Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

The only libretro core I wanted was in fact Mednafen PSX – straight Mednafen still doesn’t have higher internal resolution, does it?

You should try what this guy said.

nope, still doesn’t. you do in fact need retroarch for mednafen PSX with internal upscaling.

Legit: I’m curious how my game looks to ya’ll right now. This is a pretty close version to what I think is “final”. I have tweaked it a little bit since this video, but I’m getting close a very important plateau in development and I wanna know what people think. The game is maybe only halfway done, but I want to release a limited amount of keys to the people who’ve seen me at conventions and really want something to now. I have a release strategy that I think is going to be pretty cool, but that’s not for this post in particular. What I want to know is - does The Moon Fields’ multiplayer look the part to be “the indie arena fighting game not fighting game” thing or nah?

4 Likes

That screen-shake is brutal, especially at the start with all the players still in.

2 Likes

RE Libretro frontends I’m keeping my eye on Minir: https://github.com/Alcaro/minir

‘Cause it just looks like a regular ol’ emulator.

2 Likes

huge

After enjoying the hell out of Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami, should I bust out my PS2 to play Yakuza 2 next or just watch a story explainer and move onto the PS3 Yakuza games? I’ve heard the PS2 games are pretty primitive w/r/t gameplay.

hold on for yakuza kiwami 2 i guess

Yeah basically. Would say that Yakuza 2 is the throw back and 3 is going to feel more dated and slow because of all the tiny tiny advancements made to Zero.

I do hope the OpenEmu devs eventually cave on supporting libretro cores, since they’ve made some massive strides in the past year to the point where they’re the best or nearly the best option on many platforms now: https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/issues/3045

i’m afraid i don’t understand the question (but i’m not into fighting games, nor do i know much about indie games). are you talking just about the graphics or … ?

graphics-wise, it looks great! i don’t like the tree level as much as the dungeon one - i don’t like the way the ground looks or its colour, also the playfield lacks an obvious boundary. i think title screen could be better.

i’ve gotten pretty good at halo 5. i make it to onyx rank when i put work in on playing ranked playlists (which is like 90th+ percentile). however, life is stressful enough that i don’t play ranked anymore so i just play a lot of big team battle. and big team battle is fun – i like the bigger maps, i like having vehicles in the mix, and i like that there’s less pressure on me as an individual so i can either go hard or play like a goof and it doesn’t matter either way.

the big team battle playlist in halo 5 is lacking, though, and i really want a change of pace. i was thinking about trying to get into the battlefield games, which are, from what little i know of them, basically…big big team battle, always? with lots of vehicles and neat maps and not a lot of pressure on each individual player?

so, yeah. idk. is battlefield the move? is what i imagine battlefield to be somewhat close to what it actually is?

1 Like

Yeah, just hold out for Yakuza 2 Kiwami. Going back to the forced random encounters (as in you don’t see enemies in the field, you just encounter them randomly like an old RPG) would be very hard if all you had played was 0 and Kiwami. 2 kinda fuckin’ rules, but just wait for the Kiwami version (which will be easier for them to make, as most of the environment in 2 will just be based on the 0 environments, as 0 took place in the same areas as 2.

Yeah battlefield is at it’s best just dping your own thing and then being surprised at the end that you won or lost.

Thanks for the response. I guess I was a little manic when I posted it, so I should be more clear on what I’m going for:

1. I want to know my game can stand up to its indie competition aesthetically - that means does it look as good as other indie multiplayer games Towerfall, Lethal League, Samurai Gunn, BroForce? Does it look as good as other indie zelda-y type games like TUNIC, Below, Crawl? Other indie standouts Stardew, 20XX, Spelunky? Obviously it won’t stand toe to toe against all of these, but I’m wondering if I’m in the same league or if I should push it up.

2. Does the concept of competitive Zelda stand out as both unique and intriguing? Does the action look compelling? Eventually I want to have some Twitch streaming action, and that’s a pathway for people to get into it. Why or why not? What would help it work better? Are there things you are confused about and want to know more? Do you think less chaos would illluminate more things you’d be interested in?

I have the 3rd one coming in the mail and the 4th sitting on my PS3, so I guess I can be your canary in the coal mine and report back in a couple of months to say whether marathoning these games is a good idea or not

1 Like

let me preface this by saying that i’m impressed by the work you’ve put into this and it’s been great watching it come together over time. i hope you keep it up because you’ll get there! this is all meant as constructive critique, from one artist to another. the notes are written in the order they came to me and are not edited for clarity or readability – sorry.

1 - the game looks pretty amateurish. in the first arena, the lighting effects are way overdone, and the negative/positive space isn’t actually that interesting; it just results in a very flat look. the second arena has a lot of weird visual noise, eg the clumps of grass against the stark flat ground. in general there’s an overuse of glow effects etc. there’s also an inconsistent level of pixelization and detail in the game overall – compare the look of the tops of the trees, to the typeface, to the characters. why are the dash and smash lines perfectly straight and not pixelized? why is the smoke smooth? and so on. again in the second arena, the one-point lighting is bad too look at. i appreciate a lot of the little details like the footsteps in the dungeon, etc. but then there are other moments like when the hearts disappear that are jarringly instant; maybe shrink them out or something? there’s also something off about the visual hierarchy of the scenes – the characters don’t pop. look at how eg towerfall puts a little glow around each player or how nidhogg 2 projects a slight dropshadow from each fencer directly onto the backdrop. but it’s also about color choices and shapes and detail.

2 – it looks ok but kind of fidgety and repetitive? in terms of animation, a lot of it is slidey and smooth and that’s over-compensated for in terms of hitpause and screenshake to try to make it feel impactful.

2 Likes

Is there a driver I can install to get my PS4 controller to work with GTAV for PC, or do I absolutely have to install some shady input mapper program?

Have u tried to use it? It sounds like it just works