Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

I sincerely aspire to have a living room that an external hard drive would fuck up.

4 Likes

Personally I’m the kind of guy who’s entirely done with spinning disks and low-DPI displays. I’ve removed them from my life and I’m not planning to use a thing with either one of those again. I see this as part of the tradeoff of 2017, where there is Trump and also pleasantly non-shoddy technology as opium of the people.

2 Likes

I mean, I’m not running a spinning disk as a boot drive in any of my work machines, I’m not a pervert

1 Like

but 4k projectors are seemingly never going to get cheap and I really don’t want to replace my beloved old 720p projector with a huge garish TV just because the DPI is now extremely low

and it’s not like the incredible DPI support of Windows 10 and Arch Linux are going to let me forget who am I deep down

I just switched out last month my work desktop monitor to high-DPI (finally certified for procurement after like 4 years of evaluation), driving a final stake in the lo-dpi in my life. It’s Ubuntu with i3, but practically all I use is Chrome and terminals. So I start Chrome with --force-device-scale-factor=1.5 and press Ctrl-Shift-+ a bunch of times on new terminals. Works great

yeah, my notebook of the past three years is ~200 DPI and works pretty well under bleeding-edge Arch/Gnome; there was a fair amount of tweaking at first (there’s an integer scaling setting that makes everything way too huge, so instead you set the fonts and associated window system elements to a 1.25 factor and 13 point by default, except you still have to change non-Gtk apps on a somewhat individual basis; chrome’s image scaling was really bad at higher DPIs when last I checked so instead I force the browser to force-device-scale=1 and have it default to 125% zoom, and I think I was able to set a single ~/.config file for all Qt apps, and you get the point, but I’m making this parenthetical aside idiotically long for a reason)

my desktop is just 1440p 27" which isn’t technically HiDPI (since it’s still closer to 100 than 200) but for a Windows machine I actually find that less troublesome than trying to actually use the scaling, because the scaling is bad

No point to this anymore because Chrome reimplemented device-scale to use the same underlying scaling as 125% zoom, see 485650 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail. You should use device-scale-factor to have a reasonably sized URL-bar and tab strip, the web content area scaling should look identical now.

May 7 2015: “Required work should be relatively small.” lol

2 Likes

love when a tech thread turns into “I should’ve kept a better eye on that chrome bug”

here’s the one I commented on, was curious whether it’d gotten pulled into that big thread: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=490964

now enable vaapi upstream for linux builds so one jerk from gentoo doesn’t have to keep maintaining five-line patches to fake platform=chromeos that break every two versions

also can you seriously not set your terminals to default to a higher font size

what are all these tiling window managers even doing

1 Like

why don’t you just install a new drive in the PS4 then?

seems like a waste of a 500gb drive

Yeah I have a hybrid drive and it is big and fast and great and p cheap too. Probably the best use for a hybrid drive tbh

Is it coincidental that Sonic (Oklahoma-based fast food chain) and Sonic (videogame hedgehog) both feature chili dogs?

2 Likes

I’m going to answer without doing any research to back up my claim and say yes, but who knows maybe a writer on the show really loved some Sonic chili dogs

It seems like a pretty clear attempt to give Sonic a signature food like Garfield has lasagna and the Ninja Turtles had pizza. Given that it was dreamed up by the people at DIC, who I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if it came out of a silly joke suggestion in the writers’ room inspired by the chain.

TBH, it worked at least a little. Sonic was the first place I ever heard of chili dogs and I think of Sonic whenever I see a chili dog.

i’m woefully ignorant about this but who do you go to for hi-dpi displays outside of the mac zone

my cintiq is only 2k and i’m sad i’m going to have to live with lo-dpi for like the next ten years (don’t ever buy one, I’m not going to again)

most monitor reviews on arch-nerd tech sites are pretty good, I find; I am a bit surprised that Apple’s pulled out of the high-end display game (or at least decided to endorse the worst available product https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/apple-lg-5k-display-issues/) because now people actually have to read those

my 1440p GSync screen is a dell because they’re the only ones whose product line didn’t scream “work will never reimburse this,” and while dell hardware has been very good for the past few years, I don’t think they’re necessarily the absolute best of the bunch for displays.

I have a Dell that’s 1440p on a 24" and it’s quite nice. Very thin bezel, good color. The “UltraSharp” line has really nice IPS panels.

yeah apple getting out of displays and especially routers is a shame
i’ll also vouch for dell displays, haven’t used much else since the 2007wfp days