Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

i have $50k now :confused:

When Gox imploded I legged it to Bitstamp and they’ve been fine

I think a decent rule of thumb is that stuff like Bitcoin or individual stocks shouldn’t be more than 10% of your savings so unless you have 500K$ in life savings it sounds like a good time to rebalance out of most of it.

Of course, that could wind up being “terrible” advice if it keeps rising, but if FOMO wouldn’t be enough for you to buy 50K$ of bitcoin at current prices, then it also shouldn’t prevent you from selling.

Note that if you’ve held some of them for more than a year and you were planning to donate money, you should also do it out of Bitcoin instead of cash, that way you’ll avoid paying capital gains tax on the huge rise. Fidelity DAF accepts bitcoin.

1 Like

Thank you

Anyone recognise this game? It’s from some german show called Dark.

Commando?

Edit: I did some looking and I didn’t come up with anything.

which episode is this from?

The status bar across the bottom matches up with screenshots of Commando on the Commodore 64. If it’s a German show, it might be the German version of Commando called Space Invasion. The internet says some things were changed to get around the German restrictions on war stuff.

I’m fairly sure the machine shown is the revised C64C, and you can see the C-64 tape deck behind the computer.

4 Likes

Oh wow, that makes me feel pretty silly

So, I’ve dropped an unconscionable number of hours into Spelunky over the last several years. I feel I’m ready for another Spelunky-like. Some kind of fantastic roguelike that feels great to play, with just the right level of complexity to be tasty braincandy, but not enough that I have to constantly look stuff up or solve math problems in my head. Can anyone recommend a wonderful action roguelike to tide me over until Spelunky 2?

Edit: I liked Binding of Isaac but I’m tired of it and it’s not as good as Spelunky. Risk of Rain was fun but kind of shitty. Rogue Legacy is stupid and feels like garbage.

necrodancer

Oh yeah, I played that one too. It’s really good, but my problem is that I like to play games like that while listening to my own music. It’s a way for me to chill and get into music I’ve never heard before. So something like Necrodancer that requires sound isn’t compatible with my needs.

in that case galak-z is fun! it has pacing/structure issues but it’s definitely worth it if you haven’t tried it yet

Ah, excellent! I got that in a bundle and haven’t tried it yet. Is it roguelike-y?

yes, somewhat problematically!

Hmmm…

This will do.

Commando has some of the most iconic music on the C64 (with the NES music being somewhat anemic by comparison):

And the music was was written in one night.

5 Likes

If you’re looking for other platformers:

• Downwell - If you want something more twitchy/arcadey than Spelunky. Very combo-focused.
  • 20XX - If you like Megaman X but want a less well-designed but more replayable version of that.
  • Dead Cells - If you want something tangential to SoTN with discrete basically linear levels but very fluid movement and combat. Also hitches a bit in later areas on my computer but it’s early access so they’ll probably fix that eventually?

According to Steam I’ve played 18 hours of Downwell, 24 of 20XX, and 14 of Deadcells and I think they’re all good games.

4 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, my first guess was Rambo First Blood Part II

Nice!

I’ll endorse @Gate88’s recommendation of Downwell. I usually play a few games of it a week since diving into it about a year ago. The designer’s concept was kind of based on inverting Spelunky and you can see how that works. Apparently now the designer and Derek Yu are super tight friends or something. It’s a really good game.

I still play a couple hours of Spelunky every week though. I don’t know if I’m ever going to not at this point.

3 Likes