SB2 Mario Maker World Jam

oops haha

1 Like

@Mr_Mechanical 's levels:

I feel like you’re a big fan of World 7-7 from Super Mario Bros. 3, lots of “dash through while invincible” parts all over these levels haha, it feels really good though~

World 1-2 was a bit frustrating because of how trampolines here are carry-able items. I don’t think they were in SMB3? I thought that was only a thing in World? So doing the bouncy jumps was a bit of a hassle without accidentally grabbing the trampolines, but honestly I feel that’s Mario Maker’s fault >__> I don’t super get what the P-Switch is for, other than allowing you to get a slight shortcut at that maze segment

World 1-3 was fun,I like that there are multiple paths, but I found the lower path less exciting and engaging, I really like bouncing on the Bullet Bills on the top path and getting 1ups that way. I think it gives players something interesting to do while waiting for the autoscroll!!

I really liked Larry’s Lair!! I usually don’t like Snake Block segments, but I really like that you gave players a way to skip it with some tight platforming, and I really like that even if you fail that, you can save yourself with the Donut Blocks at the bottom and wait for the Snake Block in safety, but also in shame. I like how Donut Blocks are used in this level in general.

@bib 's levels:

CLICK FOR SPOILERS bc spoiler tag wasn't working in this paragraph for some reason??

these are so hard!! despite that, I was having a really good time!! I really enjoyed A DELIVERY FROM DADDY and I really like that initial segment of BRIDGE TO DADDY’S TOWER that you have to go under the platform to proceed. I really enjoyed the “a-ha!” moment I had when I realized I could get the mushroom and still proceed through the level by having the mushroom slide across that under-platform segment while following behind it, then nabbing it once I reached that Donut Block. DADDY’S TOWER…? is also really fun!

UNCLE’S BACKYARD HUT??? is where I got way too frustrated and quit lol I have no idea how to do the boss battle at the beginning consistently, he keeps blocking Buzzy Beetles from coming my way. Once I got through it by sort-of-luck, I lost all my lives at the Monty Mole segment and I just didn’t have it in me to do the boss battle again

1 Like

god should i reupload on 99 lives? i honestly wasn’t thinking about that at all

also, re: that boss…

you don’t have to kill uncle

Thank you all for playing my levels and commenting on them.

@morkitten I’m glad you liked my airship level! It turned out to be a big hit out of the bunch so that’s neat. I struggled a bit to come up with more for the underside of the ship but now it occurs to me that I could have put some water or lava down there that rises and falls, like in the castle, and do more with it that way. That’s an idea for a future level or a remix.

I do like the running and jumping the most in Mario lol. I always start Mario Maker by widening and expanding the play area as far as it will go and then considering that whole thing my play space. It’s never big enough!

I knew the trampoline would give people trouble but I went with it anyway. Glad you liked the castle. I think I spent the most time on the castle and the airship levels and I guess it shows lol.

As for your levels I think I made it to the second or third level yesterday. Or maybe I’m still on the first? I never played 3D World so I’m not used to using the catsuit but I like it. I’m going to try and complete everyone’s worlds.

So far I’ve only managed to complete @zombieman000’s world, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to do it because there’s so much going on in those things it was a bit overwhelming but I got there so go me. I did not defeat Koopa I just ran past him but that still counts as a win in my book.

I’ve also completed @VastleCania’s first world. That was real nice and breezy! I’ll have to go through it again because I quit when I got to the second world and I don’t think there’s a way to save progress here? Either way I’m looking forward to it.

@bib Daddy’s Tower is an intimidating monolith that looms down on me like an imposing, towering… tower thing. I have not made it past the first level yet but I’m going to give it another shot in a minute here when I’m done with this post. It my gaming Everest.

3 Likes

Have played through @Mr_Mechanical’s, @VastleCania’s first world up to the castle I’m struggling with and @morkitten’s catsuit level (also got stuck on the piranha vine cat dive challenge). Your levels are helping me realize that it’s been a while since I played the originals and also helping me understand, as hard as the Yamamura tutorials tried to coo into my head, that the process of teaching and guiding the player is a big part of what made them good (introducing a concept and slowly building your mastery of it with new wrinkles on the basic concept until you pass the final challenge that brings everything together). That’s also missing in my formless mess. Also I am really bad at platforming. I’m probably not going to make it up @bib’s tower. Someone else will need to do the deed and kill daddy.

1 Like

I got through daddy’s tower but have not made it through uncle’s hut. I can get as far as underneath the hut so I’m still og but not quite the ascended Mario master.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I played the level again to get an idea of why you two are stuck there and I have no idea. I was gonna suggest maybe you don’t know that the catsuit can climb walls but I don’t think you can get to that section without knowing that. Maybe you’re holding left and getting thrown into the spiked wall? You don’t have to hold left at all. Maybe you’re not holding jump when you bop against the piranha vine’s head?

1 Like

Yep, I wasn’t holding jump long enough! Thanks! I wish my levels turned out like INITIAL P!

1 Like

I played @zombieman000 's levels and I kinda love them?? They’re absolute chaos that you can’t possibly parse in their entirety but I love that. Trying to beat them feels like complete improv and I found that really fun! The fact that you keep giving power-ups to the player is what keeps them from being frustrating

2 Likes

Hey thanks! I really did want something actually legible to the player but I’m glad they worked out as little disasters!

yeah uh these zombieman levels are practically on some high art shit imo

anyway i beat all of everyone’s worlds, so that means you all have to beat mine now

2 Likes

I finished @VastleCania’s and @morkitten’s worlds. Cania, that was really good! You’re able to strike the balance between not-hard-but-not-easy in a way I’ve not seen anyone else able to do in Mario Maker. The airship castle was tough-but-fair and I loved seeing your water level kind of mimic one of the earlier levels with the upward progress. Likewise how the castle was all downward progress, descending further and further into the ship.

Kitten, I liked your airship level a lot! It was a challenge but a satisfying one. Overall I liked everyone’s flying levels. You all have cool ideas I will have to steal take inspiration from for my own levels.

@bib I have bested Uncle and made it to Mole City. The journey continues but the real Mario Maker starts here. Often while playing your levels I find myself asking “why does it have to be so tough?” but never “why do I keep playing?” because I keep playing because it is so tough. I don’t know how to get all the red coins in Mole City but you haven’t broken my spirit yet.

Y’all are some Pro Mario Makers!

2 Likes

i keep meaning to play these but i only play mario maker handheld most of the time and the joycon drift is fucked up!! so angry

I’ve struggled up to “…DADDY’S TOWER?” so much that I am now measuring lives lost by game over screens reached, but those are also becoming numerous…Will pick away at V.Cania/morkitten castles. Looking at all of your worlds’ sheer quality I’m obviously the odd one out here but it was fun doing them and being motivated towards the goal of hashing something out. Even more fun playing yours though!