Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

look i own ffe heroes already what android games are good dungeon delvers or cardmans

should I invest in PSVR? It’s in this weird area where it’s clearly not selling but it’s also clearly the future? Does anyone else here own it, are you happy with your purchase?

1 Like

I mean, it is selling pretty freaking good for what it is?

not saying you should buy one, but I feel like Sony has sold pretty good on it, and at least in Japan, there were lines for it and such.

I just bought one because Wal Mart had a deal for the GTSport bundle for $250 which I thought was a damn good deal.

I haven’t opened it yet. but I bought it for Wipeout.

It has wipeout and polybius and RE7 which is several more genuinely good games than other vr platforms

1 Like

Had no idea there was a Wipeout game, that’s pretty cool. I was also interested in playing the Inpatient. I think Adi said some good things about that one and I enjoyed Until Dawn quite a bit.

I’m on the fence about wanting to finally get a PSVR but I also kind of want to wait a while longer and see if they put out a new version with a bit higher resolution.

1 Like

Anyone else watched the Travis Strikes Again gameplay videos from PAX? It looks like lazy garbage, but I’m just taking a quick pulse check with the forum on Suda. Maybe this should be a separate thread.

I saw some footage of the demo from a recent event (maybe PAX or GDC) and I thought it looked really unremarkable.

1 Like

I’m kind of into how much it looks like an XBLA kind of game. Though some stuff looks a little jank but that can easily be part of the charm.

Were Pokémon Black/White (2) some of the good ones in the series? Because I’ve suddenly felt dire urge to play one of those again for the first time since Ruby and I kind of want it to be have the nice 2d pixels.

If I’m most likely to ever only play one of them in that generation does any one outrank the other? Seen some VERY mixed answers to all these questions in the past.

Does anyone here have the knowledge (or patience) necessary to parse a modern MAME driver file, figuring out the details of what exactly it is doing? Like pulling things apart with disassembly. Something that can automatically comment this stuff with ‘translations’ would be great, if that exists.

What I’m specifically trying to do is figure something out from an individual game driver and the video hardware driver it references:
https://git.redump.net/mame/tree/src/mame/drivers/overdriv.cpp
https://git.redump.net/mame/tree/src/mame/video/k053246_k053247_k055673.cpp

My theory, which may be totally wrong, is that I can take the four sprite ROMS and look at them in a tile viewer/editor, which should be much more convenient than the graphics viewer in MAME. But I have a couple of problems. The first should be easy enough if I do some research - I need to figure out if the sprite roms need to be interleaved first, like the main CPU ROMs.

But even with the right file configuration, I still won’t be sure what settings to use in a tile viewer, and there are dozens of possible combinations to check out. I wouldn’t mind doing that, except that I’m pretty sure the exact settings I want are right there in the drivers. I just don’t know when I’m looking at them.

Besides that, I guess I’m also looking for the most modern, flexible tile viewer. Preferably one without an embarassing name.

Quick probability question because if I knew math I woulda been a fuckin doctor.

Which of these give the greater chance of success, or are they equal?

Two independent 5% chances
A single 10% chance

as a doctor, i’d say both are pretty fuckin unlikely

4 Likes

Assuming you’re looking for one success between those two trials, I think this works out to:

1/20 + (19/20 * 1/20) = 9.75%

EDIT: I’m not sure if my answer is 100% percent correct, but intuitively it makes sense for it to be less likely. Two 5% chances would be less than 10%, because twenty 5% chances would be less than 100%.

(Probability is stupid.)

2 Likes

yup the single 10 is marginally higher

1 Like

fkn monty hall

idk about the 2s but the original Black/White were probably my favorites since I played Red/Blue/Silver/Gold as a child? Encountering only new pokemon until you beat the Elite Four went a long way for me. It was the perfect formula of finding new monsters and attacks with sensible streamlining and not too many out-there additions (Mega evolutions in X/Y weren’t my thing for instance).

That’s a pretty glowing recommendation then! Still curious about the sequel versions though. With previous gens I don’t think there was ever any question that Crystal, Emerald and Platinum were the versions to play of those games but the opinions seem split on these.

Some small improvements seem nice (auto re-apply repel, easy held item switching, move tutors) as well as generally more locations and post-game stuff but people seem real critical about what this does to the pacing? Apparently lots of added boring caves that you have to trudge through and while the continued character stories from the prequels are nice to see (not that I could appreciate that) it’s generally just a way less interesting main quest you follow. Mostly though people just seem mad that they only made Pokemon breeding available post-game which I can understand for series veterans but I myself don’t engage with much anyway so kind of moot.

Huh, think I’m actually convincing myself pretty well here.