Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

As long as it’s Sega/SLS-branded, you should be fine. Some of my Saturn pads have lost a bit of their springback, but they’re as responsive as ever.

On the flip side, the membranes in my USB Saturn pads have started to tear, and the B button on one doesn’t spring back at all, which sucks. I have no idea if replacements are available anywhere. I’ve seen Mega Drive six button kits around, perhaps they might work in a pinch.

Speaking of Saturn; I don’t have one, but I’ve been considering buying one. The only thing holding me back is seeing how expensive the games are. Considering I don’t have any nostalgia to add value to purchasing a Saturn, am I better off just not buying one?

Last I heard Saturn emulation was still a bit dire, so owning a Saturn is still pretty much the only way to play some of its classics. I’d look through a few “best of” lists and see how many games pique your interest. If it’s more than a few, grab a Saturn.

What’s the status on pirating saturn games? For those of us that want to play saturn games but don’t care about getting legit physical copies of games?

IIRC this was briefly discussed in the Saturn thread on Old SB but you can now mod your Saturn to use an SD card as a drive or something to that effect? Presumably all that’s holding you back then is finding rips of the games you want.

There’s a switch trick and supposedly modchips but don’t know if the modchips are for sale. As soon as I put serious time in to the Saturn I bought in novermber I’ll let you know about how easy the swaptrick is to do.

But the answer is no don’t get a saturn because emulation is actually good enough for most things.

2 Likes

Chiming in a bit late on the Saturn discussion, but I reckon you should just buy one. Get an action replay cart or a japanese saturn and import your games - you could start your collection relatively inexpensively with, say, pd zwei, layer section, nights, maybe even soukyu or strikers 1945. If you want to avoid ebay, I’ve had good experiences with both japangamestock.com and akiba-games.com.

On a completely unrelated note, I need some advice on buying a ps4 vs a new gaming laptop. Street fighter v is just around the corner so I figure it’s about time I invest in a console so I can play new stuff (currently only have a 3ds and 360). The thing is, I really hate the ps4 as a piece of technology - there’s no reason I’d want to own one except to play sfv and some other stuff, so I’m reluctant to buy one. I’m also sharing a unit with my partner so I’d feel a bit guilty about colonising our living area, especially since she works long hours and likes to watch tv to unwind.

As an alternative, I’ve been thinking that I need to upgrade my current laptop situation (currently using a mid 2012 macbook air that’s starting to do weird stuff), so I thought I could kill two birds etc and buy a gaming laptop - something I’ve not really considered doing in the past. I like the idea of just using steam as my main platform (also because of their “exclusives” like shooters or indie titles that don’t tend to appear on consoles), and having the option of playing games in the study or bedroom. I also use my laptop for a lot of work related stuff (though no intensive video/image editing), and msi’s ghost pro series of laptops in particular seem pretty good for general use (good keyboards etc) as well as having the portability of an ultrabook, which is important for me.

The downside is that gaming laptops are hella expensive (you could probably set up a high end desktop for less money, though I have no need for a desktop), and, well, they’re gaming laptops - they’re just pretty dumb. The rhetoric surrounding them is just hyper aggressive and macho and DOMINATE YOUR OPPONENTS etc and I think jeez do I really want to buy into this culture?

Basically I think I just need someone to tell me if this reasoning sounds logical or not - is a gaming laptop ever justified?

I’d say go with the PS4 – posted a bunch about it in here. Shrinking from ATX to mini-ITX- should I go skylake?

gaming laptops are pretty terrible.

2 Likes

Sweet, thanks Felix - missed that thread. I think you’re right. Reading your post on the ps4 and pc gaming makes me think that I’ve written off the ps4 a bit too quickly.

No, it kind of isn’t. You cannot “kill two birds” here, get that tempting idea out of your mind. You get to choose between a bulky monster which mostly will stay chained to a single desk, or you get a lightish one that despite costing 2000$ still struggles to run games at medium quality settings. Or a sucky continuum in between. The problem is so bad that OEMs are proposing this external graphics enclosure thing: CES 2016: Razer Blade Stealth Has External GPU Dock - PC Perspective (but don’t hold your breath, that will probably suck too). If you want to avoid disappointment, don’t buy a laptop as a primary gaming machine – buy a laptop for non-gaming and just be content with whatever subset of games it happens to allow you to play on the go.

BTW, top-end gaming laptops from Razer are basically the same hardware as a top-end Macbook Pro, so just get a bootcamped Mac if you want a different cultural connotation.

My gaming laptop stays mostly chained to the end of my lounger. It’s a nice setup. The next gaming PC I go for will probably be a smallform desktop though

god they’ve been proposing those ridiculous external GPU notebook docs for like ten years now

1 Like

Yeah, I think that’s the main issue here - just being content with what I can play on technology I already own/a reasonably priced console. There’s no miracle laptop solution as you say.

They’re kind of starting to look not awful? Like I think some of these newer ones can actually be upgraded and everything!

This isn’t one quick question! But if I separate it into successive questions maybe it’s like a threefor. Maybe @Felix can help here:

Ever since the Mother thread I’ve been looking into an emulator solution to play NES/SNES/GBA games. I want it small and pretty and useful, and I stumbled upon https://learn.adafruit.com/pigrrl-2/overview and https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/emulation-on-raspberry-pi-2/. It looks like the Rasp Pi 2 can do a lot of stuff!

Anyways, my mind is going wild right now.

First of all, I’m looking for a cheap box I can connect to my TV and some extra controllers. I’d really just like to play Mother 2. This should be an easy rec for anyone.

Second project, I have been reading about custom NES paletts and custom NES sprites. Does anyone know of GRAPHIC MODs for NES games? I’d like to see what other people have done. I have these NES style graphics I’ve made that I would love to see turned into something cool…

Thirdly, has anyone done a pigrrl2? Shit looks super dope.

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=1&perpage=50&Graphics=on&hacksearch=Go
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=7&perpage=20&Graphics=on&hacksearch=Go

consider also for reference http://www.spriters-resource.com/custom_edited/thelegendofzeldacustoms/

Depends on what your needs are, but you can get a fairly adequate gaming PC if you keep an eye out for one at slick deals.

This is an expired deal, but my friend bought one of those for 200 bucks and it runs MGSV at almost max settings and is obviously cheaper than a PS4

Since Sunless Sea is having a free Steam weekend I’m for sure going to play it but I want to know if my save files will be preserved in some form just in case I do decide to buy the game in some future sale?

you’ll definitely keep the local files at least, unsure about cloud

what’s up with this? looked around a bit and couldn’t find anything official to do with it. found on the most recent toco toco tv video, at 1’38".