Romancing SaGa 2 / general kawazu worship thread

I just tried this for half an hour and I think I’m gonna send it back – too much of the appeal of old JRPGs is bound up in the menu design for me, and this is too clumsy on that front even if they did a nice job with the tilesets

Got Minstrel Song in the mail today, started playing as Barbara (the dancer). Played for about an hour and made it to Tarmitta which has this really cool vibe:

Being able to restore LP for cheap at inns kinda feels like cheating? Might be wrong since it’s been a while, but it feels like buying LP back was rather costly in the early SaGa games, which is what I primarily have experience with. So far the systems feel pretty straightforward?

I’m a little upset that you can’t quickly skip through text in this because it really wants to line things up with the voice acting…

4 Likes

Meanwhile, in my Romancing Saga 2 game, I got the starting ranger girl killed before I even made it to the second emperor’s reign (RIP). Had to replace her with her pink-haired twin sister. LP is harsh.

i think you can only get like, a dozen lp restore items in one playthrough
there’s one character who has 99lp, it’s a popular strat to skip the final emperor and use her instead

hope none of y’all missed the ring hidden behind a fireplace in somon, where you can never return

LP as a mechanic was introduced in Romancing Saga 2 and made most sense in it.

It was kept around, half assed, for RS3/SF2/Minstrel song, you’re almost never in any danger of losing all LP if you play casually. Don’t hesitate to use those LP consuming skills now and then.

In Unlimited Saga LP is the new HP, except HP is still around. Unlimited saga is complicated.

Weren’t the hearts in Final Fantasy Legend basically LP just not called LP?

Yeah, I guess you’re right, hearts are a protoype for LP

This heart mechanic seems very punishing but I don’t remember it at all from playing the game. Was it made irrelevent in some way?

In my original playthrough where every single battle was a boss battle for about five hours my LP remained a delicate situation with a couple of wipes.

so the bonus dungeon in these ports shows up very early, has slightly different rules to the rest of the game re: enemy level scaling and how much ‘time’ passes when you fight and some interesting/overpowered gear:

more exp + better drop rate rings, some ore your r&d team are very impressed with:

so i got a little overconfident and fought the first genuinely challenging boss of the game, it didn’t go so well

this is a very barebones port, there’s a lot of janky looking ui left over from the smartphone release and the localisation is still garb but i’m really happy to have this in english outside of ios/android

4 Likes

Having actual controls instead of that touch d-pad monstrosity is great, too.

oops

2 Likes

I’ve gotten a couple of full-party wipes because I’m dumb, and because Sleep is an incredibly dangerous status aliment in the early game. Recovering sucks when you’re trying to get useful attacks to spark again on your replacement characters.

I wish I’d written down my party’s names so I could properly memorialize them.

full party wipes are fine, good even - the game is balanced around this and there’s definitely such a thing as playing a little too optimally

remember to talk to the formation dudes every time you have a new class as emperor

also techs you sparked previously will be in the dojo on the next big time jump

This is new information I can use! Noted.

1 Like

How do you abdicate?

Everybody should know that you get ambushed if you run, and not walk, into an enemy group.

By default, the team runs. You need to hold Circle/ back to walk instead.

one of the outcomes of the quest on komolune volcano, you can either save the salamanders or let them die so you can have dark magic (and one of the most overpowered spells in the game, shadow servant) and your emperor will abdicate

1 Like

for @HOBO

7 Likes

Well now I can’t refund this game.

I bought it on PC cuz I thought maybe I’d gamer stream it but it kinda annoys me that it’s a sorta-android port? Maybe I’d actually play it on Switch? Cuz it’s not like anyone gonna watch me gamer stream it. Also I can’t play the PC version on the can or while traveling – no one can accuse you of being unproductive if you only have a good time on a toilet or a train.

I started working on DDD: THE NATURAL PLAYBOYS around the same time Drem was doing an Unlimited SaGa playthrough and it inspired me to try and channel the spirit of Kawazu but lemme tell you: that shit is hard. Mostly cuz I kept breaking the board game shit cuz I dunno how to program. But I’m also not remotely interested in numbers or rules or any of that shit. I still wanna think someday soon I’ll play through his complete oeuvre and unlock the code but that’s unlikely to happen cuz I’m too lazy to even play games but maybe this means I can out-Kawazu Kawazu cuz I don’t follow the fuckin rules. :sunglasses:

I’m super impressed that this is the only mobile port outta SE that looks remotely decent.

2 Likes

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong such that these Doppleganger chests are destroying me in the third dungeon