SB game idea megathread

A dynasty warriors style game but set in 1900-1950 China would be good

7 Likes

by which i mean of course that it would highlight the ways that our ability to turn population devastation, unimaginably bleak widespread tragedy, and geopolitical crisis into an action packed thrill ride is dependent entirely on how far away from the present it was

6 Likes

a turn-based strategy game that’s a mix of koei’s old business sims and koei’s still-ongoing war games. the theme is yet another re-telling of romance of the three kingdoms, but the kingdoms are wrestling territories in 70s/80s north america

7 Likes

game with a psychic protagonist who can see into people’s dreams. when you talk to npcs you can see a snapshot from their previous night’s dream. sometimes it would be useful, mostly it would just be fun to see what people are dreaming about.

1 Like

space management sim/shmup where every arcade game in space is in the same universe!
you can meet kissy from baraduke in vic viper and fight sinistar with the vector ships from asteroids and computer space

psychic force-like fighting game where none of the characters actually have powers, they’re all just suffering from chuunibyo and playing around. the unplayable boss is a bully with no imagination who just wants to beat them all up for real

6 Likes

Andrew Plotkin’s Spider and Web. (Play online.)

2 Likes

So you may recall I recently became kind of obsessed with thinking about ways to make item crafting more interesting in video games, and it has apparently been on my mind a lot because I just had a really involved dream that was mostly about this

the basic idea though is that it would be for an immersive open world action rpg game along the lines of zeldo or skyrim, except with the small party aspect of traditional JRPGS

the crafting would be based on a kind of simplistic physics/chemistry system that you would interact with using the abilities of the other player characters, so rather than having one ultra dude who is somehow a master alchemist / mage / blacksmith / chef you would acquire characters that each excelled in a certain area, and then find ways to combine their skills so you could make stuff

the gimmick would be that nobody’s abilities would be specifically suited to any one form of crafting, so you would have to improvise methods based on the combinations that you had access to at that time – so you could use a mage with a fire spell to cook stuff if you also had a ranger who was skilled at foraging, or if you had a warrior that could wield a pickaxe you could use the same fire spell to turn ore into iron bars or whatever, and of course the spell would also be usable for massive damage in battle and so on, but if you didn’t have a mage you could also start a fire with some contraption invented by a character that was like a tinkerer/engineer type, etc

i’m sure something similar exists in normal rpg/sim games, but for some reason thinking about it with the kinetic real time aspect of an action game made it more appealing

3 Likes

I knew about S&W and finished it. It’s a good example although it relies on devices afforded by being text-only.

What I’m thinking of is a (graphical) game built around the player planning and executing these masterful heists, with at least a decent illusion of agency on their part (if I recall correctly, S&W’s narrative-puzzles are very on rails)

Not a graphical game exactly but the recent tabletop rpg Blades in the Dark enables some inventive heist plans by letting player characters gain stress in order to call for flashbacks where they totally planned for an obstacle they now face.

1 Like

the mad max videogame, but with all the map tidying shit removed, and it’s now entirely about vehicular combat

1 Like

i woke up hungover today and for some reason i kept thinking of the name POISON BOY, so i guess POISON BOY is a hard platformer where you have to damage boost through every level by drinking poison that helps with navigating difficult situations

1 Like

adventure game about catching a serial killer but everything looks like wangan midnight or ridge racer. also you aren’t a cop or employed by the state in any capacity
the soundtrack is only strictly rhythm releases and in new game+ its san francisco psych rock

4 Likes

Adventure game about catching a serial killer as a severely mentally ill genius detective. All the serial-killer catching mini-games are ridiculously simple; all the getting-out-of-bed-and-driving-to-work mini-games are grindingly, obnoxiously difficult.

7 Likes

An Outrun-type arcade racer that stitches together tracks as you drive so you’re always sight reading for drifts.

3 Likes

RuPaul’s Frag Race

3 Likes

Open world 3D beat em up about japanese high school delinquents inspired by the Crows manga and movies, with a dynamic storytelling system á la Shadow of Mordor nemesis system where each high schooler becomes stronger or weaker based on their current relevance to the plot (the plot revolves about punching other delinquents of course)

Not only must the main character “rise to the top” of their high school but there would be wars between different schools too

2 Likes

Isn’t that just Kenka Bancho

There are many games about banchos (including an actual Crows videogame), but from the very little I played of the first Kenka Bancho, it seems it doesn’t have anything resembling a nemesis system.

Not what you are talking about: but did you know there was a 2D Crows beat-em-up released for the Saturn by a team comprised partially of ex-Technos guys. I didn’t until a few days ago. It looks cool, like a perfect big sprite mid nineties Nekketsu follow-up

Sadly it is very basic and not good. There’s even some neat secondary attack animations in there, restricted to the boringly-implemented auto-combo life-draining special system. Would be great base material to build a better game from.

2 Likes