Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

I’d recommend it as well; it considers the sins of BioShock and tries to rectify them; there’s very interesting and mostly-successful approach the guilt-as-murdermachine game story. It doesn’t have the depth of world of the System Shocks and you would be well advised to ignore it when it asks you to retread ground for sidequests as this saps all fear and mystery out of the world. It’s too trapped in the cycle of 0451 games to truly solve their problems but we aren’t getting the oversimplification of ten years ago anymore and the density of the individual levels is admirable.

It will undoubtedly end the year containing my favorite ten hours of gameplay (in a 36-hour game).

4 Likes

I’m fairly seriously considering getting this for steamvr:

any thoughts?

I’m far enough from the indie scene at the moment that I don’t know how well inside-out tracking (not using the lighthouses) works or any difficulties running through Steam’s OpenVR and Microsoft’s VR API. Those places tend to tool up with new toys like this quickly.

Headset looks nice enough; look for the field-of-view spec but know that the Vive is supposed to be the least comfortable headset around and the wands I have are a step behind (modern ones track finger position without buttons like these do).

Besides the short single player campaign it is very community dependant. Pretty sure nobody plays it anymore either, at least on the euro server.

1 Like

thanks!

supposed to be one of the more comfortable/lighter ones, good price on sale, good FOV

Holy shit a 36 hour fps in 2017?

I have a full collection of SNES ROMs btw, if you ever need any. I of course acquired them all completely legally by purchasing every possible variation of every SNES game and dumping them myself.

2 Likes

a) I’m very slow and methodical; my 36 hours translates to a 12-hour Felix run
b) Same subgenre as System Shock and Deus Ex, so the core gameplay loops include dense exploration, reading logs, occasional shooting.

I would (I only kind of doodle sketch) like to try some low poly model and texturing where do I go

who am I

My VR dev friends have stated that Windows MR is a good deal and convenient but the tracking is notably inferior to Vive. The screens, however, are better.

Also: might be worth paying up for the Samsung with the OLED screen for less smear.

OK, that’s enough for me. it’s a lot cheaper & less setup overhead & I vastly prefer the PSVR ergonomics; I got the cheapest one because it seemed relatively well-reviewed and the samsung was the most expensive which made it a lot less attractive.

Is that Arkanoid vs Space Invaders mobile game worth playing?

1 Like

@Mr_Mechanical and @scross both played it - you can look up what they thought by searching for ‘arkanoid’. The former mainly complained about the inadequacy of the controls, the latter said the music alone was worth the price of admission.

gaming.moe wrote several insightful articles about it’s evolution from F2P to cash upfront.

1 Like

If I’m buying a new monitor, does having Gsync make a noticeable difference? Does it make $150 difference?

if you’re already spending > $300, it’s pretty worth it.

Well, I’m looking at one that ticks all the boxes besides GSYNC for about $200, so it’s almost doubling the price. I’m not exactly loaded with money at the moment, so I’m looking at the lower end.

What GPU, resolution, and refresh rate are you looking for? GSYNC is handy for smoothing out dips when you’re pushing it (high refresh, 1440p), but not that useful if you’re keeping steady otherwise (60hz, 1080p).

High refresh rate is very nice.

I’m definately going 144hz, for sure. I recently upgraded my Graphics card to a slightly lower end GTX1080, and I really want to take advantage of it.

That said I’m not interested in 4K at all.

I really dislike tearing, and having GSYNC has made a huge difference in enjoyment as I no longer waste any anxiety cycles wondering if v-sync is properly engaged or if I’m getting stuttering or whatnot. It’s painless and extremely effective at hiding frame drops.

Price the benefit to yourself based on how much you’d pay to never worry about tearing or v-sync again and only group framerates in clusters of, ‘40-60’, ‘60-80’, ‘very fast’, as those become the only perceptible groups.

By the way, there’s a special class of games that run in ‘very fast’ framerates and feel magical. DOOM (2016) is peppy and constant and visually dense and feels great like this. Anything with movement trails and much momentum is also excellent; I was shocked how much better Galak-Z became at very high framerates.

1 Like