Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

You can do it but it depends on the emulator; specifically it has to be one that accepts input in the background (since only one window can have focus at a time).

One (infamous) night I rigged up my laptop to run five PS1 emulators at once and me and four friends did a blind 100% race of Spyro. The default input plugin for the emulator I was using didn’t accept input in the background, so I ended up having to steal one from a PS2 emulator (surprisingly they were compatible)! It would have been trivial at that point to make both instances of the emulator accept input from the same controller rather than different ones.

2 Likes

I know retroarch can do this.

Are there any fighting games which feature characters who fight with their psychic ability rather than physical attacks? (I’m thinking of people like Yanagi Ryuken.)

I would assume Psychic Force on PlayStation but perhaps not

1 Like

i was gonna say that but i don’t know if the fighters have to fight with psychic powers exclusively. because all the characters in the psychic force games have melee attacks at close range.

if it counts, there’s a necromancer character in asura blade who doesn’t fight herself, but summons skeletons to attack on her behalf

1 Like

um um um mewtwo maybe?? i dunno i forget how mewtwo works

maybe that’s not the kind of fighting game you’re talking about though too

1 Like

Is there a fighting game that doesn’t buffer blocking? I mean, is there a fighting game that makes you wait to press block until after your stun is over for it to register as a block?

there’s a lot of this in melty blood

1 Like

would anybody be interested if i wrote a thread about pinball games on handhelds or does that sound like a waste of time

13 Likes

I would read that thread.

2 Likes

only if the entire thread is about Revenge of the Gator

3 Likes

Is there another point of reference outside Laputa for the aesthetic of the floating ancient sky city? Noticing Sky Sancutary Sonic 3 and This Sky City in Magic Night Rayearth are near identical. Skies of Arcadia had a lot of this too.

I suspect that Laputa itself took a lot of inspiration from Miyazaki’s friend Moebius. It’s definitely a bit different, and the floating island thing seems to be new, but the castle itself would look right at home in a Moebius painting.

moebius-aka-jean-giraud-35-of-41

2 Likes

“Laputa” is the name of the sky city in Gulliver’s Travels*, and some of the original illustrations bear a surprisingly strong resemblance to the Miyazaki island.

Moebius also had at least one good flying island.

*As a side not, ‘la puta swift’ is not the search phrase that produces these illustrations.

14 Likes

laputa’s one of the great videogame aesthetic progenitors, along with hokuto no ken, jojo’s bizarre adventure, streets of fire, dragonball z, aliens, wrestling in genereal, game of death, etc etc

but for some reason it doesn’t seem to be as acknowledged as much as the others. maybe because it’s not about combat?

i think i made a thread about this concept once long ago, but if i did, i guess it was in the axe, since i can’t find it here or on the old board archive

4 Likes

the thing of ancient, moss-covered supremely advanced technology suddenly lurching to life after aeons of slumber definitely had a good run in the 90’s

5 Likes

Which is what I am looking for and none of the Mobius shown as that aesthetic. But as nothing is born of nothing felt like there was probably another point of reference.

Like the one in Rayearth and Sonic 3 are identical (hey Rudie they were both Sega games maybe that is the reason.). Yeah maybe. But from how these things usually go there is usually a more obscure reference from the 70s that you look at and go Oh yes that is it exactly.

I feel this will be equally unsatisfactory but i’m going to mention it anyway…

Cities and “vegetation on top of exposed rocks (sometimes floating)” are recurrent themes in the work of both Roger Dean and Rodney Matthews. I can’t find a decent floating city tho’ - it seems to be around the start of the 90s when Matthews’ “city on a hill” finally takes flight, becoming “Lavender Castle” towards the end of that decade (??).

2 Likes

I am have a very hard time seeing a strong similarity between Sonic’s Sky Sanctuary and MKR’s Sky Garden (Aueria? Aeuria?) other than…lush vegetation?
If there really is some other answer, it’s probably somewhere on TVTropes “Floating Continent” page.

man, remember the Sky Garden in Illusion of Gaia? that was a cute ‘double dungeon’ gimmick.
speaking of Quintet, I imagine the setting of Ys II made an impression on some gamers, and like the other entries in the series, a fair amount of it is open air ruin-crawling.

best version of final fantasy 2? psp?