Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Grinding for grenade kills with your cheating wife in Cape Cod

4 Likes

i can’t seem to find a new Dualshock 3 for sale.

does anyone have recommendations for 3rd party controllers?

You could join the Cheevos family in FFXIV as that was my character’s in game last name.

1 Like

Do you need wireless and the PS button? If not, just plug in a DS4.

Will a ds4 work on a ps3?

Asking for a friend

only things that don’t work are the PS button (so no XMB) and tilt control support. otherwise it is a fully functional controller with the same mappings and look, Shu tweeted about it when the PS4 is launching and Shu wouldn’t lie to us, would he

both those things would be nice

feel like i’m probably going to have to take my chances with 2nd hand DS3s

Aliexpress has third-party DS3s, if you’d rather take that risk. They also come in incredibly hideous paintjobs

which is cool.

4 Likes

Dammmmnnnnnn

speaking of modern controllers, I just saw this ad

what does “fully loaded” mean? Loaded with what? Accessories?

It comes with the battery charged

2 Likes

Scuf is an outfit that takes a plain controller and adds a bunch of crap to it, giving them extra goodies like programmable rear paddles, adjustable triggers/hair triggers, custom analog pads and the like

if this sounds familiar, it’s because that’s what an Xbox Elite controller is, except in aftermarket form (ignoring the fact that MS licensed patents from Scuf for the Elite) and for other systems

2 Likes

Nintendo Power once had a contest where you could “design” a Game Boy and a winning entry would actually get a custom GB with their artwork on it. I’m pretty sure one of the entries looked exactly like this.

What’s the libretro frontend to use if Retroarch makes me want to punch a baby?

1 Like

cmd.exe

why not just use individual emulators and frontends for the ones that need them? i’ve never understood the point of things like retroarch and hyperspin and so on, they just seem to be a huge extra layer of obfuscation and things to go wrong

individual emulators and frontends are almost universally worse at emulation than retroarch at this point in time!

(retroarch is almost nothing like hyperspin btw, I don’t know where you would get that comparison. It’s more like mame or mednafen, only at this point it contains an enhanced superset of everything mednafen had)

1 Like

Not really the same thing. Hyperspin is a launcher, RetroArch isn’t just a frontend - it’s a platform and it handles things like audio/visual sync, input registering, etc. I use a launcher to play games on my emulation machine, AdvanceMenu - it is work to setup and maintain, there are benefits (how are you supposed to make sense of, organize, browse tens of thousands of titles?).

Retroarch gets flack, deservedly so, for making its desktop UI a 10-foot controller interface. You can just run it from the command line, though, to expand on the sassy reply; if you’re not down with the XMB.

On Mac there’s OpenEmu, and there’s a PC dude who’s started building a Windows 10 style libretro implementation but it needs its own compile targets and is in initial stages.

This day and age there are benefits to running a RetroArch core vs. the standalone emulator. It is a pain getting standalone Higan to work and sync flawlessly, Mednafen Saturn has higher input lag standalone (though the Retroarch core is still apparently the worst of the available cores, atm), etc.

1 Like

I use Launchbox

1 Like

on Mac, OpenEmu. on Linux, you can use Mednafen + Mednaffe for just the upstream Mednafen cores, and standalone emulators for the rest (and since these are available from the package manager it’s a little less dumb than finagling standalone emulators on other platforms). On Windows, get used to Retroarch, it really is the best option these days. I hate the UX too.