Retroid Pocket 2: The Thread

i know there’s a lot of comparing the two, but it mostly seems to be people saying that this one maybe isn’t as much better than the RG350 than it first seemed.
if you are unsure, i get the impression it would be worth waiting for whatever drops in 6 months time.

I forgot DHL does its whole “request a delivery day” thing more as a vague suggestion than something they carry through, because uhhhh I’ve got mine.

I gotta figure out how to get it set up, but I’ll try and let y’all know.

3 Likes

It is that second thumb stick that is pushing me towards the RG350.

1 Like

maybe we should rename this thread and make it more of a general purpose Emulation Box thing? if only because I want “The Ballad of Taki Udon” to be part of the thread name

4 Likes

This thread exists and it has a completely indecipherable name. Like obscurist by the strictest SB standard.

unveil the secret, which way to the thread

The right stick doesn’t feel that bad.

I haven’t had a chance to put it to the test, granted. But compared to the PocketGo V2? Which has this hateful, nightmarish little piece of shit nub that feels like mashing your thumb into an eraser into gravel?

Compared to that, this feels pretty good.

Loading up a spare MicroSD with ROMs and gonna try and put RetroArch through its paces. The built-in games are only available through the Retroid OS, which…kinda sucks? They’ve got great bootleg names (or, I’m assuming, English to Chinese back to English translated names), though. Dunno what “Electro Sperm” is, but dang do I wanna find out (I think it’s some Jaleco beat-'em-up).

1 Like

I think I’ll just be satisfied with my RG350 and buy another nifty handheld emulation machine when they can emulate PS2 well.

NSFW, sexy NGPC color variants contained therein

3 Likes

Thank you. I couldn’t actually remember what it was

Taki had posted a negative video review of some handheld, and then turned around and suddenly changed his mind. I stopped watching his videos after that.

2 Likes

More like Tacky Udon

4 Likes

mine is here

1 Like

Hot take incoming: uhhhhh y’know the RG350 is roughly the same price.

I’m having a hell of a time running basic SNES games full speed, and the super outdated version of Android has me real cagey on logging in and downloading other emulators.

All’s I’m saying is - if you can live without Dreamcast and N64, and don’t need a second analog stick…just look at this thing:

I’m really hoping the Android 8.0 update and further kernel update make this thing more secure (so I can venture into the market of specialized paid emulators, I guess), but right now it feels like a really good looking, solid feeling handheld with absolutely half baked software.

3 Likes

omg i hate android lol

6 Likes

Let’s all slam our heads together and figure this shit out.

Did you know that the Retroarch app that has a GBA logo is supposed to just be for GBA? The other one runs…better, for other stuff, but only just!

The standard Retroarch has a way to get to the menu, but I can’t figure it out. On the GBA iteration, it’s Start + Select. On the other one, it’s…I push Start and Select and randomly press buttons, the volume key comes up, and if I’m lucky the XMB pops up.

I got Donkey Kong Country running respectably with SNES 9X 2005, which I think is only available through the standard Retroarch. I can’t get Bloody Roar 2 to run well for shit, which is weird because it runs fine off the included SD card in that busted Retroid OS.

Folks we got this. Let’s crack this egg. Scramble them guts and become the victor.

Or just change the thread title to “Look at these fools, hornswoggled by Taki Udon.” If things don’t pan out.

Some of the other reviewers were saying hold Home.

To get out of Retroarch? Nah. That just enables mouse mode. Cool if you wanna waggle a pointer around the screen, but it won’t get you to that Retroarch menu :frowning:

Anyway sorry for the negative impressions, folks! Wish I was coming in here and saying “whoa, y’all ever hear about this game…Mario? Wild stuff.”

1 Like

is it better if you don’t use retroarch, though? because retroarch does suck and all