Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

The Taiwanese game ‘Detention’ is coming to Switch soon, and since it is a spooky horror game set in 1960s Taiwan it looks like my kind of thing. I was wondering if anyone here has played it and what thoughts you have?

Here is the trailer:

Question the Second:
Are there any other notable Taiwanese games?

2 Likes

(I wasn’t sure where to ask this, so mods feel free to move this somewhere more relevant)

I don’t suppose anybody here has a collection of bootleg OSTs? When Final Fantasy IX came out, I downloaded a rip of the OST off of somebody on IRC (128kbps, of course) but it was a rip of a bootleg and it had a different version of the Crystal World track that was kind of a trippy remix. I remember being able to find it occasionally on video game music sites, but not anymore, and every upload on YouTube is of the legit 3:40 track. Does anyone know what I’m talking about, or does anyone happen to have a bootleg FFIX OST that could check if they have a different version of the Crystal World theme? I’d be much obliged. (It was 100% not an OCremix or anything like that, and it’s not from the PLUS tracks or any of the arrange albums, and I even checked FFIII albums and remixes since Crystal World is an arrangement of Crystal Room, but nothing).

I just want to hear it again!

1 Like

it was the first game I beat when I got a PS4. sound design is great. art style is p cool and I took a couple screenshots bc there were areas I wanted to remember. story was alright! I wrote down that it had a “wonky element” but I don’t remember what it was. I also wrote down that it was a good use of my time! so I hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Ugh every time I’m reminded that Detention exists and yet I haven’t played it yet I become kind of disappointed in myself. It just seems like such a downer though.

Notable? Probably not. There’s a whole lot of kind of D grade pirate stuff. Other than that I don’t really know.

Honestly whatever the state of the actual Taiwanese games industry is, the movie Yi yi (A one and a two) by Edward Yang justifies its existence. It’s ostensibly the best movie (partially) about video games ever made.

2 Likes

One of the biggest problems with determining (from a Western perspective) if there are any notable Taiwanese releases is that their software market and developers/publishers are easily conflated with Hong Kong and mainland China. It’s also quite possible there’s been significant but unattributed outsourcing.

just looked and realized there are at least two notable developers in the pre-MMO era: International Game Systems, who was probably the most prominent (and successful) non-Japanese company to carve a niche in the Asian arcade market; and Softstar Entertainment, who repeatedly raised the bar for Asian CRPGs and probably boosted a fair amount of the (legit) Chinese software market for years.

could it be that you are perhaps thinking of an arrangemet of “(The) Prelude”, which is the melody most people hear in “Crystal World”, though there are certain similarities to the FFIII song?
A number of Square PS1 demo discs use an unidentified arrangement of the song for their menus, starting with the Tobal no.1 pack-in featuring the FF7 demo:

I don’t know how it might’ve gotten mixed in with those mp3s, but supposedly it’s been on several demo discs, sometimes using different instrument samples.

man, I had forgotten how chipper the FFX version is.

2 Likes

havent played it, but i co-edited a piece at haywire recently about it. spoiler warning tho it definitely piqued my interest in the game

1 Like

Wireless headphones for use with my laptop - yay or nay? Is there any noticeable latency (is that even the right term here?) when gaming/watching movies?

Yes, latency is the right term, and yes it’s noticeable on most wireless headphones. This claims the average latency is 200ms: https://stephencoyle.net/latency/. However, if you get AptX Low Latency headphones (and transmitter if needed), the latency is supposed to be on par with wired. An example headphone supporting that is https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Wireless-Bluetooth-Foldable-Headphones/dp/B01A0EAYDI . It definitely feels freeing not to be entangled in the audio wire all the time.

I’m just glad they make single-ear wireless headsets that support A2DP rather than just HFP now

wow i love how much time they take introducing the motif

Nah, it’s definitely a remix of the Crystal World track and is still set in that I guess “key” that differentiates Crystal Room/World from the Prelude. There’s a part where an almost spooky synth comes in, and I believe the percussion is kind of sparse but it has kind of trippy delay and reverb on it. I might have to just pay for some Usenet time and go searching through Usenet.

Thanks, though.

long shot but have you tried soulseek?

1 Like

That didn’t occur to me – I always assumed torrents killed P2P clients. I’ll check it out, though, and apparently eMule is still around, so I’ll try that, as well.

Thanks.

(apparently i deleted this, woops)

1 Like

slsk is brilliant these days imo, everyone has so much internet that you can just grab anything

4 Likes

Unfortunately, no luck, but it only shows online users’ files, right? So, I’ll keep trying. Here’s hoping Gabumon98 will accidentally share an ancient portion of their harddrive with their 128kbps rips from 18 years ago they never got around to deleting. :crossed_fingers:

On the plus side, I found that Zwei album I really liked when I was a teenager on there.

Much obliged.

1 Like

The time is nigh for me to finally get into Yakuza: 0 or Kiwami first? I’ve read differing opinions on both and it seems there’s a strong split of

“Zero is so good maybe best in series, and more of Kawami’s designed to tie in afterwards"
vs
"Play in order of release and get the sense of progression/chronological development”

These are effectively JRPGs with beat-em-up battle systems, so committing to this means committing to 6 40+ hour games.

It’s pulp crime stories so I’d treat it like any other serialized pulp: get in where it’s good and dig further from there if you want.

(definitely play 0 first, especially between 0 and Kiwami; the first game hadn’t figured out the goofy sidequests and money-making minigames that provide the highlights of later games)

1 Like

0 has cabaret club game

can anyone name thing i’m referring to here?

I had never heard of this game until your post here, but I played through it today and enjoyed its attempt at mimicking Silent Hill within its particular historical context. There is some decent surrealism in places. I think I got the bad ending. (There are apparently two, but given the story I’m not sure how much more positive the good ending could be.)

1 Like