Red Dead Redemption 2

I have no idea. Just have to wait to see this explained better, I think.

Edit-I think it’s part of dead eye mode, where you mark your targets in slow motion and such.

maybe you have to hit the pad trigger once to cock the hammer and again to pull the trigger, thus (sort of) simulating the action of a single-action revolver?

That sounds exactly like the sort of thing you’d find in a Rockstar game, yeah. That might be it.

I clicked through some of those links and found this passage which I think is what that blurb is referring to. From the Torygraph’s coverage.

The gunplay in Red Dead Redemption 2 brings back some familiar elements, while at the same time widening the depth on slinging lead. First off, the Dead Eye Mechanic is back; players can slow the action down and paint targets with crosses in a short window of time, before loosing a volley of shots with pinpoint accuracy.

Second, players can also ‘fan’ their six-shooter’s firing pin, quickly emptying the gun’s revolving cylinder in a rapid-fire move that causes a ton of damage. The action is third-person pop-and-cover, although it’s worth picking one’s cover carefully – rock stops more bullets than some wooden structures, for example.

Finally, in a new twist, players have the option of drawing their gun without aiming it. In the previous game, unholstering a weapon immediately brought up a set of crosshairs. This isn’t the case now; players can even aim and cock their gun without firing it, in order to threaten an NPC without any fatal consequences. Naturally, wandering around with a gun in hand brings attention; the mood of the NPCs in the player’s environment changes if their weapon is drawn – even when it isn’t aimed.

the camp stuff is basically all i want from video games forever

Can’t wait to murder literally thousands of people while I ponder the desolation of the west, the end of the outlaw era, and the toll a life of violence takes on mans fragile psyche

10 Likes

games probably going to start with you boning marstons future wife then going back to the campfire sitting next a sullen marston and being all “aw I didn’t know you was sweet on her pardner” and you’re revealed to be trevor philips mad dog mountain man cannibal serial killer ancestor

5 Likes

Sighhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhh

Or, they’re going to make marston the mad dog killer in this one so they can both-sides-are-bad/gtav-ify what was their most likable protagonist

1 Like

Phew, that is PRETTY. I really like all the little rp stuff like an “antagonize” or “hey that’s a nice horse” button.

but will it actually be as good as witcher 3

it does look pretty sick

No game will be as good as the witcher 3.

Honestly someone should make a game or movie about the beginning of the wild west era for once

I don’t think the Wild West era ever actually existed? It’s all just romanticized bits and pieces of particular times and places that coalesced in popular media 100 years after that period in history had passed.

Though I would definitely be down for more super accurate period pieces of historical events like The Revenant or what have you.

Yeah, in a way I think the Western as a genre is specifically about the end of an era. I would like to see that subverted more often. Plus the immediate post civil war era seems like something you could do a lot with.

2 Likes

“The Wild West” was being actively romanticized in popular media even as it occured to real people.

That’s kind of one of the most interesting things about it!

6 Likes

Like the early days of the Internet, then?

1 Like

This is a huge B plot of Unforgiven and one of the reasons it rules