Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Hmm. I think you’d appreciate it down the line when the 1080’s starting to feel long in the tooth.

yeah, that’s a good point – part of having a 1440p gsync monitor is knowing that playing stuff at 720p30 on the same GPU I haven’t replaced 5 or 7 years from now will be a lot more tolerable than it might be otherwise

given that there are only a couple more process shrinks that are even technologically possible unless something significant changes, it’s possible that future proofing a current high-end GPU one or two more generations out will effectively be future-proofing it forever

(or at least for a very long time as it’s likely the next generation of consoles will be slightly weaker than a 1080)

I got a GTX 1070 and a 144hz G-sync monitor around the same time so I’ve always played at a high frame rates with g-sync on and I never really appreciated what it brought to the experience of playing at high but inconsistent framerates. Then I played Wolfenstein 2, which had a problem for the first few days that made g-sync not work on it, and I was re-introduced to screen tearing. It was unbearable.

Ultra Low Motion Blur is also super cool but that bumps the FPS down to 60 and I don’t think it works if I have a video playing on another monitor, which I usually do.

Well, y’all sold me. It sound fantastic and helped me settle on a monitor. Thanks!

It doesn’t involve anything in the way of facade or concealement so I wouldn’t say it “hides” framedrops. It’s more that conventional vsync vastly amplifies the harm of framedrops purely for historical CRT-related reasons, and the new approach refrains from being terrible. Variable refresh rate means small slippages in framerate are just that, small, and is the commonsensical way that LCDs should have worked all along (and would’ve if they had been developed first).

1 Like

Oh yeah, am I supposed to have vsync on or off with gsync? I’ve always kept it off.

Does anybody know if anyone makes Blu-Ray/PS4 game sized jewel cases? You know, the traditional thick-ish compact disc cases, but the size of a Blu-ray case? I want to repackage my PS4 games because the cases are so fucking cheap I’m surprised they don’t melt just being within 5 feet of somebody’s body heat. I did some searching, but only turned up traditional CD-sized cases. I’m trying to keep them visually distinctive from the other consoles, and I want to be able to fit the jacket art in it, if possible.

Leave vsync off. You’ll only run into trouble if frame rates go above maximum refresh (then you’ll get tearing again).

This sounds like whatever official implementation of strobing Nvidia did isn’t as good as the more hacky solution, seeing as I can do 120 hz strobed

Honestly, these days I stick to 144 hz because I’m too lazy to mess with the picture settings to offset the dimness introduced by turning the strobing effect on

I don’t understand why games are trying to push 4k and 144fps. Is that not comparable to 8x+ the geometry? And on the same line of thought, games could use higher resolution textures at that point, but don’t we really just want more different textures?

1440p and ~100hz is definitely a worthwhile upgrade, but yeah, beyond that, there are a lot of things that are easier to render and provide much greater visual advantages but don’t look good on a spec sheet

and targeting 4k30 ahead of anything 60 is dumb as hell

For many games 60 fps would be CPU-bottlenecked on the mid-gen refresh consoles.

no one is trying to push 4K and 144 hz, that’s kind of a sheer folly considering even the high end of cards can still struggle to max out some games at 4K60, be they console ports of AAA titles, PC exclusives or just poorly optimized games (or drivers, like how older Nvidia drivers would just fucking kill performance in Destiny 2 with depth of field on). up until Pascal launched in earnest, people were either targeting high-refresh rates at 1080p or 4K with as many bells and whistles as possible. with Pascal and now Vega, there’s a definite split among 1080p at ridiculously high refresh rates (240 hz), 1440p at 60+ (which is a good medium ground to be honest) and 4K60, which is realistic in a lot of games

there’s also like, 5 of us assholes who like to downsample stuff because buying a 300-500 dollar GPU is fine but buying a 4k monitor is too far

2 Likes

So, I had no success in finding Blu-ray sized jewel cases, but I did find that my primary issue (discs refusing to stay secure) can be resolved by buying Blu-ray cases that use a rosette-style hub rather than the so-called “push-button” hubs, which require less friction to remove the disc. I’m going to buy a few of these and see if they’ll keep discs in place better, as I read on a (super old) forum thread that Scanavo cases use hubs that require more effort to get the disc out (which is good). So, I guess we’ll see about that.

You can also get legit replacement PS3/4 cases there, as well, if you like your discs rattling around in their case.

1 Like

If I want to buy a little bit of bitcoin just in case it blows the fuck up, how do I do that?

If 10k per Bitcoin isn’t your definition of blown the fuck up I’d like to know what is!

I think she meant if it gets proportionately much higher at this stage

like, where once you would buy a few BTC, now you’d buy a hundreth of one

Ohhhh shut my mouth

as far as i understand it, you have to swap them for magic cards, only you can’t do it in japan anymore because it’s illegal to sell things 2nd hand.

coinbase is probably the easiest, though people have various concerns with them. kraken is supposed to be decent; i’ve never used them. bitstamp is good.