SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE šŸ’€

(hips donā€™t lie voice) Sekiro, Sekiro

8 Likes

i died by getting spotted by the first guy in the tutorial area so this is already going well

the practice dummy was my next stop, so iā€™m feeling equipped enough to kobe

I donā€™t think sekiro is any harder or more punishing than the rest of fromā€™s games. I also didnā€™t have a problem with the tutorials. I just went to the practice dummy npc and practiced all the fundamentals of combat so I understood how to play before there was any risk. I still die a lot but itā€™s always my fault!

2 Likes

yeah, iā€™m not really personally experiencing the frustration people in this thread seem to be having. similarly, my deaths are definitely my own fault. it feels like a good stealth action game to me?

iā€™m wondering what the difference between die and ressurect is. iā€™ve only chosen to die, and after dying a few times at the Hirata estate time-travel mission, it told me something about ā€œDragon Rotā€

1 Like

thereā€™s no reason not to resurrect ā€“ itā€™s just an extra life that replenishes periodically and if you have it you should use it.

the initial impressions were written as though resurrecting would somehow have a negative impact that just opting to die would not, so I started out trying to play that way, but not only is that not true, deaths after which you donā€™t resurrect are what actually count against you in small ways, so by trying not to use the benefit I was actually producing the opposite outcome

2 Likes

ahhh ok. yeah, i did the same haha

thereā€™s a lot of ā€¦ meet-you-halfway design in this that seems to be an effort to make the game more accessible but in practice it consistently feels worse to me than anything in souls or bloodborne, like they had a solution and now theyā€™re trying to replace it with something that doesnā€™t really work

Iā€™m surprised I havenā€™t seen a single critical piece on the game to this extent yet among all those ā€œwe played it for 50 hours after the embargo lifted to bring your early impressionsā€ not-reviews but go figure

Itā€™s probably because it does work?

Just got my wisdom teeth pulled and bought lots of soft groceries and am excitedly looking forward to the total lock-in Iā€™m gonna have with this game and suffering for 4+ hours on various bosses. The white lance dude was not taking any of my shit last night. Glad to see the difficulty is causing a meltdown here and that Bobby Kotick cut a blank check for Miyazaki to get uncompromising in style. 2019 is being an extremely good year for videogames.

This isnā€™tā€¦accurate?

When you Resurrect, the tally goes up to eventually give you a Rot Essence. Each one in your inventory lowers the chance of you getting Unseen Aid; which is a roll of the die after you ultimately die to keep your whole skills pts and sen/money.

If you choose to not use Resurrects as often, you donā€™t get rot as often, and therefore maintain (at least early in the game) a max 30% chance of keeping all skill pts/sen on death.

So the idea is, only Resurrect if you feel youā€™ll make it, otherwise accept the death with a better (though not great) chance of no loss. Like a lite respawn if youā€™re almost won or use it strategically.

Rot can be ā€œremovedā€

5 Likes

huh, I was actually trying to test it both ways and it consistently seemed to produce the opposite outcome

mustā€™ve gotten unlucky with the probabilities

Once youā€™re at 3 rots I donā€™t think it can get any worse so resurrect away until you restore your probability. At least it seems so, I donā€™t want to look into it.

the first serious enemy iā€™ve had to fight has killed me aboutā€¦ well enough times that the game warped me away to a cut-scene and told me that everyone was dying because i sucked so much. it definitely feels like my fault that i died, but yikes i did not expect the game to demand so much of me so soon.

EDIT: okay, thatā€™s about 20 tries and i canā€™t do more than break his first bar on a good attempt. if this is the first non-boss the game has for me, then oof, how would i even hope to deal with whatā€™s ahead.

iā€™ll try again later, but i can see where people are getting frustrated. you are punished so harshly. i can respect it, but i donā€™t know if itā€™s for me right now.

1 Like

fwiw, it seems to be a thing with the multi-bar guys that you can always sneak around the arena and get a stab on them before the fight so you only have to deal with a single bar after that

this solution becomes rapidly less fun if you have to do it across multiple attempts

(I wouldnā€™t characterize myself as frustrated so much as unexcited at the prospect of what the game is offering me at this point)

1 Like

oh yeah, thatā€™s fair. maybe itā€™s more accurate to say that iā€™m less frustrated, and more like, ā€œthis isnā€™t what i feel like doing on my friday night.ā€

i guess i bought this and i guess iā€™m going to stream it

Picture my rictus grin on discovering another videogame with lethal poultry

10 Likes

Really hoped I could lamestyle the miniboss guys by getting a cheeky backstab in, running away, waiting for the aggro cooldown and getting another one in

I set an ogre on fire

1 Like

i like that what i think are the equivalents of the lizards/geckos from demonā€™s souls are called treasure carp. itā€™s fun to say!

4 Likes

Meanwhile I think Iā€™m really enjoying the level design so far, itā€™s accommodating

3 Likes