RESIDENT EVIL....

After the remake was announced that whole aspect crossed my mind but I hadn’t heard anything on it either.

Unsurprisingly, with the demo available on PC, it’s been datamined, resulting in a number of extra details about the game becoming available for public knowledge. Among these details is a New Game Plus mode, which will accompany the returning Leon A, Leon B, Claire A and Claire B campaigns.

Cool. Supposedly also a “Rogue” mode.

4’s getting pushed down in all these lists.

Is this a case of it being bigger outside RE-heads than within, and/or annoyance at how it shaped the series? Or are we in partial backlash as its stature has risen among mainstream crowds?

Outside of RE and what makes a good RE game it’s still The Thunderclap, right, The seminal action game?

Maybe another way to put it is, do we have interesting criticisms of it in our subculture I’m not aware of?

It’s way too long and kind of flat and not scary at all and the collectibles are pretty perfunctory

there are some great setpieces in the first third but I pretty much never thought about it again after finishing it on the gamecube

my list is just 7, 1, 4, CV because those are all I’ve played though so don’t take my word for it

1 Like

My shorthand is, among a fair number of RE-heads, and the series lined up to them, it can be -ively seen not as good at creating presence of setting, personality of environments, tension from inventory/resource management, and horror-camp as the installments that preceded it. Even at the most badass moments in them you don’t feel exactly on an action power fantasy; in 4 it slips there easily, especially the latter half.

2 Likes

am I one of the only ones here who played / is playing 7 in VR? because I’m finding it pretty extraordinary presentation wise and equally surprised that’s not more widely echoed

4 is still the best, there I said it I am that guy

13 Likes

4 still is kinda the preeminent action horror game, hard to find contenders in the balance of those terms. Maybe Dead Space 1 and 2 kinda get somewhere toward rivaling it imo, but they’re arguably more horror focused than action. Damnit EA guffed things up with 3…I still want more proper.

I could probably move 7 above 0 and Revelations in my rankings, at least over the middle but I have to play it again, and VR would definitely take the experience somewhere else. I just thought the strengths dissipated more and more after Lucas’ playhouse. For all their flaws I still find Rev, 0 might be more level in series respect overall, def a more personal leaning.

it’s extremely gamey – I have a stronger memory of the score attack and trying to buy like unique guns from the flasher guy than I do anything else – and it was a very early entry in a genre it arguably built

Your read on it Felix feels alien to me; it’s not a setpiece-driven game although act 1 is overflowing with classics, and it’s not going for horror as much as tension and stick-shifts between dread and power.

Yeah it’s the best at something else! :imp: :gun: :passport_control: :radioactive: :white_check_mark:

it is wild to me that re6 is like capcom’s best or second best selling game of all time

I hated 4 at the time and felt very alone in that. Everyone praised its guts endlessly for a decade.

I liked the slow-paced, dread-filled, surreal-puzzle-fest of the original series (I only ever mainly played 1, 2, and 0. I never really had an opportunity to play 3 at the time, and by the time I was in a position to play CV, I wasn’t in the mood at that particular point in time, so). I didn’t mind 4 changing up the control/perspective aspect, I thought that was a great step for the series. But changing the genre entirely was just too much for me.

I soldiered on anyway though. Bought it at release, knowing how different it was going to be.

Then at one point I opened a door and there was a hedge maze. I turned it off right there, and haven’t played it again since.

unless I was in a completely different state of mind when I played it I can’t credit it with anything close to dread; my memory is of colour coded potions and very slowly kneecapping Spaniards

whereas 7 deserves to be mentioned alongside superhot and astro bot and sprint vector as one of the most remarkable videogame experiences you can have

1 Like

Give me RE8 facing next level B.O.W.s Monster Hunter sized with a sick arsenal of baddie blasting traps and levels designed in rugged post apocalyptica where tribes praise former pharm gods Umbrella and STARS crusaders form a brotherhood of steelish grasp for order.

Or thereabouts Capcom already flirts with this shit

My ranking of the RE games I’ve played:

Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Resident Evil 4
REmake
Silent Hill 4
Resident Evil 7
Silent Hill 1
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Resident Evil 0

5 Likes

I really like ps1 re1 and I don’t think I feel strongly enough about any of the others to order them

I hope chris redfield has recruited joe baker to punch more bio terrorism for resident evil 8

5 Likes

it’s

REmake
Code Veronica for the Camp Factor
Leon Kennedy and Discount Redfield’s Ride-A-Long

best of the new blood:

omake:

Revelations 1 and 2

2 Likes

Oh no.