SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE šŸ’€

did you really think this was the way people responded?

for me personally (and Iā€™m 95% sure for the others who reacted negatively too) it was more along the lines of ā€œI cannot imagine wanting to listen to one of these lore guys spout off before Iā€™ve played the game itself, it seems like the most joyless possible way to experience it.ā€ I have no objection to glancing at a wiki at some point once I need to, but thatā€™s not how I think of those youtube videos.

Fine, but I think heā€™s probably the exception to that rule. I think you should give him a chance and then maybe judge him instead of automatically assuming heā€™s some literal-minded zombie. Maybe I should have said thereā€™s no spoilers in the video and etc.

2 Likes

Fatigued Souls 2: This game sucks cause it isnā€™t more like the souls games Iā€™m sick of

8 Likes

literally one person said anything remotely negative in response to posting that video and he was super polite about it

Weā€™re accustomed to From games being something you want to go into unspoiled and unpeel for yourself, thatā€™s all, i donā€™t even think it was a value judgment on vaatividya

1 Like

I havenā€™t gotten there yet but I did find a little secret area where I saw a giant snakeskin hanging from the trees and thought it was an awesome bit of foreshadowing

2 Likes

this seems a little too far on the side of shutting down criticism ā€“ many of us adored bloodborne which was meaningfully, spectacularly different, and playing dark 3 after that was manifestly less interesting

I didnā€™t want them to make dark souls 4, but it doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m happy with a lot of the design decisions here

1 Like

I woke up early and fought that damn Shinobi Hunter for like two hours, the next two bosses were die a a few times tough but nothing like how hard it was to circle, evade, and parry his moveset. Only encounter type I feel like I canā€™t get a good grasp on yet. Mikiri counter rocks, when you can see where the window actually isā€¦

Gameā€™s pretty good so far, gonna have to digest a lot more before I try thinking at length about it. I love how it feels to run and jump except that trying to do a basic reach/grip doesnā€™t always track very well on a lot of ledges.

i think iā€™m done with this game, honestly.

iā€™m stuck on the same bosses who kill me in one hit, no matter what i do. the controls donā€™t work right half the time. the skills iā€™ve unlocked are completely useless (the one that counters spear thrusts straight up doesnā€™t work on the boss who uses a spear). you canā€™t buy any healing items that could help you. and it doesnā€™t help that the combat straight up sucks and fucking gives you the ā€œgit gudā€ routine, like you havenā€™t been playing these games for the last ten years.

that guy made me refund the game

Iā€™m also a little concerned at this point that there seem to be a lot of turnkey powerups that are near-necessary to make some of the bossfights doable, and the game requires you to internalize the logic of ā€œI guess Iā€™ve gone as far as I can go on this path until I proceed on another one to get the boost I need,ā€ when fromā€™s recent work has never fallen victim to that kind of gating. and having like, megaman weaknesses doesnā€™t square that well with this gameā€™s approach to death, particularly when itā€™s operating with such a reduced kit from their prior titles.

1 Like

I beat that Hunter without the counter, couldnā€™t get it timed well enough.

I get your rationale but I think youā€™re just so used to looking at the moving parts in progression that here the seams are showing as if they were jagged. Everything Iā€™ve done from the beginning could be done near the starting loadout - youā€™d just have to become extremely good at timing, this is From going a step more towards fighting game/character action precision and it seems to have less tells than Ninja Gaiden or Nioh.

iā€™m getting nervous, iā€™d better stop reading this thread but woah, surprised people are checking out early

Itā€™s really, really strange to ship a game this hard and not have any difficulty options. All the games we could compare this to have easy modes. Maybe From discounted how much RPG mechanics act as difficulty? I was worried about this before launch but assumed theyā€™d have cushion built in, that they understood their audience enough to be at least somewhat accomodating.

My take so far on what Miyazaki and crew wanted to do during-after their breather:

• how do we move on? in a direction true to at least one of our tenets
  • setting, story, letā€™s go more homegrown less western mesh fantasy
  • how do we please? accentuate the biggest buzz themeā€¦ā€œHardā€
  • boil it all down to what will test mettle
  • fold you over 1000 times
3 Likes

this game sounds like real i absolutely have to play, burn out on, keep on my shelf for a decade hours

3 Likes

calming down a bit, and iā€™ve figured out a couple of things. one, getting a full prayer bead necklace is enough to power you up to beat juzou the drunkard and the blazing bull. and running around, i found a few other areas easier in difficulty, and let to a really fun boss fight that actually had a unique gimmick.

i donā€™t know where iā€™m at with this game yet as to whether itā€™s actually good and i havenā€™t quite mastered it yet, or if itā€™s fucking shit and iā€™m just trying to find some way to justify dropping sixty bones on it.

1 Like

this divisiveness makes me want the game even more. not gonna have the money until tomorrow or the next day though!!

and iā€™ll probably never have the time to play it!!! but iā€™ll buy it anyway

the real true crime is that i get no heady triple aaa feeling from this, so ghost of tsushima will be infinitely less interesting and probably more palatable for the layed man
maybe itā€™ll steal the thunder from the sky even!

1 Like

what if this game isā€¦ the dark soulsā€¦ of dark souls

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 people blood-poisoned this post

10 Likes

come on we all know itā€™s the friends we made along the way

1 Like

This is tense!

2 Likes