Quick Questions XIV: A Question Reasked (Part 1)

In the rock and roll smash hit Bad Boy, written and originally performed by Larry Williams and then later repopularized in a fiery take by the Beatles, the second verse contains the lyric:

“He buy every Rock’n’Roll book on the magazine stand. Every dime that he get, he’s off to the Jukebox Man.”

Now, there is a chance that the lyric is actually:

“He buy every Rock’n’Roll book on the magazine stand. Every dime that he get, he’s off to the jukebox, man.”

But I don’t believe it. So. Was there once some kind of jukebox attendant operator profession I am unaware of? Like those elevator guys? If so, what were the duties of these Jukebox Men? Solely accepting loose change from snot nosed runabouts in an attempt at keeping the world’s coin chutes and push buttons free of boogers?

2 Likes

I have bought the Ivory Catalyst of Oolacile. What are the best spells to use?
Have spells different intelligence requirements, among each other?
If so, I guess that, even with the Ivory Catalyst, I would only be able to use a subset of spells that requires maximum the same intelligence of ivory catalyst (unless I pump up intelligence a bit mre)… Correct?

Yes both sorceries and catalysts have intelligence requirements. The higher end sorceries require in the neighborhood of 40 int in order to attune them. Most combat sorceries are magic missile type ranged attacks that vary based on speed and power, the strongest of those are called soul spears and can pierce through enemies (and rip bosses to shreds). You can also buy some more utility type sorceries from Dusk, like hidden body (invisibility) and cast light (really helpful in a few areas). If you want to do a magic swordsman type character, there are spell buffs that add magic damage to your weapon and make your shield stronger.

There are two other sorcery trainers who are somewhat off the beaten path. The first one should be available to you right now, if you’re being reasonably thorough you might have found him already; the second is pretty tough to get to and in an area where exploring is stressful lol

Oh! and after you leave the area or reload the game after saving Dusk, go to the back of the cave where you saved her and you can get her clothes. Her crown lowers your magic resist, but gives a huge boost to all magic (pyromancy and miracles too). And it looks pretty.

1 Like

Thank you. Unfortunately, I cannot find the dusk set anymore. It was not there when i first saved Dusk, and I didn’t know I should have quit and reloaded the game. Now I have already opened the path to Oolacile.
I tried to go back to where I saved Dusk, in human form also, but there is no trace of the set. Is there a way to find it would be somewhere else?

Also: what would be the main reasons to play NG+? Just more of the same and harder?

The game is wonderful, by the way. May absolute favourite game before Dark Soul was Shadow of the Colossus, but now i don’t know anymore.

2 Likes

Yes pretty much. It’s not too much harder though since you keep all your old equipment and levels. I think a few enemies and bosses may have a new attack sometimes as well? Also a chance to have other players Gravelord you. Mostly just more health and damage though. For me I also like to make my NG+ playthrough the one where I play with a guide next to me the entire time to check out whatever I missed the first time.

Dark Souls 1 does actually have a sort of secret second story path with a different ending that provides additional insight into its lore. To go down that path instead you need to (if you’re already in Oolacile then you can’t access it anyway on your current playthrough so probably not much of a spoiler to you now at least?) defeat the Four Kings boss before you ring the second bell of awakening. In order to do that you will need to kill Ingward (the guy dressed in red who gives you the key in New Londo) and steal his key from him early. Also to defeat Sif again to get the Abyss Covenant ring.

1 Like

Im not sure why Dusk’s set didn’t show up, it sounds like you unlocked the DLC and that might have delayed it appearing? It should be showing up on a corpse near the portal to Oolacile

NG+ is only really fun if your character took until late in the game to put together imo. Running through the early parts and crushing everything with your endgame gear is a good time. I usually stop by the second half, when it’s just the same but everything kills you in two shots instead of three. They never really used NG+ to its full potential sadly, DS2 tried the hardest

Okay. Generally I don’t like playing NG+ in games, and I think I will not do so here, either.
On a side note, I can finally wield a Murakumo +10 and it’s amazing. I love the movement set. It is much more various (and and puts you much more in close contact with the enemy) than the Great Scythe, my former favourite.

If I am itching for SaGa Frontier, do I go through the hassle of emulating or can I play something from Steam/PS4 (Romancing SaGa 3, Scarlet SaGa, etc.)?

I would say the biggest reason to play NG+ is to get certain copies of gear and spells to make very specific builds for pvp

Are there any modern games with a 90s anime fantasy aesthetic? Was that Berserk musou game any good?

1 Like

no

2 Likes

Is 25$ the right price for Days Gone?

There is no price that would be the right price for me. But listen to guybrush threepwood.

4 Likes

Cosmic Star Heroine at least gestures at 90s anime space opera, albeit inconsistently. That upcoming Lodoss War platformer?

1 Like

Are there any turn based / tiled games that have multi tile enemies?

5 Likes

DCSS, a.k.a. the only game I know, has multi-tile tentacles now. NetHack has long worms.

HoMM has quite a few two-tile creatures but that feels different.

Thinking about this makes me want an rpg/roguelike with go-style combat based on expanding/engulfing.

Deadly Rooms of Death has “living tar” that grows every 30 turns (and can only be stabbed in certain layouts). There are also multi-tile snakes who have to be cornered to kill.

Cave Noire has some 2x2 enemies, but the AI/movement in that game is very simple patterns.

A roguelike or turn based game with lots of multitile enemies could be a pretty interesting niche, and afaik doesn’t currently exist.

3 Likes

Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for but lots of TRPGs have them. FE 3 houses, Banner Saga, Devil Survivor, Front Mission…

They’re always either 2x2 squares, or massive but stationary

1 Like

Yeah I think some Mystery Dungeons have 2x2 tile bosses.

Yep can confirm the first Shiren at least ends with a 2x2 tile boss