REDACTED [Takenobu Mitsuyoshi Remix] - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Thread Extended

The above is why I feel worse, by the way. I was doing alright just spamming Young Link’s projectiles until I could get a forward air, but now I’m making all kinds of mistakes trying to emulate the stuff I see tourney players doing. It mostly relates to subtle movements. Chaining those short hop aerials together at just the right distance to apply shield pressure or to cross someone up is pretty hard, especially if they have a little Pichu body.

It’s not frustrating though, and contrary to my initial impressions I think this is a really good game. Brawl and Smash 4 were a complete bust for me, but whatever little tweaks they made to jumping, air dodges, and shields did the trick.

1 Like

Yeah, those subtle movements take a lot of practice. I played a ton of Melee, but the physics here are different enough that I still don’t have great control over my character.

Plus, there are little things that trip me up all the time (like how you can’t run through other characters, and most moves won’t cross up on the ground). And shield grabbing is way slower, so I forget that jumping out of shield is one of the fastest options for most characters.

I don’t think there’s a trick to getting better at those; you just have to play more to build the muscle memory. I find that’s a normal arc for learning most things, though. When you try to incorporate something new into your game plan you get worse before your get better, because your attention is divided. Typically there will be a day when I wake up and suddenly what I’ve been practicing clicks and feels natural and I’m much better than I was before.

put alien soldier in smash ultimate

6 Likes

Yeah, I can feel that.

Like, in the online waiting room stage I feel like I got all of that shorthop aerial stuff down pat, but 5 seconds later when the battle starts I feel like all of that muscle memory is gone and I’m flubbing half my attacks and throwing people in the wrong direction.

I’ve been maining Ness in quickplay and it feels like my winrate has gotten progressively worse the past few play sessions, even as I try incorporating stuff like more aggressive edgeguarding into my playstyle (or maybe that’s what’s causing my problems). I mean, it feels like the people I’m matching up with are getting better at the game more quickly than I am (either that, or it’s just the time of day/week that matters).

My secondary character has changed from “combo-food” Ridley (I still love him) to “what if PK Fire was a kill move” Palutena. I could never make any sense of her in Smash 4, but now for some reason she just comes naturally (read: I win more consistently with her than with Ness). Her aerial game feels very nice, and juggling scrubs with her up-smash never gets old. The only issue is that I seem to flub her recovery more often than Ness’s when going for those risky offstage edgeguards (which doesn’t make any sense to me either).

I feel like a lot of why Palu was bad in 4 and good in Ult is because they finally, finally cleaned up her tilts, thus making her less dependent on her aerials (which, in turn, encourages a more dynamic approach instead of everything being a jump in) and making her nair fucking ridiculous. the once over the whole cast got in cleaning up reflect/absorb moves didn’t hurt either (having one slot for counters instead of two means she can have something useful instead of slotting Lightweight oh wait customs are banned). outside of those things, she’s shockingly pretty similar to how she was before; fair was always a strong juggle option, her back and up airs were always good kill moves

then again, I really haven’t played seriously in a couple of weeks because I have become one with the grind (I gotta run more bounties so I can reforge the last few not-ancient pieces I have and)

Oh hey Plant’s up. They also added the most awkward short hop shortcut (two jump buttons at once).

this is actually awesome. The button combo itself not so much, but having a quick, reproducible short hop command that isn’t automatically tied to an attack is fantastic. Maybe eventually they’ll just make “short hop” a mappable button, because why do we need two jump buttons (AND the option to jump with the stick??)

2 Likes

Piranha plant is exactly as fun as expected, which is to say, very. Love the down-B move.

3 Likes

actual patch notes are more surprising than any possible new character

6 Likes

Only a few nerfs, too; it’s mostly all buffs baby! My boy Incineroar got a better recovery, a stronger up throw, and a stronger up smash. ahhhhhhh

1 Like

man, Plant is way more fun to play than I was expecting, and I was expecting quite a bit!

God I am upset I got caught up in the furvor and bought this game I don’t like. I was thankful I didn’t also buy the fighter pass.

Thinking about play Smash for me is the same as thinking about how I need to clean my shower except if do I don’t get anything out of it.

So the Boxing Ring stage gives every fighter a little nickname, and I found this chart showing the nicknames from every language. The French ones are amazing:

Mario: Le cauchemar des briques (The nightmare of bricks)

Luigi: Le grand vert semeur de bleus (The tall green distributor of bruises)

Piranha Plant: Les dents de la terre (The teeth of the Earth)

Yoshi: Le distributeur d’oeufs au beurre noir (The distributor of black eggs)

Diddy Kong: Pirouettes et cacahouètes (Pirouettes and peanuts)

King K Rool: Le roi croco rococo (The rococo crocodile king)

Zero Suit Samus: Sans armure, quelle allure! (So stylish without armor!)

Kirby: La petite terreur rose (The tiny pink terror)

Lucario: Le canidé aux poings d’acier (The canid with fists of steel)

Ness: Le PSYchopathe en culottes courtes (The PSYchopath in short pants)

Lucas: Le diable de Tazmilly (The Devil of Tazmilly)

Ice Climbers: Le duo qui brise la glace et les os (The duo who breaks ice and bones)

Dark Pit: La réplique diabolique (The diabolic replica)

R.O.B.: Rectifier Oblitérer Broyer (Crush, Obliterate, Rectify)

Little Mac: Le dentiste (The dentist) (??)

Megaman: La gâchette multi-tâches (The multitasking trigger)

16 Likes

these are all incredible but characterizing yoshi as some kind of nega dairy farmer is the most french thing imaginable

4 Likes

that translation seems a little off, I feel like it’s supposed to fashion him as some kind of evil chef who serves up eggs bc “beurre noir” is this very french specific way of slow cooking butter until it’s this sort of black paste.

3 Likes

When Little Mac punches someone out, they often lose their teeth. Hence ‘dentist’, IMO.

5 Likes

this is pretty much an eternal fighting game mood to me

Plant’s poison cloud is ABSURDLY powerful. There’s no way that damage isn’t getting nerfed

4 Likes

the real reason this is amazing is because the French translation for Jaws is Les dents de la mer

13 Likes