SB2 Mario Maker World Jam

I really like farting around with the balloon powerup but as someone who only ever built a few square rooms in Descent and Build Engine am struggling to build just one jam-worthy level (I don’t see myself cranking out a coherent world’s worth before Sunday) My creative capacity is limited to boring bullet hell corridors that don’t even reach off-brand Bangai-O.

4 days left!!

I’ve got 3 levels in the can, 2 more in the works. I also added my pre-existing levels to a second…world…in an order that sort of makes sense. So it’s a nice, full package

These last two levels will hopefully be pretty quick to make, going to try and finish them on Thursday. I like a lot of the work I’ve done here!

I’ve got two submissions so far, and I’ll post everything on the 15th, so make sure you get yours sent by the end of the 14th!

1 Like

just gotta deal with these last few clear checks…

1 Like

It looks like I won’t get this done unless I have a wildly MM2-centric Saturday. I wish I’d felt like making games much these last few weeks.

Meantime, just gonna state that the “Peach in distress” image used for the SMM2 worlds is absolutely grotesque and off-putting.

2 Likes

No worries, we can always drop it into the thread later, y’know?

I’ve got 4 levels completed, 1 level is 75% done. I think the last couple of levels in the world will not be my best work, but I’m happy enough with it. I’ve ended up making 1 level in each style, though they’re not in chronological order in the world or anything. I tried my best to stick what I think the strengths of the original games were, but adding like…Mario Maker Twists, y’know?

I’m such a traditionalist when it comes to this stuff, it’s actually kind of funny.

Anyway, will hopefully be done with all 5 tonight - then I gotta upload, take screenshots and call it a day!!!

I am DONE baby, heck yes. Not 100% happy with the last two stages, but I am also proud of myself for getting SOMETHING rather than NOTHING done.

Submit by tomorrow to have your world in the first batch of releases - DM me a description, the code, and optionally screenshots. I’ll post 'em all on Monday!! Even if it’s not 100% done I’d love to share it with folks here. It’s up to you though.

So far I’ve got 3 submissions, so 4 worlds total for everyone to play through. That’s a big chunk of Mario Maker stuff!!

5 Likes

Putting this together later in the day, if there are any stragglers you can sneak in under the deadline for the next few hours.

1 Like

It’s time!!! First, here’s how you use these codes:

And, in the order they were received, here are the 5 worlds made for this jam!! Descriptions are by the makers, screenshots are sometimes the creators’ and sometimes my own.

@Morkitten World

LF4-BWY-40G

I didn’t have the time to design a whole world from scratch so this is just a collection of my favorite level creations! Please enjoy! There’s something for everyone! A sample of all the EXCITING things you’ll be doing:

Mischievous cat adventures in… “WHAT COULD PAWSSIBLY GO WRONG?”

The koopa audience is in awe of such high-speed drifting technique! This is… “INITIAL P”!

Hard and exciting boss battles that once you’ll clear’em, you’ll definitely yell… “EAT SHELL, LUDWIG”!

@Mr_Mechanical World

CM7-7VH-01H

Description: Larry took over the Castle! Kick him out of there… if you dare!

Super Daddy’s Tower World (by @bib)

NBG-N3K-2LG

super daddy’s tower world is a narrative-driven campaign where your choice matters— as long as your choice is to kill daddy

@VastleCania World

BKG-1CD-QLF

5 levels in the sky, one for each style, and kinda-sorta thematically tied to the world itself. I tried to stick to the strengths of the original game each style is based on, and I think I succeeded! The second half is all my previous levels as well, but now in an exciting new “forked path” format.

Float Track Isle by @zombieman000

BXQ-QR4-JFG

Enjoy a brief tour of Float Track Isle, a small desert island with a railroad system overrun by local wildlife. Use the locally-grown Balloon Fruit to be propelled along by gentle wind and sea currents and traverse the isle, but beware the belligerent wildlife.

Thanks to everyone for participating! This was a ton of fun to put together, and I’m glad we have so many levels to go through!!!

I haven’t had a chance to play through many of these yet, but I’m going to give it a shot over the next few days. And I think everyone is cool with discussion around the levels here too. I’m curious what y’all think about my world, at least.

10 Likes

i drew a tower on my face

it’s daddy’s

4 Likes

@morkitten’s world is fun but i didn’t get very far because i apparently don’t know some of the nuances of cat suit, i couldn’t figure out how to get up the wall near the piranha vine, lol. will go back soon

@Mr_Mechanical’s is really nice! i love levels with a sense of sort of comprehensible space, and that’s what i always end up trying to make-- i really like the airship level here where you can run along the ship proper or pipe down and jump around the underside. after playing this i also think that if i ever dig back into making i’m gonna do daddy’s autoscrolling tower world next

@VastleCania’s is of course a delight. i made it to the last of your new levels and died at the boss too many times. between those five levels there’s moles and spikes and chomps and a difficult castle in NES style, which together form my whole mario maker aesthetic, so basically i love it

haven’t played @zombieman000’s yet, but looking forward to it! the screenshots are already giving me a headache!!!

4 Likes

I played Cania’s world so far, and my highlight is Cloud Capers: It was an absolutely incredible level, that was one of the most if not the most fun vertical autoscroller level I’ve played on Mario Maker. I love how you first put the player in a non-autoscroller space to introduce the concepts that you’re gonna use on your next autoscroller segment. It’s a really well realized level!!

The secret in Seesaws in the Sky took me forever to get to it

1 Like

How did you end up doing it? There’s a way to do it using Kuribo’s Shoe and there’s the intended way, using the POW block. I’m curious what people are doing to get in here

Also thank you for the kind words you two!!! I’ll play some of these tonight, probably, if I can drag myself away from Nuclear Throne

so uhhhh how do I do spoiler tag here again so I can tell you how and also to reply to @bib without spoiling to others

[spoiler] and [/spoiler] or hit the gear and use the ‘blur spoiler’ button

Don’t worry, my levels are underdeveloped and janky but there are enough powerups scattered around to brute force through everything and it’s mercifully short! Excited to play everyone’s!

so I used the POW block like you said, but I couldn’t squeeze myself in there. then I tried it with Small Mario and it was much easier

Did you get through those flying Dry Bones with the Cat Dive attack? Press Z while in the air to do it. With the Piranha Vine, just follow it as it grows using the wall, then follow the coins: you’re supposed to hop onto its head, then do a quick turnaround and catdive back towards the wall

Also regarding my levels, unfortunately I lied when I said you’d be playing touched up versions of my levels. I thought that if I touched them up offline and put them in the Super World, then the Super World would use that version of those levels - it super did when I tested them! But then when I upload the Super World, it just uses the versions that I’ve uploaded before, and since the only way to upload a “version 2” would be to delete the level and upload it again, or to try to painstakingly remake it, I didn’t do it. The touch-ups would be pretty minor anyway, but it bothers me still that on Initial P if you survive the second section without a P-Balloon, you have to restart the level because I forgot to give players a P-Balloon right there when you enter the Checkpoint Room

And one thing about my final level, there’s two Shellmets and a Kuribo’s Shoe hidden in there. The Kuribo’s Shoe makes the level incredibly easy if you don’t lose it. The second Shellmet is SO hard to get that it’s super not worth it, but I thought it’d be a cool challenge for those interested

Also, I have a design ethos of never using invisible blocks so don’t even worry about those if you’re hunting for secrets or worried about kaizo blocks

1 Like

There’s one very nice invisible block in my castle level, and the first 2 levels have one 1up in them so you could conceivably farm lives. I love making secrets and wish it was easy to make secret exits in this game

1 Like
2 Likes

oh shit, do you stream

i meant to say this, but if anybody streams, i am morbidly interested in watching any attempts to climb daddy’s tower

also that was my experience with that block too lol

3 Likes