SB game idea megathread

a source-faithful The Seven Against Thebes musou

1 Like

A cyberpunk city sim in which you must manage both physical and cyber space facets of your metropolis. There is a cooperative 2 player mode.

Honey We Shrunk the Souls

i want a game where you explore an small moon floating in space, haunted by the ghosts of the aliens that have visited it before, and you play as a current day astronaut that’s exploring the surface, photographing them (without being seen) and logging them in a journal.

a light-Soulselvania, with procedurally generated ghosts, instant death upon sight (save states included) absolutely no weapons or combat (just underfunded NASA equipment with realistic limitations) and (the back of the box feature), The Most Robust and Diverse Character Creator System Ever Made*

*but you wear only one, uncustomazible, totally unflattering space suit that covers your character for the entire game

2 Likes

i want a game where you play as a single ghost, but you start the game only being able to haunt tiny, inanimate objects, and the more people you successfully scare using those haunted objects, the more you fill your “ghost energy”, and more ghost energy gives you more power to haunt bigger and more elaborate objects in this world (a la Katamari growth system), eventually spiraling into a scenario where you can haunt the entire planet Earth and scare the other planets in the galaxy.

3 Likes

looking for love in all the wrong places

1 Like

and, to round out my Ghosts in Space trilogy, I want a game where you play as a new transfer student to Outer Space High School and die in the opening cutscene, before reaching the front doors. Your ghost haunts the Most Popular Kid in School, and the rest of the game is an anime dating sim where you try to use this haunted teenager to get dates to Space Prom and have a lot of comical misunderstandings.

2 Likes

I always wanted to make a game about a magical cat who goes on journeys to find interesting new places to sleep

4 Likes

I’ve always wanted to be a magical cat who goes on journeys to find interesting new places to sleep.

I’m also here to tell you, that this game kind of exists, though perhaps not in exactly the form you want

1 Like

Holy crap

Although I imagine the cat having magical dreams that affect the landscape in some way

Another one -

Reverse RPG where you start as a level 100 hero who has just saved the kingdom and rescued the princess, only it was a trap and now you are cursed to wither away gradually. The game would be more stealth/horror as you have to actively avoid combat as much as possible to avoid ‘leveling down’, and to choose side quests wisely as you have to weigh the benefits of the loot acquired against the cost of losing levels.
Also you have to be wary of talking to NPCs as it has a random chance of summoning evil wraith dudes who will hunt you down

the first megaman x but good

castlevania but like, your whip is a snake

hospitality industry simulation where all of your staff are corrupt and uncontrollable

a game set in space trying to do something other than alien or star trek/star wars

woah, woah, woah

What is your beef

1 Like

This is Hotel Dusk. I mean, okay, the protagonist wasn’t technically affiliated with the Hotel in question, but he might as well have been. I guess it was more of a hospitality industry VN than it was a hospitality industry sim, but still. It’s close!

1 Like

google glass game called “sit in”, an anti-corporate anti-american capitalism “don’t go to work” sim. the only way to win is to not go to your irl job. really pleasant sound design

1 Like

A JRPG where you are not the hero, but your adventures keep intersecting with a standard party of JRPG heroes. The Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead of JRPGs.

7 Likes

i was thinking about a similar idea recently, though rather than not being the heroes, you keep meeting up with another set of heroes killing a different god and hating a different dad, completely unrelated to your quest

3 Likes

Mikey,

the first megaman x but good

woah, woah, woah

What is your beef

Eh-hem! - may I present;
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X

(but good may be a bit of a mis-speak…)

Robert Yang’s The Epic of Gilgamesh

3 Likes