Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/gameplay-feature-squad-management/
https://www.uvlist.net/groups/info/recruiting (browse around x-com style games for more tags)
https://www.giantbomb.com/x-com/3025-120/concepts/ (somewhere in here I’m sure, maybe, could be)
surprise there isn’t something on tvtropes. or is there?
some Dwarf Fortress-inspired settlement-building games probably count too

Has anyone played the Guild Was 2 expansion that came out last fall? I am curious about it but I haven’t played since before the first expansion.

1 Like

Question the first:

Are any of the games in the Atelier series worth playing? On the one hand they look like colourful, stress-free alternatives to regular JRPG battlefests, but on the other hand they could just be tedious grind-a-thons with an overload of moe tropes.

Question the Second:

I had a dream the other day that I bought one of those C64 minis, which came in a big cardboard box, and when I opened it I found just a bunch of toilet rolls. I was pretty pissed off.
Anyway, since then I have had this strange urge to buy one, but my experience with the Commodore 64 is mostly just swearing at ELIZA and playing simple ASCII games in my primary school computer room, as well as playing a few random games at a friend’s place.

So since nostalgia isn’t much of a factor for me, is there much on the C64 that is worth revisiting in 2018, or is it one of those ‘you had to be there’ kind of things where game design has moved on enough that it’s not really worth the effort?

pretty much all the best C64 titles were scumm games and/or ported to the NES (archon, Ultima 4, maniac mansion, pirates). The only exception maybe would be international karate+ which has informed a lot of other games and doesn’t really need to be played in its original form in 2018.

1 Like

play c64 games if you want a look at a weird proto-indie scene where almost every game on the market was made by unsupervised teenagers with no production budget and were just making games about whatever they felt like

but don’t go in there looking for actual good games

this advice can be applied to pretty much every micro that was popular in the uk tbh

6 Likes

I think this is mostly what I was interested in with the C64, but dunno if that alone is worth the price

the keys on the C64 mini don’t work and the joystick is reported to be rubbish, so i wouldnt spend any money on it.

1 Like

They’re pretty chaming chill JRPGs for little girls, but idk what the tier list is or anything

1 Like

One of the main reasons to revisit C64 games now is for their music. Some of the arcade ports are a little rough to play but have music that improves on the original. Even some games that are arguably unplayable have excellent music.

I would still recommend Bruce Lee to anyone.

There are a lot of strange and experimental games that are worth investigating, but the C64 Mini would probably not be the place to look for those, even if the hardware were perfect. It does appear to have Boulder Dash, though, which is a good one (and one that was available in the Wii store).

1 Like

love this organ-grinder-by-way-of-new-order thing they have going on

picture a swarthy old fat man on a streetcorner with an accordion and a monkey on his shoulder saying “tell me, a-monkey, a-how does it feel?”

3 Likes

The music and graphical aesthetic were the other main draws for the C64 for me I think.

The list of games on the mini seems like a bit of a mixed bag, but you can add ROMs through a hilariously convoluted method. I suppose I could just emulate, but I am kind of a sucker for these kinds of things.

always been into the saboteur 2 aesthetic:

also

2 Likes

As far as c64 games, Impossible Mission is remarkably solid, though I suppose its been ported to everything else

I always preferred the ZX Spectrum color palette myself

Videogames and computing died with the microcomputers

3 Likes

i saw a post a few weeks/ months ago in the news thread or somewhere abt a new/upcoming jp underwater game with strong ps1 vibes (on the switch?) and now i cant find it. does this ring a bell to anyone or did i dream it

Was it Diluvion, Earth Atlantis, Ace of Seafood, or Fight Crab?

2 Likes

I’ve bought several of these games, probably forgetting I’d done so, and tried to get into them and it just hasn’t worked out. Never been able to get into the flow of them enough to find the “go gather resources, hunt monsters for some extra coin, mix items to order” loop satisfying. Later games have removed most of the time management elements which seem like they’d be critical to feeling like there was any stakes whatsoever, but perhaps that’s a good thing, I dunno.

The newer games aren’t as bad about it, but several of the PS3-era ones had character designs that leaned a little bit too much on the “horny, but trying to disguise it” side of the moe character design line even for my heightened immunity.

2 Likes

it was ace of seafood! ty

1 Like

You can now openly admit to the desire we all share to become seafood.

fuuuuck

6 Likes