Quick Questions XIV: A Question Reasked (Part 1)

In Dark 3 pyro scales with both faith and int! You also need vigor, attunement and endurance, so this leaves little room for other stats like dex

On the other hand you don’t really need high stats, at least for a while. I’m going through the Dks3 mid to lategame as a pure pyro right now with only 20 faith and int and having a very easy time. Maybe a few points in dex here and there wouldn’t hurt

Note that pyromancy is hard to find; the NPC pyro seller is hidden somewhere in Undead Settlement and the best spells are… well if you haven’t found them by the time you fight somebody named Wolnir you need to backtrack and look around a little

2 Likes

Ogre Battle has a ton of strengths. A lot of them have very interesting gameplay, and some (all?) of them also have interesting art styles. Sometimes they feel obtuse, but I think that’s important.

The strategy RPG Ogre Battle games are

• Ogre Battle (SNES/PS1/Saturn)
  • Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia (NGPC)
  • Ogre Battle 64 (N64)

The tactical RPG Ogre Battle games are

• Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (SNES/PS1/Saturn)
  • Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (GBA)
  • Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)

Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, and Ogre Battle 64 represent the 5th, 7th, and 6th entries in a shared universe. I honestly do not know how they connect. I kinda want to know, but I also know that Matsuno only worked on the first two, so I kinda don’t want to know. One thing I do like is that the entire story in Tactics Ogre takes place on an island with a handful of towns that would make up half of an Ogre Battle map. Scale rules

Ogre Battle is probably the best OB strategy game to get into. Its art is rough, but that’s part of the charm. OB64 is weirdly soft, which I feel was an evolution of a style berthed from SNES limitations rather than what matches the gameplay. The gameplay is really fascinating. I think if you’re looking for unique gameplay, play this game. There’s just so much game.

Tactics Ogre PSP is probably the best overall pick, though. It’s kind of like the final evolution of the 32-bit era Tactical RPG genre. The art is amazing and it’s fast and breezy without losing the grit of it all. And for someone like me that does believe a single person on a giant team can have a huge impact, it’s really great to see Matsuno come back to work on this one. I think if you want an alternative, you should play a translated SNES ROM. It won’t be as pretty, but you’ll have a FFWD function, and that’s worth a lot for this giant game. The GBA game was alright and it has its fans, but it’s definitely not representative.

2 Likes

either of the two SNES games that Matsuno actually directed, which are very different

1 Like

did original sin 2 definitive edition change/add much?

SNES Ogre Battle has a really punishing alignment/popularity system and was near unbeatable pre-save states if you had parents that wanted to watch TV at all that afternoon. That said I still totally loved it. Maybe part of the reason was that it was an $70 game when it first came out. NBA Jam TE was the only other game I remember being above that $60 tier that most of the other JRPGs fell into.

1 Like

no, it just makes a lot of the long running side quests and the final act less broken

Any skill/trait picks you found especially useful or (most importantly) fun? I keep starting dos2 and stopping, i love the flavor but i suffer from choice paralysis that makes dense tactical RPGs like it hard to get into. all the other places i look for game advice online seem to push for min-maxy optimal skill choices and i don’t want that either

This game is sweet.

5 Likes

you can swap stuff around a lot! the game goes out of its way not to let you get locked in

in general I was happy with:

ifan - huntsman / polymorph
prince - warfare / geomancer
fane - summoning / scoundrel / necro
lohse - hydro / pyro / aero

1 Like
1 Like

when i played ‘lone wolf’ that lets you only take one companion in exchange for higher stats was overpowered enough that the early game was very smooth plus eliminated a lot of decision paralysis by limiting me to two characters lol

not sure if there was a rebalance or anything in definitive edition

also super useful to have someone with the invis skill to steal anything/everything

1 Like

I actually thought that was just solo, good to know you can have one other. That said, 3 of the companions felix mentioned were by far my favorites and the squad i want to go with (Prince/Fane/Lohse) so also good to know they’re a pretty reliable team. I will probably roll deep

I specifically want to futz with polymorph because it’s cool to be a shapeshifter

also i picked the trait that lets you talk to animals because what fool wouldn’t

yeaaaah i think it’s time for a second playthrough

I have tried Untitled Goose Game on a friend’s switch. The goose is really lovely (especially the way it moves)… BUT… Am I the only one finding that the game has bad controls? Trying to perform certain actions is a bit of a chore…

goose body is long and not really upright-cylinder-shaped like humans, they have a minor case of the problem every game with a four-logged creature has of trying to determine turning radius with an input heritage that assumes immediately responsive turning.

They also have some target-selector issues with the goose’s neck, especially when a pile of selectable objects sits in a pile. That’s hard for anyone to solve

1 Like

The goose being barely even manageable by the player ostensibly controlling the goose is ideal goose behavior

8 Likes

Unbridled Loose Game

3 Likes

Honk is the only completely responsive control in all situations and that seems entirely appropriate

4 Likes

Yes, this is the main issue I have found. It prevents me from enjoying the game… But maybe I should give it more time

25 posts were split to a new topic: what megaman game should i play first