SB February Music Make Time

also this is what this patch looks like so far

love to connect wires and wires and wires and wires. i love that i’ve made a song that basically plays itself

1 Like

It’s done! This is maybe the most work I’ve put into a song ever - about…7-9 hours? Not a lot in the grand scheme but quite a lot for me, personally.

I “performed” it twice, I didn’t like the long intro I did the first time. The second one is basically completely different. This one has a point where I Mega Clip on accident but I liked everything else about it, pretty much.

I’m still not happy with how compressed this is but I’m not sure how to avoid clipping without fairly aggressive compression. Ah well, just another participant in the noise wars.

This is absolutely the most chaotic I’ve felt during a performance - had 10 knobs and 5 sliders hooked up to various effects and volumes and whatnot. I’m…not entirely sure what I did at the end to get that sound. I think I accidentally increased a delay amount to 100 percent with full feedback. It’s a great sound though, as overwhelming as I always want to be. It’s crackly in the last 10 seconds but that’s probably because it was being compressed so aggressively lol

Anyway I have no idea if I’ll get to my Five Song Commitment because I’m going to be in Oklahoma from the 17th-21st and I have no idea if I’ll have the energy to make 2 more songs in a week. But I’m proud of my output so far!!

6 Likes

February for me is turning into Learn To Enjoy Music Time instead of Make Music Time. I’m okay with that but I may be able to record a jazz standard for end of month.

2 Likes

That’s cool though!

I haven’t had as much time to work this past few days, but I think I have a couple good sets of stuff to at least make short pieces out of. I’m going to try to record them this weekend, I think.

2 Likes

I finally got a new 9 volt battery for my microgranny, and had a bunch of fun with it tonight. In years past I haven’t been this enthusiastic about my solo stuff, but this all seems ok.

I suppose it’s time to start pulling my recordings off of that digital four track…

1 Like

finally got around to finishing this one up

kinda different from my usual but i wanted an excuse to just mess around with some samples and make some synths in the m8 so here it is

7 Likes

Damn, I wish I was better at using trackers because you are getting some amazing sounds out of that.

So I have actually recorded a few things, wtf. I ran my Electribe into my mixer to add a layer of noise along with what I had programmed in and just recorded it live and I think it turned out alright, though I never know. Anyhow, the first two that I did were based on the tiny amounts of music in Xevious because I have been playing that regularly, so here they are.

2 Likes

I’m going back through and relistening to everything to export it off the recorder, and running a kalimba through a bunch of pedals sounds so good. I should probably just play this full time and join a band with it or something.

1 Like

So this recorder partitions the sd card into its own weird file system and then something readable by anything else which is where the exported tracks get saved to, and in the process of copying the latter to my computer, my card reader got jostled and maybe I lost everything, or maybe it’s just the fat32 partition and I can re-export everything.

Fuck.

That sucks.

I should have another track to upload tonight or tomorrow, and I figure whatever people get here by the end of the week, we can try to make a compilation of or something.

1 Like

It’s thankfully salvageable. I’ll get everything else up under the wire tomorrow, but in the meantime, here’s the standout.

4 Likes

i might have a 4th track by the end of the day depending on how much i’m feeling it, but might just end up with the three

3 Likes

2 Likes

this is really cool

1 Like

Thank you!!!

yeah honestly wish i had anything more insightful to say, i just think they’re really good haha

catching up on the rest of the songs ITT

ooh these are neat, feels like hearing an arcade like…next door? smoking outside of an arcade, that’s how i would describe it.

hell yes. i always love your stuff and this is no exception. the uh, key changes or whatever near the middle are exactly the kind of buildup-release i always want to do and never quite figure out how to. good shit

1 Like

Those bespoke soft synth modular patches you were showing off are wild. I messed around with that a bit this month but it’s going to take a while to figure out anything a tenth as complex!

whoa, thank you!! One day I’m going to stream making a song but I’m not confident enough to do it yet, but I really really love bespoke. I compared it to “Widget Workshop but for music” which is exactly how it feels to me. It fits perfectly in the part of my brain that sees everything as a logic puzzle, but wants to be creative.

2 Likes

I love listening to this thread

3 Likes

I made a fourth track and now it’s the first track on this EP that, despite the acquisition by Epic, I just released on Bandcamp:

I didn’t want to set up anything else and just wanted to get this out there. It’s free to download soooo have at it!

Actually just realizing I forgot to rebalance the tracks so the audio levels aren’t exactly even between them. Whoops. I’ll fix it later lol

2 Likes