Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Okay wow this looks cool, gonna use this to play multiplayer games on the cast. I’ll update this thread once we test it out

1 Like

how do you tell how much battery an xbone controller has in win10? the ‘xbox accessories’ app that comes up whenever i google doesn’t show it

why is this more complicated than hovering over the bluetooth tray icon

FWIW, there is a barcade in Eugene, Oregon, called Shoryuken League that is basically what people are lamenting doesn’t exist. It has a few arcade cabinets, but it also has dozens of consoles from every generation starting with the NES and going up to the PS4 (and probably the Switch now), with a menu of games for each. You pay a $5 cover to get in and then you go to one of the eight TV/couch setups and a bartender comes over and sets your console up for you. The game selections are real good. It’s ideal for local multiplayer games. Someone’s always playing Nidhogg, which is great. I played Mario Kart 64 and old Smash with a couple of friends who basically have no use for videogames since they’ve become Adults.

The place is also super indie friendly and in coordination with some people from the local game developers’ association runs a Indie Play Test Night every two or three months, where I’ve shown my games off a bunch. It’s a blast.

TBH, I thought these kinds of barcades were pretty common but I am saddened to find out they aren’t.

4 Likes

Facebook/Yelp/etc is telling me SRKL turned into Game Pub. Please confirm that GP is as cool as that posts says it is? I am trying to get in contact w/ them to set up some Moon Fields…

Oh, yeah, looks like it’s Game Pub now. I moved away from Eugene ~6 mos. ago, so I haven’t been in lately to check up on it. Still, assuming it’s an in-name-only change, I’m gonna guess it’s still precisely as cool as I say it is. I don’t recall them ever having like a game-specific play night, but I could see them doing one like a normal bar might do a tasting night. Wish I had made contact with the owners or managers so I could help get you an in.

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about Oxenfree! I haven’t played it yet, though. Also I actually had to stop myself from buying NITW a second time for Switch since I already own it on PS4, so I guess just consider this an endorsement for either course of action.

I couldn’t get into it but as I just demonstrated in the monhun thread I am very picky about modern adventure games. I would at the very least not play it before Kentucky Route Zero.

I tried to play it with a friend and we both agreed it was too, uh…

talky?

joss whedon-y?

a little too clever?

but we only played like 30 minutes

1 Like

It’s talky, maybe too talky, but it’s built around a novel dialogue system, so the talking is the point.

I think Oxenfree sticks the landing after a weak middle act while Night in the Woods peters out after a deliberate build.

Oxenfree doesn’t have irritating platforming stages but it’s about half as long.

yeah i agree, the dialog mechanic (and perfomances!) are very cool.

it’s a sappy teenager story of hangin out in abandoned places and weird shit happening. i had a good time with it, for sure

Thanks for the responses all. I have to admit though that I already bought it last night since I realised the sale ends tomorrow and it is only $6. I bought too many Switch games lately but I will probably get NITW later on when Owlboy comes out

It’s less that than Japanese PC gamers not being a huge market. I need mean, I think that the MonHun PC version isn’t even getting a release there, last I heard. It’s just a low priority for Sega HQ at this point, much like it is for Capcom.

But monhun already has Japanese exclusive PC titles?

1 Like

Isn’t it just the one (Frontier)? Monster Hunter Online is China-only.

i’d keep an open mind
we live in an age where romancing saga 2 got a western xbox one release

1 Like

There is MonHun Frontier, which is playable in Japan, Korea, and China, and as I recall was outsourced from Capcom for development. But yeah, as of December, Capcom was saying they were unsure if they were going to bother with releasing World on PC in Japan, even with the delay for the PC version.

This is even moreso a thing for Yakuza, which has never had a main series release on a non-Sony console aside from the WiiU port of 1/2, which I have no idea how well it did on sales. Given the turnaround on titles in the series, I can’t imagine there is a lot of downtime on the team for ports, so it would be up to Sega to determine if it is worth throwing more money at the project to hire additional people.

Meanwhile this is happening:

Though I can’t imagine Puyo Puyo Tetris is a very demanding port considering it’s on everything in Japan

Yeah, on the cost/benefit analysis, porting that would probably be pretty cheap.

I’ve played ~5hrs of The Moon Fields via Parsec and I want to play more. Is… anyone else interested? Ya’ll don’t need to do anything besides have XB/PS controllers and install https://parsecgaming.com

I could give it a shot. I have to find a controller though, so it might be Thursday night