RESIDENT EVIL....

• Realistic HUD – check inventory, health and position on a special piece of gear
2 Likes

“the original resident evil… 2” oy.

You can’t call your game “Daymare” and not have me immediately think of this every time.

3 Likes

All fans of the 90s’ iconic cinematographic brands and classical gloomy survival horror games will be thrilled, seeing how DAYMARE: 1998 recreates the atmosphere of the most beloved works from the end of the millennium and places a typical yet fresh story in the middle of it.

:gotohell::gotohell::gotohell:

Get a native speaker to write your copy.

complete and accurate mainline series rankings:
REmake
RE 1
6 Mercenaries
Deadly Silence = Director’s Cut
5 Co-Op
Watching CV cutscenes
6 campaign
5 Solo
Actually playing CV

1 Like

chris redfield wisely switched from the beretta to a glock 17 in code veronica. unfortunately he gets beat up by super wesker in the game and starts hitting the steroids hard after and I think loses some brain cells in his attempt to physically match wesker and goes back to beretta nostalgia in subsequent games

in post-re2 games they should of also made claire redfield incredibly jacked

8 Likes

she already looks like toby maguire in Revelations 2, that’s suffering enough

Accurate

I can’t even make a little bobblehead looking dude in this beta, and someone does this.

I’m really into claire’s presentation in revelations 2 tbh. tough mom.

I think the thing with RE4 is that it’s basically 20 hours of comfort food and none of it is really “bad”. But considering it in context of what the series tries to do as a whole I don’t feel like it’s aged well, especially after RE7.

I loved RE4 when it came out, but It’s important to remember that RE4 basically is the way it is because Resident Evil for Gamecube bombed. That game was so visionary and it still sucks to me that it didn’t point the way for what horror games could and should have been. Apparently the reissues of it sold extremely well though. So along with Resident Evil 7 I really hope that we see a renaissance of old school survival horror style games.

And as far as RE4-style “action horror” goes I still feel like revelations 2 is a more varied, engaging, and replayable experience. And the story is more fun.

4 Likes

revelations 2 was the most perfect co-op game I ever played with my sibling since they just point at things while I hose it with bullets

2 Likes

I didn’t know Paul WS Anderson was a part of these forums

1 Like

care to elaborate what the series tries to do as a whole, considering that half of the games in the mainline series are part of the RE4 lineage?

i’m not sure how one would laud REmake as particularly visionary as well, since if anything, it was the swan song and culmination of the traditional survival horror experience prevalent since the appearance of Alone in the Dark. nothing in the game was even a real improvement over the original Resident Evil besides the visual overhaul and certain subversion of expectations that it in many ways owed to the original to begin with.

I’m glad you mentioned WS Anderson because I think his contribution to the series has been underrated. This is why I was such a huge fan of Operation Raccoon City which fully embraces the more American sensibilities that make the Anderson movies so fascinating. Of course the original RE was American camp cinema strained through the perspective of Japanese horror, which Anderson then took and filtered back through more modern action cinema and in the process almost invented a new style of film franchise.

hm

2 Likes

you don’t want to know how common this is and how much it dominates thoughts at the sub-$10m range

Luckily the new contracts are workable for small studios. For big studios, the recording would have been done 1-2 years ago, so right in the middle of the contract negotiations, so it’s possible that was due to the high uncertainty at the time. Still, it’s more likely these are Japanese producers being anti-union (Japan’s labor relations are…different than Western structures and in certain ways more anti-union).

1 Like

this is so revisionist. it was only a swan song because it did not meet sales figures.

Resident Evil 4’s original vision was a much more atmospheric, psychological horror game that used a dynamic camera (not over the shoulder, more similar to the fixed perspectives of REmake) and dynamic lighting. It was revised into a crowd-pleasing action game because the gamecube remake did so poorly and capcom needed a hit.

The gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1 adds so many wrinkles to the original format that it is a completely transformed experience. it’s not just a pretty reskinning of the original. the production and direction of the original game is completely overhauled. the original is a scrappy game that succeeds despite the limitations of technology and its own low budget and poor localization. the remake elevates this original vision with production values and presentation that compliment it in the best way possible. and the design is refined to make it an even more tense and tightly designed experience than the original. I love the campiness of resident evil but REmake is the only game that attempts a more serious tone, and I think it works really well.

2 Likes

I think it’s fair to put the agency in Shinji Mikami and his team, at the height of their power within Capcom, deciding they were interesting in exploring 3D action, which was really getting smoothed out at the time, and setting up a workable shooter which still holds up as more usable than Japanese shooters a decade hence. There’s a lot to be said for doing something because you want to learn how and want to fix what isn’t working for you.

1 Like