Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

I will get Titanfall 2!

…from my local Redbox because I don’t have Full Game money right now, and I will play through the supposedly awesome campaign and then fuck off back to Overwatch.

yeah let me know about that campaign if you would

Brock is playing it and says he likes it.

I’m planning on picking it up next week maybe. The beta really sold me on the joy of movement in that game. Probably on PS4.

https://tcrf.net/Kingdom_Hearts_Re:Chain_of_Memories

Anybody with some Japanese knowledge able to glean any information from the “Robot Control” screenshots at the bottom? I assume it’s for manipulating enemies in battle, or maybe making demos, but I really have no idea and would like to know.

Looks like it’s a bunch of settings for controlling the player character via AI. Probably for automating certain tests?

The text is really weird but it spends a lot of time talking about probability settings and how you shouldn’t set them to a value over 1000.

1 Like

Anyone with a buddy and 2 PC compatible dual analog controllers and some time? We are looking for some playtesters for Combat Jr. If you playtest and send your thoughts back we’d be super stoked and we’ll prob throw you a key for the final game. Cheers cheers cheers

1 Like

If I was going to play a tower defence game which one/s should I play (aside from Sanctum 2 (maybe excluding any FPS))?

did anyone here ever get into offworld trading company? I respect the heck out of soren johnson and I like that he’s made what’s basically a much tighter anno with a reactive/multiplayer focus because tabletop stuff can’t do this amount of math or realtime pacing, but I found the tutorial simultaneously slow and overwhelming (as I tend to with RTS stuff) and haven’t gone back. I’d be up for some multiplaying with sisbros, but it’s quite expensive…

What are the opinions here re:Penny Arcade specifically re:IndieMEGABooth at the PAX events? We’re thinking of showing, but it’s going to be expensive, and I also have heard some unsavory things re:PennyArcade being sexists/bigots/possiblymansplainersOrMRAgarbagepeople. But I could be wrong.

@spacetown?

I know a couple of people who exhibit at indiemegabooth despite being plenty fed up with gabe’s inability to stop broadcasting his often shitty politics and they’re pretty convinced that the experience is worthwhile

1 Like

Never been myself but I’ve always heard PAX described as the FUN E3 event especially for indies.

swear to fight gabe. promise that you will fight gabe with your body

1 Like

gabe is pretty shitty yeah, but I wouldn’t fault you for showing at the indiemegabooth if you manage to get there! it’s one of those “no ethical consumption under capitalism” things that you can’t really get around blah

like for me, I wouldn’t go out of principle, but I also don’t really have anything to gain from going to PAX and showing off my shitty demo game thing. I imagine it’d be a tougher decision if whatever I made had any popularity

but there’s a new contingent of cons and stuff getting big like gaymerx and stuff so if you want exposure AND the moral high ground look into that

God I wish. On the moral ground thing I’m also a pragmatic Bernie supporter who is going to vote Hillary, so… be a bigger game dev today then fight the broDork tomorrow is my plan?

I’m going to have a pretty serious financial meeting w/ the partner and I would very, very much prefer to go to alternate events but we need to both be happily committed on where we’re putting our money. We’re already going to GDC (you gonna be there?) and hoping to go to MAGFest… so… yup. The submissions for GDC and PAXEast Indie Megabooths are due tomorrow and our game is looking way good right now, so…

How is the SB opinion re: SXSW?

yay GDC I’m gonna be there I think

my shitty logic tells me that PAXEast is further removed from the PA stuff from GEOGRAPHY, if that helps at all. I mean, ultimately it’s about whether you think you’re gonna get the exposure you need, and PAX is a really, really popular expo so I’d just go for it and take the L on gabe

I mean he hasn’t really been in the news for doing anything shitty recently anyway

1 Like

I am wondering if going to PAXEast is like too much too soon. It’s November and we are just finishing the multiplayer portion of our game. That means we’d have three months to both start and finish the single player demo by then not to mention put together the bare minimum for crowdfunding and set up our social media like the real money making individuals that we want to be.

I messaged some folks about this, but I’m wondering if the hype machine would be better fed like mid summer or in the fall? PAX does a fall event, too? I dunno. This stuff. And the deadline is tomorrow. And I think @sufresh is gonna call any minute now

honestly you could do it in 3 months but it would probably mess you up! but I also understand the dangers of half-assedly putting forth your game

if it were me I’d wait but I like to plan shit out for a long time so ya just gotta talk about it dawg

I volunteer with IMB at PAX East, and I would not go to PAX otherwise (there’s just no draw for me without that group). Sometimes I do question the utility to the devs if they are particularly early on in the build process. I see it as more useful for building hype shortly before or after a release, for getting writeups/reviews on major sites, and for building relationships that can help expand your release platforms or build a streaming base. But from the write ups I’ve seen post-PAX, devs also find them useful as a source of play test feedback, especially if they’ve been working mostly in isolation of outside input.

So: might be helpful for you, I’d ask some of the smaller devs that have shown games at PAX in the past. If you reach out on Twitter or email you’ll probably get some good advice.

1 Like

FWIW local multiplayer games traditionally do better at the Megabooth, so you’d probably want to show the multiplayer and maybe feature the single player on just 1 machine for folks who are waiting for the current round to finish up. You want to aim for a 5-10 minute playtime, generally speaking. Anything longer and it can be hard to retain a line, unless spectating is particularly exciting. If you’re like a Thimbleweed Park with 4-5 machines you could go longer, but most teams wouldn’t have the resources/space for that.

2 Likes