RESIDENT EVIL....

it is much better in VR for better or worse

I really like that resident evil is almost an anthology series at this point, it’s got so many disparate elements they can rearrange into something that is still recognizably resident evil and even their idea of what is or is not a spinoff has been incredibly inconsistent ever since 3

it almost reminds me of those charts I’ve seen of quake engine derivatives in terms of it being a throughline for so much of capcom’s work over the past 20 years

1 Like

I might’ve liked 7 if they had replaced the mudmen with zombies or basically had any visual variety at all, but that might be pushing it as well. Definitely my least favorite in the franchise.

1 Like

Having just played the DLC, I completely agree with this. It seems like a small thing but if the game actually had inspired monster design I think it would have been elevated as an experience. With that being said, I think 7 was amazing except for the last act which was such a misfire that it almost sinks the entire game.

4 Likes

I couldn’t even play past granny’s bughouse so even with a new VR headset everyone saying it’s Much Worse by the end has really kept me from firing it back up.

1 Like

It’s definitely a hugely frontloaded game. I was having a good time all the way through, even in the comparatively dull ending section. But yeah, the reason I still recommend that game is mostly the first big chunk of the game before you get settled in the mansion. That early string of setpieces is so fast, loud, gory, weird, and tense. It’s just ratcheted ALL THE WAY UP in a grindhouse-y horror movie way I’m really not used to in videogames. It made a huge first impression.

2 Likes

the ending has a lot of great parts, I actually thought the boat sequence was mostly really good? it was really just the salt mines that were a drag and that part is really short

as a south louisiana native it was kind of cool to see them include that as a setting tho

4 Likes

I realize this makes me sound like a big asshole but liking resident evil games for the zombies seems to really miss the point?

The beginning of RE7 is kind of lame in that it promises a focus on first-person(and vr!) body mutilation that doesn’t carry through.

If we’re going to make a million FPS games, a lot more should have you struggle to reload a gun with a stump imo

(That said, FPS games hardly exist anymore so maybe that ship has sailed)

3 Likes

I hated the body mutilation stuff, it just makes me so uncomfortable, I got so uncomfortable anytime he did anything that put pressure on his stitched on hand

1 Like

That’s why it’s good! I want video games to make me uncomfortable about my body!

11 Likes

Like, seriously I think Soma is the only game that’s ever come close to what RE7 does and it barely does it!

2 Likes

I’m just thinking as something that can pretty much behave the same way as far as slow moving, not that much of a threat, but more visually distinct would go a long way to keeping me more engaged than a featureless tower of muck. Hell, make them the regenerators from 4, anything but a glob of tar that does nothing to spook me or keep me on edge.

1 Like

I liked the molded a lot and thought they were really gross and terrifying but mold also terrifies me IRL so

I agree they were a little generic

wish they had the family dog in as they originally planned

anyway I think the producer of RE7 mentioned in the making of interview that RE8 is basically already in some sort of preproduction and it’s going to be very different from RE7.

I believe Takeuchi floated the idea of remaking RE 1 again, but in first person. If REmake 2 is the model for RE 8, would be nice to have first person RE be iterated on in that venue. Still dreaming that action RE returns in the form of “Armored Core, but with pharmaceutical companies” which Umbrella Corps hints at.

1 Like

I guess I’m confused bc this is exactly all that zombies were in resident evil 1

I dunno, in RE7’s photorealistic presentation you face humanoid writhing black moldos, with the ability to direct your vision aim and movement in any direction.

RE1’s crude graphical fidelity might add something to it, but limited movement visibility and overall ease of control makes lurching zombos that much more dreadful, dogs possibly calm and then panic inducing, finally Hunters leaping around and Chimeras skittering. Enemies with character and complimenting the mansion/lab environments.

1 Like

Not saying the molded couldn’t be terrifying at times, but they felt tired and uninspired after a while. Def 7’s biggest shortcoming to me; the last third wouldn’t have felt as stale with a new enemy type or few.

2 Likes

the only terrifying molded were the quadrupeds on madhouse difficulty