Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

i enjoyed the GBA on that was on the cartridge with ff1, but it was also rebalanced and such to not be as silly hard as the original, I think.

wonderswan

are there any free to play or pay once MMOs that are maybe as pretty as final fantasy xii? i’m looking for something to waste time and get skinny to and i already got to the boring endgame parts of the secret world and dc universe online.

maybe i should wait until metal gear survive…

world of warcraft is too butt ugly

please just jump right into the barrel of filth and find any/all cool looking things in Tree of Savior and report back

don’t do this unless you have boundless amounts of nostalgia for Ragnarok Online

my 00s mmos of choice were flyff, manga fighter, and splashfighters. i never got to play ragnarok

I mean, if we’re getting technical, a Korean MMO is either an RO or Lineage ripoff, so odds might be good you could enjoy it

just liking RO gives you a leg up

1 Like

Guild Wars 2 has always been subscriptionless, and the base game went “free to play” which means, I assume, you don’t need to pay for the pre-expansion content unless you want extra benefits and character slots. While “as pretty as FFXII” is debatable, GW2 at least had a very deliberate and attractive aesthetic style, and if you’re going in now, you have the advantage of having no attachment to how the game worked at launch, which is one of the obstacles keeping me from playing. (The other main obstacle being that I don’t have a working computer.)

This pretty much applies to WildStar and Star Wars: The Old Republic as well, although those games did once have a subscription fee, and your mileage may vary with regards to each game’s look. I found WildStar pretty insufferable once I got tired of my character’s appearance.

1 Like

Is this enough money to fund 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand 2

5 Likes

Kingdom of Loathing is free, well-written and genuinely enjoyable

I haven’t touched it since I was 12 but I’m sure it’s still good

1 Like

SWTOR is only like 3% less ugly than WoW, and only because Star Wars is a fundamentally more attractive universe than 12 Year Old’s Composition Notebook

1 Like

Jesus

Fucking

Christ

Don’t play SWTOR

I would also tell you to not play WildStar but I don’t think it’s a multiplayer game anymore

For ya’ll who go to game conventions, what are the best/funnest ones for indie games?

GDC-adjacent spaces and Indiecade both seem good?? I think Boston FIG is also supposed to be quite good but I’m never in town during it

1 Like

Are there any Boston SBers? Also, @gary are you going/everbeen to PAX East?

1 Like

There are a few of us, notably diplo and 8128 and Mothra and OneSecondBefore and sleepysmiles (and me, that’s why I’m using collective pronouns). Yeah, 4 or 5 years running at this point. Are you showing there this year?

3 Likes

I went to PAX East last year and had a great time. Really I just wanted to spend the whole weekend in that one room where they set up tons of old consoles and let you rent games to play on them. Someone should open a bar on that model.

2 Likes

That doesn’t really align with the barcade model – their collection is usually full of games with bite-size length ideal to dip into for a minute or two in between socializing with friends.

The one thing I miss now that traditional arcades are pretty much dead is games with unusual controllers you could play for hours, like rhythm games and rail shooters. When I visited Seoul two years ago I spent a lot of time at a specialty rhythm arcade and I wish those existed outside of Asia.

1 Like

Good point. A library would be a better venue for this sort of thing. Wish we didn’t live under late capitalism!

1 Like

think you’re both reading too much into the implications there … in this city we have both bars that lend out board games (which is functionally the same thing if you’re splitting hairs about play session time) and libraries that lend out video games (which are pretty much treated identically to the DVD collection).

3 Likes