Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

I picked up Bloodborne The Old Hunters today on the PSN Anniversary Sale but I haven’t played the game since it came out. I beat it and have my save file at the beginning of New Game+ but my skill at the game is going to be super rusty. Would I be better off just starting a new file to work my way into The Old Hunters?

Yes, I’d start a new game. The Old Hunters bosses are really tough and I wouldn’t want to fight them as NG+ for the first time. You’ll probably enjoy the replay anyway (certainly more than the soul farming you might end up doing to make the bosses easier).

1 Like

Cool beans thanks a lot!

So if I’m capturing video with Nvidia Shadowplay, what should I use to compress it for more reasonable youtube uploads without screwing up the quality too much? I was rendering with certain settings in Vegas that seemed okay before, but the videos were still pretty darn huge. Would appreciate any hot tips. Thanks.

Also, while I know it isn’t the best CUDA card, I have a 780ti. Are there certain programs that can take better advantage of that than others?

I’ve barely played Xenoverse but supposedly the sequel is just a few quality of life updates and incremental improvements. So, I’m figuring that means I’m allowed to pirate it as a “free update.” Thanks Namco.

This isn’t really a question, but feel free to validate me!

1 Like

Random Zelda dungeon generation has a few hits on google and many of those hits seem to be misses overall. Anyone have experience with this and wanna point me in the right direction?

edit: I have already put together an algorithm that I think will work well enough, but I wanna know what SelectButton has in store for me…

For Youtube specifically you should go with the settings they recommend somewhere on their site. What codec are you using? You’ll probably be able to find a good page of settings for Handbrake if you want to use that for finishing your video.

If you want to take advantage of CUDA you probably need something like Premiere? You probably don’t really need to bother unless you’re doing real demanding stuff.

I know nothing about this, but it appears to be exactly what you want.

wworld spoiler alert: robots are people too, there are some things that man should not trifle with

What if robuts but too much

2 Likes

Ayeee… So I played it…

There’s a hand crafted nature to a lot of the procedurally generated Zelda-likes. I think something like Binding of Isaac was relatively good compared to that. They had 1000s of templates and the generated dungeons pick from those templates. I think it worked overall, but I think it was problematic in that there very rarely felt like there was rhyme or reason to it all just like here.

Still looking for algorithims. Gonna work wiith the programmer tonight on our first run algorithim now.

Darius Kazemi’s explanation of Spelunky’s level generation algorithm is a good place to start. And it’s the best way to do procedural level generation in an action-game setting: hand-built rooms, with a bunch of variable pieces, randomly attached to each other.

Binding of Isaac’s generator is dirt-simple and works pretty well for Zelda dungeons and it’s built on this principle. Once you get fancy you can play with non-identically shaped rooms, and even – if you have Zelda-style transition points – you can cheat and not worry about them overalapping!

2 Likes

Don’t know if kids would stop, but I would start.

1 Like

It’s all just 0s and 1s anyway, so you’re in the clear in my books.

I don’t know if a current thread exists but I assume it does. I will (most likely) finally be getting a PC and wanted to solicit recommendations for cool PC games. Would someone be so kind as to direct me to a current thread that might help me? I tried searching but couldn’t find anything definitive and the SB curator list on Steam is rather pedestrian I must say.

Fill your fridge with weirdoes

1 Like

yea, people keep telling me to play Dark Messiah, maybe you could give me a two sentence description of the game? It looks like a good weird time, and that’s what I’m looking for generally but especially with with a PC.

@BustedAstromech oh man, my fridge will be stocked after that. Feel free to offer other suggestions as well.

Dark Messiah is an awesome adventure in Source physics and meaty animations. You can play as swordfight guy, sneaky guy or magic guy and it’s basically 3 different games. It’s kind of like Dishonored if Dishonored didn’t obviously look down on you for not being stealthy.

1 Like

did we play different Dishonoreds? Dishonored made playing an action game where you didn’t give a fuck about how many people you killed or how much damage you caused the more rewarding route because the final level is like 10x better when it’s not a total cakewalk.

But you have to play through the whole game to find that out. The rest of that time it’s telling you you’re CAUSING CHAOS and Samuel tells you you’re a piece of shit and there’s that unchecked GHOST checkbox staring at you every time you beat a level.