RESIDENT EVIL....

which is why it’s a shame the voice actors are non union

there has to be a more labour friendly way to way to get such perfect amateurs

In the sewers of Leon A I didn’t realize there was that one fight you couldn’t win by normal means so I blew all of my huge amounts of ammo on the monster because I thought it was the normal long neck thing until I saw it wouldn’t die. The last hour or two of that game ended up being super tense because I went from being fully loaded to having literally no bullets at all. Probably for the best as far as the experience goes but now I feel like I need a break before trying 2nd Run.

It was such a compact but dense experience and it felt way, way longer than the game or Steam claims I actually played. But something about it’s small overall scale and somewhat freeform approach to exploration has been making me think about how I wouldn’t mind just picking back up and playing from the beginning again and seeing how I can do with my newfound knowledge. It’s the kind of game that makes you want to see how much better you can be at it.

2 Likes

i wasted a ton of ammo on g birkin the first times because i was playing like re4 and shotgunning up close when you can be much more efficient with the pistol

There are union people who have financial core status (sort of one foot in and one foot out so you can also do non-union gigs, but you lose voting rights and such), and it happens that there are at least a couple of those folks in the principle cast of this game who are just that. Without getting specific, I’ve worked with both union and non-union talent from this particular production, and the divide (mostly) comes down to the fact that the non-union talent are younger and newer to the industry. I suspect this was probably pushed through during the actor’s strike, but it definitely should have been union!

With the exception of one big title coming out this year I personally don’t know of many projects cast during the strike period that actually decided to start over and cast union talent (that doesn’t mean there aren’t more that did, just that the trend was to keep the train barreling towards the station). I hope Capcom in-particular doesn’t get comfortable in this regard, I think RE was maybe one of the few series where they were using union players?

But to recap, non-union production doesn’t necessarily equal all-amateurs, and on the flip side, I think it’s perfectly possible to populate a union cast with relative unknowns if the extra effort is put in during the casting process. You guys would not believe how often in casting for games that “so and so” is cast because they we’re “that one character” in a different title, and no callbacks are held. Why do that when you can rely on the work of a different casting director? It’s a pretty big contributing factor in VO feeling kinda homogenized and why RE2 feels different… production had to work really hard around limitations union projects don’t have and it turned out well.

10 Likes

Union rules are why Cloud is Japanese-only in Smash Bros.

how weird the whole thing is

UA Local 71, AVALANCHE chapter

2 Likes

Just met the police chief in Claire B. I love Claire’s “wow, fuck that guy, I’m gonna go kick his ass” attitude afterwards.

“i’ll get you, you fucker” is an amazing line

6 Likes

also very fond of hunk’s “my extraction point.”

2 Likes

11 Likes

re4ending.mp4
one of my favorite things about resident evil as a franchise is that everyone is flirting all the time, but sex seemingly doesn’t exist

6 Likes

reproduction occurs exclusively through explosive mitosis whenever there’s a virus outbreak

2 Likes

I always wanted to believe even as…

Resident Evil 6 producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi talked about the relationship between some of the main characters not only in the new game, but in the series as a whole, in an interview with a Chinese magazine during a news event in the country. The revelation that must sadden fans refers to Chris and Jill: according to him, the relationship between the two is only partnership, without romantic involvement.

This is a case where collective head canon kinda is overpowering, there’s enough nuance, it must be and forever offscreen!

Z3033D4

3 Likes

I remember there was a JP commercial for Resident Evil 4 that was two TV anchors watching footage of Leon and saying “kakkoii!” over and over.

I also remember some thread from penny arcade’s forums or neogaf where someone was really, really upset about how much sexual tension he felt between Chris and Jill in one of the Resident Evils with no payoff.

3 Likes

it’s like Martin Amis’ review of Pride and Prejudice

i only ever get pure nakama vibes from Chris and Jill idk what all these people are on about

4 Likes

I feel like there is a deep platonic love between jill and chris though, that most of you troglodyte sex-havers would never understand

pretty sure barry burton is the only RE protagonist who isn’t a virgin

3 Likes

3 Likes

A few more deetz

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/02/13/resident-evil-2-dlc-the-ghost-survivors-launches-february-15-on-ps4/

1 Like
7 Likes