Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

what

that’s monstrous

pocket monstrous

10 Likes

Hi I play warhammer. I am the master of probabilities. Your math is correct.

4 Likes

I thought it was something like this but thank y’all for verifying

unless I’m wrong, the formula is actually 1 - (19/20 * 19/20) which just happens to also be 9.75%

if you want to see it graphed

is there such a thing as a top down or isometric perspective combat system that’s good but is real time not turned based and not about mowing down hordes and not wrestling

1 Like

beyond oasis?

1 Like

Did you dislike transistor?

I missed that one

I mean its real time with pause but its the most interesting take on ‘rtwp’ I’ve seen and makes me actually like that paradigm

And there are a few ways to build your character where you never use the pause.

2 Likes

RT-55J’s numbers are what you get if you draw a probability tree, and add all the probabilities from the branches which had at least one success.

There is only one branch of the probability tree which has no successes, so Tulpa’s formula finds the chance of that particular branch and then subtracts it from one (all probabilities add up to one) to find the chance of at least one success.

I find the first way easier to intuit, but the second way is much faster once there are more than two trials, and i didn’t know about it until you posted.

4 Likes

thanks for clarifying, I’ve always done it the latter way and forget that one can draw probability trees

4 Likes

That’s funny because I thought about this question for like 30 full seconds and also could only come up with Transistor.

There is also Bastion of course, I didn’t dislike it as much as many here, but Transistor is straight better.

Hyper Light Drifter had a pretty rad combat system. Sometimes you’re mowing down hordes, but there are great 1v1 fights too, especially the boss fights.

Titan Souls is very simple, but it works very well too. It’s pretty much a boss rush where all the fights are complex and interesting, and you only have one (rather well thought out) attack verb.

Wait for Eitr imo

yeah Eitr looks great, I did really really like Titan Souls for how derivative and simple it was though

zelda

If one wanted to become familiar with the game-making tools predominantly preferred by amateur designers, where would one start these days?

My impression as a dabbler is Game Maker, RPG Maker, and Unity seem to be the big ones these days. Some weirdos (including me) like Clickteam Fusion 2.5, but it seems distinctly less prevalent.

3 Likes