Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

A friend actually gave me Kiwami earlier today, but I’ll see if I can get my hands on 0 this week for cheaps!

Yeah, Kiwami is not a good place to start, and asking someone to go all the way back to the messiness of the PS2 games is a bit much. I mean, I am a big proponent of 0 having some big things that won’t have the same resonnance for someone who isn’t entrenched in the series (really the first two games being the most relevant) but I also know going back to those games would not be fun.

Kiwami is strange for how it takes Majima, who was a genuinely threatening psychopath in the original first game, and makes him all comedy, which I kinda don’t like, but it is still good.

Emulate the first half-hour of PS2 Yak1 to witness the 15 second wait between adventure mode and battle mode. Play Kiwami for an enjoyable experience in 2018.

Either way, the penultimate boss fight blows chunks.

Any boss fight in these games involving guns is terrible. Yak4’s final boss is the worst offender in my opinion

1 Like

Yeah gun fights are always just annoying grinds to see if you have enough health restoration.

I just started Kiwami and it is very badly paced and pretty dang confusing to give you any sense of the characters or players. I assume it is a pretty straight remake so the holes are still there. Like I already know the stakes and the story arc but the story telling is very B-grade PS2 game to stich together fighting.

Yeah, Kiwami is kinda a Problem, the more I think about it after playing it, which makes sense as the first game was kinda a mess in a lot of ways. The plot pacing is really bad, like there is a part in the late middle of the game where the plot just sorta disappears for a bit so Our Dude can just kinda be A Dude and run some fetch quests that would totally have been side stories in the later games, but aren’t in this one. It means that the end of the game feels very abrupt and not like a solid climax for things. And yeah, the penultimate boss is some bulllllshit.

The story additions are in Kiwami both OK (the added stuff with Nishiki kinda helps show his transition from Fail Bro in 0 to Badness here) and not so great (the way too much Majima kinda makes him a little too harmless; part of what was interesting with him in the early games was the sense that he didn’t even know what he was going to do or who he was allied with). I kinda miss the mystery of Majima, or at least when he seemed like “the most likely dude in these games to have actually enjoyed murdering someone”. The added minigames (basically everything from 0 aside from the arcade games) are still fun, but highlight the pacing issues even moreso.

I mean, I sound like I am complaining too much to like the game, but hell, this is an RPG that I finished (for a second time, if one counts my playthrough of the original) and as Rudie can tell you, this is not a thing I do very often.

so lately my favourite little amusement has been to put my phone in my lapel pocket and turn the flashlight on.

my question to you, gentle reader, is this: was it James from Silent Hill 2 who also had a lapel torch? or was it someone else in some other game?

James has a portable flashlight that has a 90 degree bend that he puts in his pocket, which yeah, I think counts.

There is a whole page on the SH wikia about this, haha. http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Flashlight

2 Likes

beautiful! this is perfect. thank you so much

1 Like

does anyone here have any of those animal crossing amiibo cards they dont want or would sell

specifically any of these
27939777_10213238101341082_1212002854_n

Where is that thread that was comparing songs that sounded similar in uncanny ways? Did it get axed? I can’t remember the title.

I think it was called something about self harm, and I think it got axed. I was looking for it as well, to post that song that sounds like Ice Cap Zone, which everyone probably already knows about

I probably have the last 5… i have sets 3 and 4 except like 3 cards. You can borrow them!

If your games and emulators on win10 seem to be running like shit lately it is because of a new “feature” called Fullscreen optimization which universally seems to work like shit and MS going we are working with intel and nvidia to make this new feature we forced on you not complete shit.

1 Like

might I recommend using a functional OS like Windows 7 or an Ubuntu-based Linux distro for compute gaming

2 Likes

Thanks, this explains why Dark Souls 2 has been behaving strangely for me lately.

1 Like

Titanfall 2 for $10, probably never going to play multiplayer. Yay or nay?

2 Likes

Campaign is definitely worth 10 dollars. Takes a couple levels to get going but once it does, hoo boy.

I’d say get it for sure. I never touched the multi-player and I had a lot of fun with the game. I had to play it on easy mode, though.

1 Like