SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE šŸ’€

it begins

1 Like

Could this be newer Nvidia driver shit? I havenā€™t updated mine for ages and itā€™s running fine

Youā€™re in a good position with this one because while it still requires a high level of skill to master from what Iā€™ve gathered listening to people talk about it traditional Souls games have trained players to approach the combat a certain way while this one requires approaching it in a completely different way. So true doom Souls heads will have to acclimate and retrain themselves in their basic approach to the combat but brand new players wonā€™t have that (potential) handicap.

I actually started over after my first hour because I wasnā€™t playing the game the way it wanted me to and the penalties on death were getting me, and now Iā€™ve played for half as long and am twice as far and havenā€™t died

itā€™s good

Yo @Felix, how did you get it unlocked on Steam? VPN?

Da

i played through the tutorial level and wandered around a little bit after that. so farā€¦super into it. it seems like the option for stealth/non-engagement with enemies vs. plunging right into a fight is almost always an option, if the initial stage is an indicator for the game at large.

the action is definitely faster and, well, how do i put it? like if the Souls series had good combat? donā€™t get me wrong; i love the slow windups and swinging around of Bloodborne and Souls, but this is just a very, very different feeling. snappy and immedidate; it feels good coming off of DMCV.

this is way more pleasant to play than any of the souls games

1 Like

Iā€™m missing the ponderous weight of those games here but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get used to it

1 Like

Got a recommendation for an easy free VPN I can use?

Tunnelbear

but I think youā€™re all of 90 minutes out from the proper release at this point

1 Like

itā€™s a lot floatier while being not much less punishing and it encourages you to play it much faster than you probably should.

when I was first running and jumping around after the tutorial level I wasnā€™t convinced that it was the right fit for the usual punishment on death but I think the risk:reward when youā€™re pressing the advantage to break an enemyā€™s guard makes it work

I played this for a few hoursā€¦ Iā€™m not really into it so far. It doesnā€™t seem that interesting at all to me (like a Souls game usually is). I think this is mostly down to the fact that the combat in Soulsy games have honestly never been the biggest draw for me. I much more enjoy the spooky dungeon crawling, exploration, character building, multiplayer and casting magic missile a billion times. This game has none of that.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also finding the bosses way too tough (the ā€œdangerous attackā€ signal is really ambiguous, and the way you have to try to skirt their whole arena to get a stab on them to make the combat not twice as hard is kind of boring) and I hate that thereā€™s still negative effects on the game world from dying more than once in a row, it used to be that you lost your souls and that was it

I just bought this for Nine Dollaridoos
thanks for the xmas gift card, Mum

I am not convinced I like it

this is definitely the most difficult to appreciate work theyā€™ve made since theyā€™ve been hot shit and I think a lot of people are going to find it underappreciated (itā€™s definitely like, cheaper than bloodborne and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that) but I am not having a great time

ugh, WHY WON"T IT LOAD!?

the tone is also somewhat unbearably straightforward given the difficulty? like instead of being a bleak comedy RPG with a great sampling of mythologies itā€™s just a sengoku thing with some souls NPCs sprinkled in

the nice thing about having to keep my steam offline after having used a VPN to unlock it is that Iā€™m still eligible for a refund lol

Iā€™m gonna stop being negative though and let others form impressions!

that dangerous attack popup is such a bad misstep though, I have to really work to ignore it to learn how enemies telegraph their windups idk what they were thinking

and the dark souls callbacks do not seem confident or fun, they seem token

I guess this is where I check out and deliberately ignore the thread until I have time to actually play the game and make my own impressions without expectations nor protips

See yā€™all in 500 posts or so

Okay I played a bit more and uhh yeah I think Iā€™m done. Nothing about this game appeals to me much at all. I guess I just suck and donā€™t have the patience for this red-light-green-light parry mechanic. I could probably grind for the 40 hours it would take to beat this game buuut I think Iā€™ll just watch like 20 movies instead.

Someone let me know when they patch in robes and wizard hats.

1 Like