Romancing SaGa 2 / general kawazu worship thread

hmm i just built the university… should i just try this again in a couple of generations?

just to clarify re formations, the emperor’s is the only class that matters for unlocking em?

if you haven’t got the magic lab yet just keep sitting at the throne until there’s a dialogue about it, think it costs about 2 mil, you want that built asap, this is the only thing that can really fuck up a playthrough, it’ll take a full generation skip (the kind you get after finishing a couple of quests) to be usable

the university is for recruiting the tactician, one of the best classes

and yeah the emperor’s class is the only thing that matters for unlocking formations, there are only really two worth using, rapid stream and amazon strike

ehehehe stunlocked the termite queen to death with an amazon empress 150 yrs later, ty for the advice. that formation rlly does make a diff

yeah boi unfortunately they all died bc i followed an faq to get dark magic

4 Likes

I think random enemies scale with the team but bosses do not (except the big 7, but in a weird way) so you can have a normal time in a dungeon and then face an unhinged unbeatable boss out of nowhere. If you struggle with a boss you can come back later

It’s not bad design it’s SaGa design

not entirely sure how it works but sometimes you can run from a boss fight, go up to them again and get a lower level version

if you can be bothered grinding in the endgame where you can get away with it, the dark magic spell ‘shadow servant’ is one of half a dozen or so things that completely break this game, it rules

what are the other 5?

off the top of my head amethyst axe + dragon pulse for the trick i mentioned in this post, the haste time spell that costs a ton of mp but prevents all enemies from doing anything that turn, the seven sword from the bonus dungeon you can pick up very early and some end-game armour setups (twilight robe + demonstone ring makes you extremely tanky and immune to negative status)

found some speedruns on twitch (same user also runs unlimited saga if that’s your thing)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/215694264

1 Like

12 Likes

7 Likes

14 is a good age for a jRPG protagonist

I wonder how expensive this art style is; it’s in line with Square’s push towards hand-drawn backdrops at the time but significantly less lush. Still a better answer to high resolution low-fidelity aesthetics than most cheap modern games can muster.

wait what game(s) look(s) more lush than SF2? imo this is probably one of the absolute best-looking games on the console, if not the best

1 Like

podcast ad-read voice
crossposting from the steals thread, romasaga 2 pc is 25% off with an extra 25% if you use the coupon code ‘biginjapan’ at gmg

5 Likes

I mean, I wonder if the light sketch/light watercolor backdrops may require less work to finish off next to 3D renders, pixel art, or even the more lushly sketched backdrops of Chrono Cross or Legend of Mana. I’m curious if the budget was significantly lower than other Square projects, as was noticeable on Kawazu’s PS2 games. It immediately brought to mind the struggles people have when they jump a fidelity level.

3 Likes

I never did play this because it always seemed so un-kawazu but I’ve always been tempted

Its still very kawazu it just has a gorgeous aesthetic

1 Like

Hmm not sure if I like the pixel sprites + hand drawn backdrops. The fixed perspective makes it seem cheap to me, but that may be me growing up with SCUMM adventure games.

Also, the sprites seem more competently made than the backgrounds…