RESIDENT EVIL....

but have you seen the original version of resident evil 4?

this is what we could have had!

4 Likes

I still love that actuall RE4 is just the tank controls.

Also that prototype RE4 ended up beomcing DMC.

Sure. Thatā€™s not as appealing to me, and it also looks like a half-step after, what, 6 Resident Evil games? Throwing that out tells me that was an attempt to strike out and do something different and everyone knew it didnā€™t go far enough.

2 Likes

okay but shinji mikami literally said that the failure of REmake is why Resident Evil 4 is the way it is.

Also the early version of RE4 looks awesome, youā€™re trippinā€™

2 Likes

This is also the time period when Silent Hill is usurping REā€™s place as the scary games and they need to redefine what the brand isā€¦is it campy (itā€™s Capcom, they canā€™t escape that destiny if they try)? Is it cruel? Is it gory? Is itā€¦fun?

this is one of my oldest insert credit-isms but I still donā€™t think videogames need to be ā€œfunā€ to be ā€œgoodā€

but honestly to me the traditional survival horror model IS fun to me. I enjoy the tension and limited gameplay. itā€™s more about strategizing and conserving resources than scoring headshots or whatever. and I love RE4 for what it is, Iā€™m just saying ā€“ itā€™s style has become the norm for many action games and classic survival horror gameplay has almost completely died.

2 Likes

itā€™s clear that mikami saw REmake as his masterpiece and I think a part of him died when it failed

I mean if you donā€™t have ā€œtank controlsā€ on your list of requirements for this, 7 is fantastic

2 Likes

I love resident evil 7 primarily because of how much it brings back classic survival horror

itā€™s kind of embarrassing to compare it to the (lovable) mess that evil within is

1 Like

While RE4 ruled, this couldā€™ve ruled, too. Are there any games that follow in this path? Unity and Unreal make these lighting effects fairly trivial now.

thereā€™s a fan made remake of this out there somewhere apparently

This man gonna force my hand on the PSVR, that immersion for replaying 7 is selling me fierce.

QoP '17: REmake is perfection.

3 Likes

I donā€™t disagree with any of that, and I love classic RE and especially the GameCube remake, and of course Silent Hill and all of the flowering from our 15-year-old discourse to expand the space of games and everything thatā€™s exploded from the indie space.

I think weā€™re mostly speculating about something we donā€™t and canā€™t know: the contents of Mikami and Mikamiā€™s teamā€™s mind, and all I can speak to is the creative impulses Iā€™ve seen. Given Mikamiā€™s taste expressed in everything that isnā€™t Resident Evil (goofy, broad, incredibly tight action, riffing on partially-formed genres), I believe RE4 comes from a desire to do something new and make an action game.

2 Likes

Have you played Evil Within 2?

2 Likes

oh my god I literally linked an article where he was like ā€œwe decided to make resident evil 4 an action game because sales for the remake were so badā€ tho

likeā€¦ he has said it multiple times no mind reading required lol

I have not but I hear itā€™s actually really great

toups I get what youā€™re saying here I just think the conclusion youā€™re reaching from it is irrelevant

like, yes, itā€™s different, yes, they had to go in that direction partially in response to commercial pressure, butā€¦ whatā€™s the conclusion here?

Iā€™m also in the ā€œ7 and 1 are my favourites and 4 is kind of boring and the 4 derivatives moresoā€ camp but what is the point weā€™re trying to make? that shinji mikami shouldā€™ve gotten to keep making PS1-style resident evil forever?

I guess I donā€™t believe that tells the full story? The way one talks in an interview, and the type of guarding and hedging one does around business decisions only gives a slice of a mind.

:eyes glow:

yes

3 Likes

sometimes people have to change their plans rather than continue doing precisely what sprang forth from their own brains absent any external forces and that is fine