Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

We too have these things in the US, I remember checking out the game selection at the library in my backwoods town (it was mostly Wii stuff and PC edutainment). This particular game room has old consoles you can rent too, which is the real draw. I have yet to see a Jaguar or Turtles in Time at a library.

1 Like

Most of my early PC gaming was thanks to the local library. I even got Starcraft there, nobody had used the CD key online so I played a lot online.

Oh and my dad had a CD copier so…that was good too

2 Likes

you gotta tell the librarian “BIG APPLE … three a m” and give a thumbs up, they’ll know what to do

7 Likes

yeah a board game cafe/board game bar model would be good for old console games. Indeed, much of my socializing at the few cons I’ve gone to have been in retro game rooms where we just sat around and passed a controller before a crt and some saturn game

1 Like

There’s a bar here you can rent old games/consoles at. I’m not super into it tbh

let me be the first one to say that, if confronted with that circumstance, I would be a total crank about people fetishizing original media

itd be insufferable if its like the ‘board game bars’ where all they have on offer is munchkin, cards against humanity, monopoly, and cosmic encounter but if the video game selection is actually carefully considered…

1 Like

My board game bar is just a card table and Moby Dick, or, the card game and me trying to convince patrons that the way it’s bad is sorta amusing for 1/3 of a game hey please don’t leave

4 Likes

There is a go board under the table but if anyone asks I mention the stones have trace amounts of lead in them so you should wash your hands after playing and no there is not a sink I’m sorry

1 Like

Also I forgot the drinks

2 Likes

Theres a barcade in Salem that has mainly your usual arcade games set up, but a few consoles as well. last time i went i spent a lot of the time sipping on a dark’n’stormy and watching some women at a nearby table play Melee.

It was a very packed bar at that moment, but i’d like to find a time when it’s less busy to pop in with some friends.

A game cafe would be pretty ideal though.

You still in MSP? If so, what bar? On that note, what did you think about Up/Down? It’s, uh, very bro-y. I should’ve known, considering…

Edit: for ya’ll unfamiliar, Up/Down is a barcade upstart in the Midwest with 3 locations? This is the website for the Minneapolis location I’m talking about:

Many of my old bar friends have been asking me about this model. I know that it makes $$$ and is relatively easy/understandable/doable, but yeah… that’s all I got

I’ve been to the Up/Down in Kansas City. It was pretty good. I liked it better than Ground Kontrol in Portland. It didn’t have any rhythm games, it was mostly stuff like xmen and 80s classics. Some pinball, and skiball. The pizza was cheap and decent, the bar was pretty good. They had 80s movies and old Wrestlemanias playing on the TVs.

I had a good time for the couple hours I was there, but I wouldn’t spend all my free time there.

I look it up and I guess it closed down at some point. I have no opinion on bars that don’t have famous hamburgers because I don’t go to bars otherwise.

1 Like

Last summer I went to a bookstore in Boston while wearing an Earthbound T-shirt. The cashier noticed my shirt, and it turned out he was the owner of that Salem barcade! He slipped a coupon for a free game into my book. But the coupon expired in 2 days. I still haven’t been there!

2 Likes

i can’t remember if i asked this before, but is there a full list anywhere of ps4/ps vita games that have asia-only english releases?

Is there no word on the yakuza series ever coming to pc. I just keep thinking I’m going to borrow my siblings ps4, pay the still expensive price for 0 and then the 1 and 2 remakes, all tied to a system that isn’t mine, and then it’s going to pop up on steam out of nowhere like bayonetta the next day

Same boat and this is the last news I saw on it.

I wonder if there’s a comarketing deal with Sony in the way tho

What was the SelectButt word on Oxenfree? It is 75% off on Switch for a couple more days and I was wondering if I should get that or Night in the Woods.

Has anyone used parsec for local multiplayer streaming?