SB February Music Make Time

Inspired by @stylo, and her post here [Share & Talk About Your Music - #912 by stylo], let’s make music in February. Anyone on SB can submit whatever. Maybe we make a 2022 SB mixtape at the end? At the very least, there will be a listening party when it is all over in some form.

Anyone else interested?

7 Likes

here is the official RPM challenge website!

I will be trying to record something, I don’t know if I want to try for original stuff or some jazz standards, or a mishmash thereof? I’m not really sure where I’m at with playing/recording/mixing skills rn. I’ve got a couple guitars, a digital 88key, and some DAW plugins.

2 Likes

That sounds like more than enough to do something and heck yeah.

1 Like

oh cute

I’m in. I usually make it a point to do something for rpm.

1 Like

i’m definitely not in but i will listen and judge

gonna try to do something for this! i’m like, a day away from releasing a new live set but all of that was composed in the back half of last year and i’m not doing weeklybeats this year so this will be a good way for me to actually write stuff

1 Like

Here’s my mess from last year: https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/szgvunrDwnaHUoNx9

I’m just about to start getting my gear in order. I wanted to have a permanent set up but I keep having to grab cables and mixers and stuff to use for work stuff.

1 Like

Against my better judgment I’m committing to at least 5 songs this month, but I’m going to cheat and include one from last month, nobody can stop me!!!

2 Likes

preview of song 2 i am working on:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DvzdcNjcbAjzhC7_gRg5TAJht1VrO_3w/view?usp=sharing

basically gotta hook up my midi device to this and then do a live performance but i’m pretty happy with the sound so far. still going for a sort of Waiting Room in Hell vibe, although this one’s a bit more active sounding than the last.

as far as a process in Bespoke, I basically just randomized a drum sequencer until I liked it, added some effects to it so each sample lasts a bit longer (granulator does wonders), then added a square oscillator and a triangle oscillator. and i distorted the hell out of the triangle and compressed it way the fuck down so it gets that growling sound.

save file here if you wanna fuck with it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ag8FyfCzvhWLxnxs5kYoaD7VHvf7ZNUX/view?usp=sharing

Oh also there are four drum sequencers that are slightly randomized more each, and can be selected with the selector. I love the idea of guided, but kinda generative music. Need to figure out how to do more of that.

1 Like

i dunno if i can actually meet my goals for this years challenge, im sort of in a weird stage of ‘just started learning jazz guitar and not good enough for anything yet’

I mean, I started by working on a cover of the Ultraman theme song, so…ya know, anything is cool for this.

3 Likes

woo hoo!

2 Likes

Not totally happy with how this came out but too tired to re-perform or add more effects:

But I still think it’s pretty cool. I need to listen to more hiroshi yoshimura and try to copy his shit so i can make it sound more unpleasant, that’s really my goal at the end of the day. unpleasant hiroshi yoshimura

I think I over-compressed it at the end of the chain, but everything was too loud lol

2 Likes

Oh heck yeah this rules.

1 Like

I’m throwing myself a curve by trying to learn this new digital 4 track as I go on top of my standard limitations of only doing stuff I can accomplish live. I just want to minimize computers in my whole process since I don’t have a ton of space and setting up a laptop to record is a hassle. I just recorded something pretty tight but there’s a bit of clipping on some of the big chime-y tones and I’m never sure whether to embrace that or not.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of fun!!

1 Like

Working on another song, not sure if this will be the one I go with but I’m having fun with it

2 Likes

My goal for the day is to try to shake things up by screwing around with virtual synths for a bit, and then busting out my ancient SK-1, tape deck, and monotron delay set up from years back.

1 Like

another preview, much happier with this sound, and working on, uh, chord progressions I guess? Maybe after I finish this song I’ll make a concerted effort to learn about like…extremely basic music theory.

1 Like