SB game idea megathread

i wrote about that game a few months ago. it feels a lot like it might have been a kunio game before they got the licence

I want treasure to make a speed racer game, half top down racing / vehicular brawling, half astro boy style belt scrolling action

oh, also AM2’s wave race 64

1 Like

similarly, i want the sega/namco/nintendo team who make f-zero gx to make a game based on oban star racers

a modern Frame Gride
or an Escaflowne game that plays kind of like votoms

1 Like

Zelda themed Mario 64

1 Like

Okay, with that “low effort video game mashups” thread, I can’t help but mention this. It’s something I’ve thought about trying to make, but it’s too high effort to try really. It’s actually a friend’s suggestion:

Battledore and Double Dragon.

So it’s Double Dragon (or a basic belt scroller, really), but it’s also Battledore, which means while you’re beating people up you also have to continually volley a shuttlecock in the air to keep it from hitting the ground.

I love this idea more than I can say.

But I don’t want to program a belt scroller.

8-way scrolling mermaid beat em up

2 Likes

A SMT budget game where every demon is replaced with their Jack Frost equivalent.

2 Likes

Ogre Battle x Final Fantasy XII

• Ogre Battle style party/unit control
  • Gambits attached to party members.
  • Dungeons FF3/6 style where you have to separate parties, except some parties have to fight an onslaught of monsters while other parties solve puzzles to stop the onslaught
  • Parties/units can reunite and get super strong e.g. you can fight a boss with a small 3 person party, but a second party can join to be a large 6 person party to “save the day”
  • The game’s “main scale” will be something like the size of a typical jRPG town, but it can scale up to a region or continent — when no one is fighting the timeScale is sped up.

Edit: I feel like the SaGa dude tried making this game?

2 Likes

The enthusiastic candor and optimism of Outrun 2/SP meets a similar structure to Truck Simutor for a game about joyous roadtrips.
There would be a social sim element to managing the needs of the party, driving in shifts, breakfast burritos, tales of style party chat.

6 Likes

A JRPG ala Persona, except instead of being focused on your protagonist and his/her relationships with people, it’s focused on your protagonist playing matchmaker with the people in their life. Ship who you want with each other! Take your favorite dollies and make them kiss!

4 Likes

This would be even better if it is actual dollies, like when you move them around there is a giant hand holding them and all the voices are the same person

2 Likes

call o’ doofus

its dumb call of duty but its a sick game, like, actually

A game where the conceit is that it is the current-gen HD ‘remake’ of a PSX-era jrpg or adventure game, which is bundled with the game along with making of videos, interviews, trailers and ad copy for the original game, etc. The new game is made by the same director, years later, but they have a dramatically different take on the material and ideas in the game due to some significant incident that occurred to them in the intervening 20 years. Thus, the new game has all sorts of callbacks and plot points that refer to, but do not mirror, the original game. Thus, there’s a ‘director’s cut’ mode of the games (the default mode of play), where you go back and forth playing chapters of the old and new games in order to establish themes, then refer to them. (Occasionally, it’s the other way, with something coming up first as a ‘call-back’ in the modern game, followed by the old game chapter where it happened first.)

(I’ve had this idea for years, but it basically came from this thought: If Neon Genesis Evangelion was a darker, grittier reboot of a '80s mecha anime, what would the original look like?)

1 Like

The transition from Bubblegum Crisis to Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040?

Its a bit of a non-sequitur because NGE is generally lighter than a lot of 80s mecha shows.

a super laid back version of tetris for iOS called “tetris after sex”

3 Likes

bojack horseman visual novel for the 3DS

Goat Simulator Simulator Simulator Simulator

1 Like

2 player interactive fiction meant to be played non-casually, either online or on seperate rooms. One player embarks on a wholly mundane slice of life journey, the other a fantastical, vivid, and fairly horrific adventure. The two adventures are parallel and input from both players is required to proceed - shares choices affect the outcome for both players but no metatextual information is shared between between them - aside from waiting periods, ideally the experience proceeds without any explicit indication of there being another player. The idea is to simulate dissociation - a full reading of the text would require playing both stories with two different and fully cooperative strangers. The text should anticipate frustration and uncooperative pairs as much as is feasible. It should be easy to tell there’s someone else behind the wheel - the ideal is to force a consideration of an outside perspective while having absolutely no idea what it is.

I’m basically describing a version of a Turing test

1 Like