Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

hello it is I

RE 1 - Directors Cut / Deadly Silence can be worth it if you wanna take a look at Where it All Started but what i’ll say is its generally kind of a myth that resident evil started being more of an action series only with 4. the series slowly escalated and introduced more player familiar and action game mechanics as time went on - starting with the fact that you can kill every zombie in 2 and have tons of ammo left

if I had to suggest an order, it would be placing RE:Make first or last knowing that if you place it first it may sour you on some of the others, but if you place it last you’re gonna feel weird going into it after 2/3/Code Veronica that have things like dodge mechanics and weirdo targeting systems and quick turn and things

RE 2
Code Veronica X
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
RE0 is kind of optional love it or hate it

also fuckin play Resident Evil gaiden on the Gameboy, its low key good

ps I think code veronica x is great and you should definitely include it

1 Like

I am definitely playing it last then. i like playing through a series and seeing it explore weird mechanics on the way (even/especially if it drops them later).

Ive considered Code Veronica as well. they’re doing all RE games this month on a podcast i like, WOFF and that’s one of them.

Im also intending to play at least the first 4 Silent Hills at some point and would happily solicit suggestions on that front as well, and any other good survival horror of or adjacent to that style.

Serious answer: RE1 is absolutely worth playing through if you’re looking for a tank-controlled graphic adventure. “Survival horror” as a concept essentially lived and died with the first game, with subsequent releases showering you with ammunition and (as Glam has said), adding gimmicky dodge mechanics and dual-wielding-gun-toting action.

1 Like

besides emulation there’s not really a practical way to play the silent hill series. from what people have said here and elsewhere the SH HD collection fucks up a lot of things in the first two games. a copy of 3 on the PS2 shouldn’t run you too much though, and if you side with A.V. clubs narrative that heather is trans it makes her one of the best silent hill protagonists

I might suggest martian gothic on the PS1 for the weirdo pov switchin thing and you may as well be interested into maybe giving some of the RE clones a shot. some people really like the Obscure games (there are two of them) which are kind of like RE by way of Highschool Horror movies from the 90’s

U ALSO MAY LIKE:

babysitter bloodbath, a free game you can watch lps of on youtube styled after psx adventure games

sadly though this style of game seems to be all but abandoned when developers started seeking out the whole angle of games-as-experiences that anyone can play with always player friendly mechanics

1 Like

Definitely play the original RE before ReMake, since the latter is very good at subverting expectations of those who have experienced the original. Also, while REmake has gorgeous gothic atmosphere, RE1 feels pretty unique with its strong use of colors, sort of Eurohorror vibe if you know what I mean

2 Likes

Why would Heather be trans and how would it improve her character at all

Also she is the best series protagonist anyway

1 Like

yeah she is!

dangit, I think I wanna say it was a cara Ellison article i read it in and loved her take but now i cant find it anywhere and the av club article is something different

I mean silent Hill 1-4 is way better than RE 1-CV.

Play RE-make first and maybe only! And definitely put on racing game acceleration. It makes the tank controls work! You use one of the triggers to go forward. It solves so many problems with the game.

This may be a “just me” deal as I’ve always been prone to making baffling decisions in certain games that complicate things dramatically, but you can run into profound issues with ammo in the original Resident Evil if you are not careful and/or are me. I haven’t picked it up in well over a decade, but across multiple attempts at the game (two of which I’d consider truly serious) I ended up being unable to make any forward progress due to running out of bullets. In retrospect the first time I possibly could have buckled down and maybe gotten by via running and knifing, but the second time involved being surrounded by newly introduced harsher enemies that was likely a legit “no possible win” situation.

So yeah, if you play the original be careful to… I guess not shoot things?

1 Like

OK, i think i’m going to start with RE1 classic. There’s enough historical interest in it for me to go after it.

Final question: if i could figure out how to stream, would anyone be interested in watching me stumble blindly through classic survival horror games??

edit: Oh and i guess any general tips/tricks/lol.

Avoiding unnecessary combat is a key aspect of RE1. Everything is a consummate resource, even saving the game – finding out how to ration them is the flavor of the game. Understandably it can be hard to approach.

I played RE1 for the first time 4-5 years ago, and I really loved it. Maybe I’m just weird.

it’s not the analog stick version of the directors cut that has terrible new music is it

I just want to say, when I first read this sentence, I was really confused, and even kind of upset. I felt that the idea that Heather is trans not only ran against common consensus about the game and character, but directly contradicted inarguable details laid out in the story. Saying that this almost inherently contrarian reading of SH3 made her “one of the best” protagonists of the series seemed absurd, especially given how interesting and nuanced she already is.

But I’ve grown and matured at least some small amount in the past few years, in part due to SB, and I’ve come to realize how silly it is to react so strongly just because a perspective on media is so foreign to me. Even if I find someone’s viewpoint ridiculous, it doesn’t benefit me to show hostility and reject what they’re saying. If I want to engage, it’s so much better to inform myself first and consider how they came to their feelings. If I don’t want to engage, then live and let live. There’s no reason to immediately turn this kind of difference into an argument.

what the FUCK

3 Likes

Sounds like the theory that James is a closeted homosexual because he was hiding from Pyramid Head in the closet.

But uh, I guess whatever people want to read into the works.

Which version of the original Mother should I play? I’ve never played it before.

I sat down with the “Earthbound Zero” NES ROM a looooong time ago and enjoyed it, though I felt the full force of MT. ITOI and as such have no desire to go back to it.

Most people seem to recommend the GBA version (MOTHER 1+2) as it has an easier difficulty setting. I think there’s a difficulty patch for the EBZ ROM, too.

http://mother12.earthboundcentral.com/

2 Likes

if i’m in the mood to play a mystery-ish vn, which would be a better use of my time: playing phoenix wright or playing danganronpa

FIRST RESPONSE DECIDES MY FATE

My playthrough of Phoenix Wright vs Layton kinda stalled out (I understand this game isn’t necessarily the best representation of either franchise, but I only have so many hours on this mortal coil so I figured I’d kill two birds with one stone).

Play Danganronpa (i’ve never played it)