SB game idea megathread

has there actually been something akin to a “Super Monkey Pinball”? or even a sequel in that series that has pinball? i would like that, please.

i’ve been thinkin’ a lot about a good remake of Sonic Spinball or a “pinball platformer” and would that would actually mean. maybe something that’s zoomed out more, with constantly escalating, randomly generating tables but a “no backtracking” element a la Desert Golf

there has been kind of a resurgence of weird pinball ideas similar to those recently

1 Like

oh yeah i remember seeing these before. Yoku’s Island Express actually looks like a better take on a remake of Knuckles Chaotix i had kickin’ around in my head. i should check these out.

Modern day souls-like game set in the John Wick franchise, with combat optimized for ranged guns and jiujitsu takedowns. Heavy use of autoaim because the emphasis on combat would be on threat assessment and target prioritization rather than twitch accuracy.

You still get NPCs laughing eerily after every dialogue. No camera closeups. Extremely sparse cutscenes.

3 Likes

I’ve always thought it’d be cool to make a game where the mission objective text is, explictly, what the protagonist character wants the player to do, and the protagonist is a dupilicitous fuck with unclear motives. So you’d end up with NPCs lecturing you about what the next stage of the plan is and what they want the protagonist to do, followed by immediate mission statements that are directly at odds with the plan. One of the big mysteries of the plot, therefore, is what the heck the protagonist’s big plot is actually leading towards.

6 Likes

I’ve thought many times about how one could make a game where the protagonist pulls off a complicated master plan that suprises everyone. It’s much trickier when the protagonist and the audience are the same person.

Wouldn’t that mean that the protagonist pulls off a masterplan that surprises themself?

Protag sets up crazy device that goes off and messes up?

Or I know. Memento, the videogame.

Baten Kaitos

1 Like

Maybe the game is so long that they forgot they set it up and then get caught in their own trap tens of hours later?

2 Likes

These are not my ideas obvs (those are secret!) but it’s a fun brainstorm. Amnesia Fortnight is a thing Double Fine does where they work on prototypes for two weeks, and these are the pitches:

I particularly like the plant-based pitches. The idea of balancing biospheres, having weird procedural flora that can affect life around it in different ways, being able to bend time in certain areas and not others… feels like there’s a bunch of potential for interlocking stuff, visual flourish and physics fun in there as well as it being a cute concept.

the cheating poker mini-game in eyes of heaven was fun enough to have been a standalone thing on its own, and filled my head with ideas for a card game involving tarot cards and telepathy

Covenant ideas for a theoretical Dark Souls game:

1. A early-game covenant where everytime you invade or get summoned, you’re put into a random loadout with appropriate stats and disposable consumables. The varying loadouts are from a list of perfectly reasonable builds- not PvP optimal, but standard stuff. This covenant exists to help newbies get grips on what varying builds exist, and to give some variety to PVP for veterans.

2. A invasion covenant (invade people, if you kill them you get covenant items). When you invade people as this covenant, they get a different type of covenant item if you kill them, or two of them if they kill you. These consolation prize items have a entirely different set of prizes from the covenant’s primary prizes.

3. A invasion covenant ala the Mound Makers, except instead of having the same win condition every time, you have a random win condition picked from a list. The list of win conditions does, of course, include some aggressive actions, but it also includes some benign actions (Maintain line of sight on the host for 15 seconds) or beneficial actions (Kill N souls worth of monsters), and also some bizzare ones (Pick up a bunch of items that are invisible to anyone but you, fight off monsters that are invisible to all but your covenant). These guys always have something weird going on.

My covenant idea was that you invade in the form of a small cat, and have to hide somewhere while stealing all the souls obtained by the victim until they can hunt you down

1 Like

Uhh this is the shit

4 You invade someone else’s world and become the guide of a historical architecture tour

2 Likes

some type of game that takes place on foot in the original three daytona usa tracks. that’s all I’ve got so far

1 Like

maybe seganimal crossing, or some kind of detective story? I just want an excuse to chill there

Deadly Premonition through the suspicious and seemingly related on-track deaths of three former NASCAR champions by investigating the coastal Californian highway towns that connect their crime scenes.

4 Likes

yes exactly, let’s make it happen

dynasty warriors game with time-traveling mao dlc

4 Likes