Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Yak 4 is fine yes! Much better than 5!

Kingdom Hearts has some stuff going for it. Metal Gear Solid 4 is a game funeral. It is negative entertainment.

2 Likes

anybody know how picky the PS4 is about using a 256gb USB stick as an external drive? I don’t really want to get a hard drive since I’m afraid it’d look tacky plugged into the front, but I know the console has a hard minimum limit of 250gb for external drives and I don’t want to get nailed by formatting space.

The most recent update added support for external drives of up to 8TB so you’re probably okay.

no but it has a minimum! I know because I tried to format a 64gb stick on a lark

I don’t know just roll the dice then I guess.

So what’s the current hotness for PC controllers? I’ve been getting by very well on a Horipad EX2 Turbo but the wire seems to be reaching towards the trash. If I hold a certain way it likes to disconnect and reconnect when back in a favorable position. One option is to go find a 360 wired controller and cannibalize it’s cord and hope its compatible. (I’m not afraid of soldering, I get paid to do it sometimes).

After a quick look I’m liking the look of the Hori FPS Plus for ps4 but it doesn’t have a PC/xinput mode so I’d have to get a wrapper like ds4windows or finagle with the steam driver in big picture mode.

How have the XBONE controllers fared? I’ve already got a dedicated fightman and strict 2D controller in the fighting commander 3 so long as the dpad is serviceable it would suit me fine.

I actually like the Xbone controller a lot since I gave it a second chance. It feels like… an improved 360 pad! With a not-awful (but probably still not fighting game-grade) d-pad, even!

I also like the xbone controller a lot. The plastic is held together with lots of fins so there’s very little flex. It’s very evenly weighted. The triggers feel like nice digital piano keys.

The bumpers are a little difficult to press frequently, in eg Nier, but they work well for the occasional ability or item.

get an off brand 360 pad + a buffalo USB snes pad (+ a fightstick)

3 Likes

I don’t love the xbone face buttons, but it’s a nice excuse to finally use Bluetooth hardware on windows without the experience being total shit

DS4 and Bonetroller both work fine. Make sure you get the Bluetooth version of the Bonetroller bc that’s really just nice the earlier version doesn’t have Bluetooth

i heard that because the actual formatted space is lower than 256gb, using a stick that size might not work? not that i’ve tried it. if you’ve got one sitting around though give it a shot?

I’m waiting (for not-a-good-enough-reason when I could just an external drive) until the current 128gb USB form factors (eg https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=128gb+usb) are available for 256gb, because I’m determined to make something that goes in the front USB ports as unobtrusive as possible

then I will finally buy one of these things and the PS4 will tell me it can’t use it

Your loading times will be shit though. You should just get a proper SSD.

I know I know

except I figure it’ll probably clear the 100-120MB/s threshold of the internal spinning drive so it shouldn’t actually be any worse??

I expect it will be worse than a spinning disk. Those things are optimizing for physical size, GB capacity and price. They are more than happy to throw transfer speed to the wolves because nobody is making their purchase decision based on that. Cheap phone flash memory is slower than spinning disk, and I expect these to be similar.

but the BENCHMARKS

1 Like

short version is it varies hilariously on a game by game basis

you would probably be best off getting one of those hybrid SSHD drives

I’m really not the kind of guy who needs game assets loaded off of an SSD, I just want to supplement the existing drive without fucking up my living room