Romancing SaGa 2 / general kawazu worship thread

at that point they’re going to be really difficult and not worth it, flee works in every fight that isn’t the final boss (though it still counts as a battle fought)

ah, okay. Through pure grit I was able to beat one by burning through all my healing items and was bummed to encounter a second… I also did not know I could flee, so that’s good to know!

they only show up in that dungeon so don’t be wary of opening chests for the rest of the game!

TIPS straight from the japanese arcades…

wiping is ok, don’t be too concerned about fighting too much as rank here isn’t anywhere near as strict as minstrel song etc. (but don’t grind for hours at a time)
any techs you spark end up in the dojo after the next big time jump
you unlock new formations by talking to the soldiers with different classes of emperor, i recommend getting the armed merchants unlocked asap for their formation 'rapid stream’
all of the armour has a ton of hidden stats, e.g the 1 defence oven mitts are top tier fire res but you’d never know that without google docs
status effects are really good

wait am I playing the battle garegga of rpgs

2 Likes

yep
or maybe yagawa games are the saga of stgs

jesus

romancing saga 2 predicted voice assistants

1 Like

also the steam ‘cards’ for this are some great tomomi kobayashi shit

2 Likes

figured i’d end this playthrough with a challenge:

how this fight works - every 6k damage another hero spawns, with rng deciding which of them get a turn, so you can (and will) have to deal with seven attacks by the end

dragon pulse is an attack power buff that stacks but only lasts for one attack, the amethyst axe ability phantom chivalry makes a… copy of the character with their current stats, health etc. who can only use the amethyst axe and can’t be healed, reverting to the original when it loses all its health

this leads to a bug where the stacked dragon pulse buff is ‘locked in’ after phantom chivalry

the ‘nulls status effects but plays ominous music and subtracts 1lp from the full party every time you sleep’ ring is also very handy

1 Like

how does sb feel about saga 2 ds?

I got stuck in the first area and I wish it was sprite-based instead of 3D

i bought RS2 for iOS because i had 17.09 randomly in my icloud account and i finally got my iphone SE activated

i started a game and immediately walked into an unwinnable encounter and had to reset

seems kawazu thru and thru

(what are the “additional features” the game asks you if you want on or off when you start up a file?)

i think the ios port defaults to running instead of walking so every fight you’ll break formation, that’d explain that, there’s a toggle in the options

‘additional features’ = a bonus dungeon, some gear, two new classes and postgame superbosses that weren’t in the sfc version

tried the original?

actually i was walking! but i did walk into a fight with some bigguns that took 0 damage from most of my heroes and eventually wiped me

It’s gotten me a few times that the Emperor is the only character allowed to use ‘Flee’. If he goes down, and other party members are sleeping –

I noticed Balms can be used on downed characters, though I’m not able to buy them yet so I’m strictly rationing them. In an auto-heal world it makes sense that they’re valued somewhat like Phoenix Downs.

So, I just started playing this, and the weapons shopkeeper just gives me every item for free instead of charging me the price since I’m the emperor. But I can still sell them back for profit, and there’s no limit. Is this part of the general “money is worthless” thing or just an early-game exploit?

pretty much

the only times money is an issue in this game is re: public works projects and these cost millions (which sounds like a lot but you find several hundred thousand gold in every other chest)

on that subject build the magic research lab asap, preferably get the work started while you’re still on gerard’s generation, ignoring it or leaving it too late is the one thing in this game that can really shit up a playthrough

Yes

Note that you cannot get effectively unlimited cash with this by selling by getting a bazillion free weapons and selling them all; because money gotten by selling stuff cannot be transfered to the treasury (just to your wallet)

1 Like

why is this game so fucken hard

where do i recruit useful ppl like healers and stuff

why am i not unlocking any formations

im at the termite queen

i like the old rpg affectations. everyone always raves abt going up to a dog in dragon quest and it says woof but what about going up to 40 identical sailors who all say “im a sailor” for 800 years or the guy in every pub who says “this is a great spot for moon watching”

or a survivor in the termite infested underground who just says “if the termite queen was any more fertile, we could make an omelet!”

3 Likes

if you’ve had the magic lab built you can and should give everyone some healing and buff spells

formations unlock depending on what class your emperor is, e.g if you have a pirate emperor and you talk to the formation dudes they give you ‘rapid stream’, with one exception: a new remake specific one you get for beating one of the bosses in the bonus dungeon

termite queen can be stunned if you’re having trouble with that fight, that’s the first tough boss most people run into

1 Like