Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

I’m looking into getting a PS Vita soon, does anyone here have one for sale with firmware at like, 3.60 or below, or know a good source for one that meets that condition? Nobody on eBay really seems to specify.

Is there a preferred .epub reader for Linux? The ones I’ve tried render about half the books I open as pixelized messes.

I use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/readium/fepbnnnkkadjhjahcafoaglimekefifl

it is in fact the only chrome app I still use now that signal-desktop is a standalone electron thing, so I hope they have a migration plan now that the platform is going away…

https://rschroll.github.io/beru/ was also OK at one point, it was – similarly uniquely – the only app written for ubuntu’s aborted phone APIs that actually offered something superior to what already existed on the regular desktop platform, but I think it’s in dependency hell now

1 Like

I hate it when apps are just better.

Readium works infinitely better than anything else and is fully usable, but it’s still not perfect. How are glorified html files so hard to handle?

I’m curious what kind of a reception Sonic Mania got in Japan, specifically whether its as widely regarded as a return to form (finally) as it is in other parts of the world.

1 Like

Sonic Mania’s reception in Japan was lukewarm. The only region where Sonic Mania launched at less than #1 on the Switch was Japan: http://www.tssznews.com/2017/08/16/sonic-mania-1-switch-best-seller-in-most-regions-6-in-japan/

Famitsu reviewed Sonic Forces at 9-9-8-8 and Sonic Mania at 8-8-8-8: http://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-review-scores-103117/

In this Eurogamer interview Shun Nakamura doesn’t explicitly break down by region, but says there are two non-intersecting fanbases and the Japanese team will develop its 3d games for one and the US team the 2d games for the other, also he has no theory for why Sonic Mania was more popular than Sonic 4, so the implications are pretty clear:

5 Likes

I hope he’s just professionally not answering because 4 was a disaster from ten miles away

Of course, mainstream press seemed bamboozled at review time by 4 also. Apparently they never pressed the jump button (tip: all buttons jump)

If I were to play Mass Effect Andromeda before playing Mass Effect 3 (I already played the first two) (don’t ask why) would it spoil any events from the third game or is it completely unrelated?

The generation ship launches before 3 so the characters don’t know how it turned out. Almost no references.

1 Like

Hey y’all how do you get stuff to build things in Mind Craft on the Amazon fire 7

Asking for my mom on behalf of my six year old niece

Do any web browsers have the ability to let you right-click a link and bookmark it, rather than actually having to open a tab etc? If not, is there a reason I’m unaware of that makes this difficult, or am I just some fringe case that obsessively collects bookmarked pages (yes).

wellllll the only web browsers that are really worth switching to on a lark for their featureset are opera and vivaldi (since they’re both chromium derivatives now and don’t have any major rendering differences) so you should just check out those two!

Opera does!

firefox does this

Vivaldi too

Is there any way to get Vivaldi tabs to not crash on any html5 video player? I always get a dead crow picture after a few seconds, along with other playback issues, and had to switch to another browser eventually.

all I can say is it’s not happening for me.

I switched to Vivaldi after Firefox gave me rendering corruption for 2 years on my laptop; but Vivaldi seems to run extremely slowly on a computer it shouldn’t. It’s fine on desktop.

Speaking of Andromeda, is it worth playing…at all? It’s dirt cheap and I did enjoy the first three but the impressions given around these parts were horrendous when it first came out

1 Like

Nothing redeeming in the first 3 hours I played. Horrifyingly stupidly written, bad combat, impossibly bad RPG progression, trite world concepts, art direction, and music

3 Likes

Ok! Money better spent on beer I reckon