really wish I done the other first - for being so intimidating itā€™s extremely easy - clop chop block ore oniwa gyoubu!!! Par for the course but evading isnā€™t nearly as important as blocking

Iā€™m feeling like Wolf looks, thatā€™s enough for now