Red Dead Redemption 2

The biggest issue is aligning marketing; consider that the marketing budgets on these games are almost game’s budget again. They’re buying ad space, scheduling press, aligning store shelf space 6 months in advance; it’s not an easy ship to turn.

Or, it can be done, but you have to weigh the millions you’ll spend to do it against the millions you project to lose in sales.

And think of it within a publisher; they prefer to schedule their releases in a certain cadence to make the accounting easier. Pushing one of their three big releases that year out by a quarter or more requires work, at the least.

Starring Tommy Lee Brolan.

horse testicle armor DLC

Oh were you able to see that? It wasn’t showing up for me in desktop Chrome so I assumed giphy links didn’t work and trashed it.

yup, fine in chrome here

Well okay here it is again.

I just get a blank post, nothing showing up.

is it possible one of your browser extensions is overzealously blocking cross-domain requests?

Ahh that is very possible. It shows up in Chrome on my phone which doesn’t use any extensions whereas on desktop I use adblock plus or whatever it’s called. Should probably whitelist giphy.

edit-Nope disable adblock complete doesn’t make it show up. Weird.

or just switch to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en, they’re way better than ABP in general (better business practices and better performance) and apparently in this case too

oh weird discourse tried to mirror the content locally after 5m like it normally does and it broke the embed

I will post this bug upstream if I ever get around to it

1 Like

And there’s one of these:

Seems like they’re really playing this one close to their vest in terms of the marketing. It was already delayed but I wonder how far along the game actually is.

FYI: https://meta.discourse.org/t/giphy-onebox-for-animated-gifs/41478/6?u=axfelix

“Bandwidth hog” doesn’t just mean for the forum. It’s mostly for the user’s benefit.

In 2017.

40mb on mobile isn’t nothing

but it could be signposted better I guess, tech paternalism doesn’t tweak me too much

I would assume, though, that the board would have a mobile view that placeholders GIFs. I just think him saying it’s for the users’ benefit more than the board was dumb.

IGN and the Torygraph got some kind of exclusive coverage of the game to go along with the release of the latest trailer but let’s be honest with ourselves, who really wants to click through eight articles?

Thankfully, someone else already did and summarized the new information.

I’ve compiled the details mentioned in this first look video from IGN, as well as some other sources.

the leaked map was indeed real, but keep in mind it was unfinished.

poker is back (https://i.imgur.com/FFCqyWi.jpg), nothing concrete about liar’s dice and blackjack yet but I’d say they’re likely coming back as well.

Blackwater and the surrounding area are confirmed to be back (Tall Trees, Manzanita Post, Beecher’s Hope, the mountains)

walking to NPCs and some enemies with your gun unholstered will unsettle them whereas being holstered will yield a more friendly or passive response

the way you use the firing trigger determines what you do with your gun. for example, holding the trigger on a revolver and not letting go will just raise the hammer. mashing it will do the famous rapidfire you see in so many westerns.

that is indeed Uncle in the trailer.

you can even rob people by just intimidating them with an unholstered weapon

many more details at play to make the world more lively such as more NPC-to-NPC interaction, stocking your gang’s camp with food affects their mood in-game, etc

the gang’s camp, a hub of sorts, is full of characters, and everyone has a role. some will be sleeping depending on the time of day. you can keep it stocked with food, talk to people in camp, tell stories around the campfire, etc.

more than just food needs to be stocked. there’s a bit of a camp upkeep mechanic, in that you can get wood, water, supplies and horses. the more you have, the more lively, bonded and successful you and your camp are.

judging by the way they describe the demo, there’s no indication that anyone but Arthur Morgan is playable

horses have far more importance and emphasis. you can build a ‘bond’ of sorts with them over time, which will allow them to carry more for you (such as killed animals, or ammo), or be less scared of things like hostile animals and explosions. they can even get injured and you get a chance to save them with medicine. if you lose one it’s gone forever and there is a permanence to the consequences of losing one. every time you get a new horse the whole bonding thing starts over. horse breaking looks to be back as well.

it also appears that your horse can carry your weapons for you, in addition to ammo. this could mean you can only carry 2-3 weapons at once while your horse carries the rest. this also means that weapon wheel is likely gone.

various different types of areas like the last game from swamps, snowy areas and deserts to the more bustling towns and campsites.

hunting and skinning are also obviously back. you can skin animals after killing them or haul them on your horse and take them back to towns to sell.

you can lose your hat in shootouts and, what I assume at least, you’ll be without one until you get another. it’s kinda implied that clothing is back as something you can do, ala GTA V rather than outfits in RDRedemption.

animal AI seems to be more advanced. for example, if you happen to shoot a deer in the shoulder with an arrow they’ll struggle and limp, and you can finish them off.

depending on the weapon you use, the value of the corpse/skins will change. arrows will deal cleaner kills and get you good money, while a shotgun will leave things messier and net you less money.

skins and corpses do indeed rot and decompose if you don’t get them sold in time.

the honor system is back and more advanced.

it seems like smalltime robbery missions are in this game, similar to gas station robberies in GTA V. you can either do it solo or bring on your gang members to help, some of which seem to have their own perks or abilities kind of like the recruitment in GTA V heists. for example, the woman of the gang can either play the role of a scared lost woman or a sleazy harlot as distractions. it’s implied there’s quite a lot of different choices to make in these robberies.

depending on the severity of the robbery, or how well you’ve done in keeping things quiet, you could attract a lot of law and end up in a shootout.

seems to be a killcam of some kind? the guys said that every now and then a kill would show a different angle with some dramatic flair.

more focus on interiors compared to previous Rockstar games. examples include taking things from drawers in homes, thieving from shelves in general stores, stealthily taking bags from train cars, etc.

From this subreddit: Reddit - Dive into anything

And a bit more summarizing straight from the horses mouth:

hmmm yeah I guess I’m enthused for this

I hope it’s as interesting as the last one relative to GTA & that the difficulty curve is a little more engaging

Really I truly believe that all AAA studios need to be doing anymore to promote their games is just release a few hours of gameplay footage when the game is close to a finalized state and get some fan to compile a giant list of minutiae.

what