Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

does anybody have any clue why for the max payne 1 widescreen hack, after playing for a little the camera movement skips around when you try to move it. max payne 2 uses the same hack but it works fine on that one. it’s a dll file you just drop in the folder. I can’t seem to find anyone else having the problem through google.

Whats the best Famiclone type hardware?

When I had a bunch I liked my Microgenius the most.

How long has Gamestomp trying to coerce people into signing up for mailing lists that will alert them when there is an announcement about when it will be possible to place pre-orders for certain things

because that is just

I’m looking for Zelda like games on PC/PS4/PS3 (so PS1/2 games on PSN work, too). I’m thinking I’m gonna get Hyperlight Drifter, but I don’t know if I should go PS4 or PC. Also, are the Ys games much like Zelda? There are a few on Steam, but I don’t know which one would be best for me — looking for open world with good combat.

The only Ys I played (Felghana) is linear and grindy. Its combat is very fast and floaty, it has no puzzles and the bosses are serious skill+level gates. Some better points of comparison for Ys would be Secret of Mana or Crystalis rather than Zelda.

Dunno if Zelda 2 counts as a Zelda for your purposes but I really enjoyed Eliot Quest which seems inspired by it, but with a more open world with beef gates as well.

For Hyper Light Drifter, if you get it for PC you’ll want to use a gamepad anyway, thumbstick is almost essential. Beyond that PC/PS4 versions are identical.

Ys I+II is probably the most (but still not really) zelda-like, the pc-engine version is the best

1 Like

@anothergod be my Guinea pig and play Blossom Tales and tell me if it’s good, ok

1 Like

Alundra is fun. Combat is average at best.

I thought felghana was really dull, I gave up after a few hours. The bosses were great though.

Are there any Zelda types with good combat (outside of souls games)?

cute Zeldo-like for ps3 I think needs some more love

2 Likes

Published by From as well, so there are a lot of funny little refs in their to their games, including a character model to let you be the president’s mech from Metal Wolf Chaos. Also the character editor alone made for some fun shit when I played through it.

1 Like

Hyper Light is successful at tackling this. Link Between Worlds has the best-feeling combat of any true Zelda by virtue of being so smooth and fast. 3D Dot Game Heroes isn’t very good but the combat is the best part and it has a nice hit-pause.

Most of the Zelda-likes add complexity but to mixed results when dealing with limited sprite animation; Quintet’s Terranigma feels ok but it’s the best of their lot.

I’m not familiar with anything more modern that is good enough; mid-budget 3D top-down games tend to feel airless and like nothing connects; I don’t know enough about micro-budget steam but I imagine there’s some good stuff there.

It only kinda counts as “on PC” and you’ve probably played it, but Crusader of Centy on Genesis is broadly LttP-ish and has cute animal friends.

You can learn some things from titan souls. Mostly what not to do again.

Neutopia 1-2 are on PS3.

Yeah get ys book 1 and 2 PCECD version somehow.

Nothing is as friction-y as LttP though.

1 Like

I actually liked titan souls a lot

Is this like when I liked everyday shooter a lot more than everyone else? Narrow, minimal design, lots of discrete mechanics and visuals that aren’t reused, punishing but very learnable

1 Like

I would have liked Titan Souls a lot more had it not insisted on the boring hub and just marched me straight from boss to boss.

2 Likes

Colossus can get away with it because looking at Colossus is great.

I got to one boss that took me what I determined was Too Many Tries and then I was too lazy to traverse the hub to try other bosses and I never played it again.

1 Like

I even like the hub