Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

I have Downwell on my phone and it is indeed an awesome game. It drains my battery like a motherfucker, and I wish the phone controls were more precise than the touch screen button interface, but there’s not much you can do about that. It is super fun though.

Having not played spelunky for any amount of time, i can heartily recommend 20XX as the only roguelite that I (rogue) like.

1 Like

My favorite rogueish-type has consistently been Super House of Dead Ninjas, but it’s also a very fast-paced game, so I don’t know if it has quite the digestible quality that Spelunky has. Super fun, though.

1 Like

Super House of Dead Ninjas is like having someone repeatedly press the “castlevania” button directly on a brain, in a way that not even the original games can even tho its a diff type of platformer

1 Like

Maybe a dumb question but does anybody know off the top of their head what was the first vertical STG with vertical character movement?

Twinbee maybe?

1 Like

Space Odyssey and Vanguard (both 1981) have both vertical and horizontal segments. Xevious (1982) might be the first fully vertical one with 8-way controls.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m just in the mood for some classic shooting today and I wanna work up from the bottom

3 Likes

Can anyone think of a handful of games that were clearly meant to kick of franchises from any period of vidcon history that were killed due to either market or developer ambivalence

CANON

8 Likes

Don’t forget Too Human!

2 Likes

Even given everything rotten with that game and Silicon Knights, I’d still like to play PSX Too Human

toohum92

that looks like a screenshot of Kileak: the DNA Imperative by Genki

1 Like

And Codename Tenka

The PSX green/monospace/additively blending HUD was a good look on top of chunky textures

I wish the Kileak and Space Griffon VF-9 designers had played DooM and understood a bit more about where dungeon crawler map design didn’t make sense in a shooter context, but they’re otherwise nice damp spaces to clank around in.

1 Like

The sequel, Epidemic, was much better than Kileak. I’d recommend checking it out, I think it gets overlooked because Kileak was so abominable to play.

1 Like

Very nice, I’ll look into this.

1 Like

If I had a billion dollars I’d make a game with this title.

Also proof that this is the best collection of human beings on the planet: multiple posts about Genki’s KILEAK: THE DNA IMPERATIVE.

4 Likes

kileak the blood if you’re nasty

3 Likes

DDD: THE IMPERATIVE

1 Like

Spore