Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

I mean… I enjoyed the Galaxy games a good deal. I also enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine. A bit ambivalent towards 64. Prefer World over 3.

What I’m saying is that I’m a monster.

2 Likes

I was reading about the (most recent) Battle of Mosul, and saw someone mention the Battle of Stalingrad, and now I’m wondering about games which attempt to simulate these kind of intense, long-term, extremely complicated engagements. Particularly allowing micromanagement on the level of individual soldier control, like X-com and other tactical squad games, while also featuring higher level strategy elements that directly affect and shape the world…all taking place in a single city/region over a long period of tmie. It doesn’t have to be a real or even reality-based conflict, as long as it’s deeper and more involved than you could comfortably play out with physical board games.

I guess Jagged Alliance is kind of like this? I really have only a passing familiarity with this genre, whether classics or obscurities. So I’d appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I don’t know if Hearts of Iron does this exactly as it was always beyond my understanding, but maybe that?

Jagged Alliance is probably closest. It’s an XComalike, a tactical combat game with a (quite complex) strategy layer, and instead of having procedurally generated maps for missions it has a map made of grid squares, each of which is always the same. I think. And I think you can return to them multiple times. I think. It’s been a long time. I think that covers all the things you listed?

yeah, the biggest problem with jagged alliance is that it came out at the worst time in history for PC graphics and UI design, and all of the attempts to remake it have been really poor

1 Like

What’s the consensus about Eternal Ring? Seems like Kingsfield gets more love around these parts despite having more problems?

word on the grapevine is that eternal ring is much less challenging and that the ring system is a pain

i own eternal ring and all the kf games, but have yet to play through them – will edit this post with a HOT TAKE after i’m done working through them probably next year lol :fire: :fire: :fire:

Eternal Ring isn’t as moody as King’s Field, either. More NPCs, sunnier, more colorful.

1 Like

I am now Quake Obsessed please link me articles about Quake.

You’re seriously just now playing Quake for the first time? Kind of jealous, actually.

1 Like

try some quakeworld
it’s like super turbo in that nothing in the genre since has come close for me

1 Like

Are Divine Divinity or Beyond Divinity worth the time given that they’re under a buck?

The first one is for sure. I haven’t actually gotten around to playing the second

does anyone know how complete the 1996 JP-only gameboy shiren was compared to the SNES version?

I can’t find much information other than “it’s pretty darn similar” (it’s never been translated) which makes me think about how great it would’ve been if the old brick gameboy had gotten such a solid roguelike in english

well, they are actually different games (although the Win32 remake does take a fair amount of graphics from the SNES original). It has a different and more minimal structure, but it still scratches the same basic itches. You only get a single companion (either a dog who is a decent attacker or a chicken who lays eggs with random beneficial effects, or additionally a cat in the remake) and I don’t believe there is as much item/monster interplay or cute little NPC sidequests. The revised controls are easy to adjust to and the presentation is solid, although obviously not as refined as GB2 (which was remade as DS2). It has a set of Fei puzzles but separate from the main game. It’s pretty cool overall.

Apparently, I played on the easy difficulty, because I couldn’t get any farther than a certain point (although the dungeon exploration is actually a round trip). I’ll have to revisit it soon. That also explains why it gave me little tutorial explanations now and then.

there’s apparently also a remake for Android…
but of course, it will be discontinued on July 30th.

Run these through Google translate or something:
https://www26.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/pages/1958.html
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/不思議のダンジョン_風来のシレンGB_月影村の怪物
http://outdoor.geocities.jp/twnfh640/sirengb1.top.html (guide)

All of those list differences, although this page specifically covers a few:
http://outdoor.geocities.jp/twnfh640/sirengb1.knowledge1.html

1 Like

Late Shift looks cool! But maybe I am all for the modern FMV game! Has anyone “played” it?

watch me stream custom quake levels the next time I do that, I talk a lot about the game’s design while playing

Anyone here play dragon age Inquisition? I remember DAO being like a bad version of FFXII and now that FFXII remaster is out I’m curious if DAI compares at all? @Felix?

inquisition is horrendous

DAO is actually still kinda playable with enough mods if you don’t have high expectations, “a bad version of FFXII” isn’t far off (it has far fewer highs and almost no actual art design but the writing is almost inspired at times and there aren’t nearly as many broken/extraneous design decisions), but inquisition is like, the crappiest mix of realtime and scripted combat imaginable with the worst ubisoft objective vomit map busywork and lame power fantasy narrative.

even the level design in inquisition is insane and bad-surreal, it’s simultaneously too big and too small in order to pack everything in there. comparing it to witcher 3 in terms of scope/world is an utter embarrassment.

if you want to play a recent party RPG get dragonfall or original sin instead and do not look back

1 Like

what do you think the total tonnage of amphetamines consumed by confederation pilots during the kilrathi war amounted to?

4 Likes